Rad Sat Daily

Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • NiceMac's Open Source Apps Help Sirius Focus on Core [View article]
    JamesPS, I think it’s ok if the application developer wraps their own advertising around the application. The main goal for Sirius XM would be to gain more subscribers paying the satellite radio subscription fee. It's ok if Sirius XM Radio wants to create an application for different platforms but it shouldn’t be the only application available.

Your point about Sirius XM being too late to market with innovative delivery solutions is accurate. This is why it would be advantageous for Sirius XM to remove or limit itself from the business of application development and focus more on its core as a content provider.

As for Apple your comment about iTunes, I agree. iTunes is a market leader and a major competitive advantage for Apple. Apple currently has no reason to open up iTunes. Apple however was very smart in creating a SDK for their iPhone. Allowing other independent developers to fairly easily create applications for the iPhone was very ingenious by Apple.
    Apr 6, 2009. 03:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: Does Sirius XM Have a New Competitor? [View article]
    Bentley and Kia are competitors. If I walk into a dealership and a Bentley and Kia are sitting next to each other and those are my only two choices and I had to choose one I'm walking away with the Kia because I cant afford the Bentley. LMAO

Thanks for the competition example

ROFL
    Jun 3, 2009. 08:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2009 New York International Car Show Review: WIFI Access in Chrysler Vehicles [View article]
    That's why it would be dependent on the launch of new satellites with more capabilities.

On Apr 13 05:36 PM colindgrant wrote:

> There is a significant jump from Satellite Radio to Satellite Internet
    > service in your car. The former simply sends the same stream of channels
    > everywhere and the communication is one way - from the satellite
    > to your receiver. Internet service implies an individual stream to
    > each user, and the enabling of two way communication.
    Apr 13, 2009. 07:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NiceMac's Open Source Apps Help Sirius Focus on Core [View article]
    Bababooie,

"expecting Banks to allow Home Loans to individuals who do not qualify."

The above is a imperfect analogy. This is exactly what happened in the sub prime mess. :)

If the service provider exposes an api for the software developer to utilizes, the software developer is just creating his/her own implementation of the API.

The API would already be quality controlled by the service provider.

Twitter, Facebook, etc all have APIs making the service more viral. I know satellite radio is a different kind of service but similar concept applies. If the service provider provides a API all the software developers would be getting the information that the service provider exposes in the same way. The service provider could decide what they choose to expose or not to expose etc.

Apr 7, 2009. 05:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NiceMac's Open Source Apps Help Sirius Focus on Core [View article]
    Cos1000,

Yes, I beta tested the iPhone app NiceMac came up with and it was pretty slick. I also used their windows player intermittently also.

As for the debatable point, there is a level of indirection there, but I feel your point about the FCC not regulating the internet.

If Sirius XM is going to provide open device access to device manufactures they should provide the same open access to the internet stream is my general point. Regardless of if its FCC mandated or not. The same reasons of applying openness for device manufacturers (promote competition, protect
    consumers, and spur technological innovation) also applies to the companies internet stream as demonstrated from this NiceMac situation.

I'm almost certain that the Open Device mandate of devices that is supposed to happen this summer is a blessing in disguise for the satellite radio company. It may lead to a resurgence of the retail channel because of the variety of satellite radio devices we may see from it in the future.

I strongly believe the same applies to the internet stream as well.

Additionally, if Sirius is grounded in their contract with their current developer (exclusivity, etc) then it’s a disappointingly written contract. :)
    Apr 6, 2009. 08:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment