Rafael Grillo

View Rafael Grillo's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Lululemon Athletica - Another Disappointment And CFO Departure Might Create An Opportunity [View article]
    LULU seems to be following the path of yesterday's retail wonders, like ARO and AEO. It used to be a cult brand, it created the "yoga lifestyle". But they failed to innovate and evolve their positioning when they were at the top, and the consumer moved on. It is turning in a small niche player, while its bigger, more dynamic competitors picked up on what they created and ate their lunch. Consumers simply moved on. The quality debacle was the straw that broke the camel back, as it allowed previously committed consumers to ty competitive options, and likely realize there was better value to be had. I see no turnaround possibilities here. It's either LBO or acquisition for this company. But that is a long shot, and not more investable than betting on a fading horse.
    Jun 13, 2014. 08:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Whole Foods Earnings: A Peek Behind The Curtain [View article]
    WFM is a crapshoot into this earnings report. Definitely a leader in its segment, but with more competition. Weather will not help with the comps, and the Street is not in the mood to overlook or forgive the slightest slip. It will go up big or it will crash badly. I love the company, but I agree; I will watch from the sidelines.
    Feb 11, 2014. 07:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sprint rallies following T-Mobile CEO remarks, 4G update [View news story]
    Just switched from Sprint to T-mobile. The store was packed when I did the transaction. So far, really happy. Pricing is a lot better. Their recent offer to cover cancellation fees when moving from other carriers must be creating a lot of volume for them. I agree: long TMUS.
    Jan 27, 2014. 06:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple edges higher as 5S/5C arrive, gold 5S output reportedly upped [View news story]
    Apple can't continue launching products without enough supply in hand. Worse than having uninterested customers is having disappointed ones. Fascinating how a seemingly small aesthetic detail can have such an impact on consumer response. As for me, grey is pecisely what I wanted!
    Sep 22, 2013. 09:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I have to admit I was skeptical about this line-up. But it is obvious Apple still has the touch. I am convinced these phones will be blockbusters. There is a sensibility in Apple products no one is able to replicate.
    Sep 20, 2013. 06:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Darden's Battle Against An Ever-Changing Consumer [View article]
    DRI shouldn't look for excuses for dismal results. Perhaps with the exception of Olive Garden, the experience at their restaurants is utterly awful. They can't seriously expect consumers to pay ever higher prices for tasteless, unsightly food. It is that simple. DRI is yet another example of companies that forget to give consumers something worth the money they are asking from them.
    Sep 20, 2013. 03:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons I Think a Bull Market Rally Is Imminent [View article]
    Make it a four year rally!
    Sep 15, 2013. 09:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Leave Apple's Cash Alone - It Will Need It Soon [View article]
    You might have not paid full attention to the article. I mention both ITunes and App Store as the key to the success of the iPod, iPhone and iPad. Indeed Apple has been about content. That's my whole point. Content being so critical, the question is what needs to be the nature of the content for the eco-system's next frontier, which naturally seems to be TV. How can Apple truly dominate and disrupt that medium? Clearly it can't put its own future into the hands of the current content providers and become a hostage to their whim. I am actually counting on Apple's boldness to do something like what I am expecting. Anything less and you would have just another mundane content distributor scrounging for crumbs with the likes of Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc. And that... That would not be Apple's style.
    Mar 2, 2013. 09:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Leave Apple's Cash Alone - It Will Need It Soon [View article]
    Gary, this comment could be a full article itself. Brilliantly articulated. Thank you!
    Mar 2, 2013. 08:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Leave Apple's Cash Alone - It Will Need It Soon [View article]
    I agree those would also be viable acquisitions. But Comcast, with the acquisition of NBC Universal, is now also a producer of content. They did it exactly for the reasons you mention. Thus, Comcast offers a full package, ownng from production to distribution. A robust, integrated base from which to grow.
    Feb 28, 2013. 04:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Leave Apple's Cash Alone - It Will Need It Soon [View article]
    Exactly my point. Comcast is an integrated communications company, owning from production to distribution. I thought about the AOL/TWX merger. In reality, AOL was not bringing anything to the table. It was just a glorified dial-up company. Apple brings technological know-how and hardware/software integration that can take the delivery of content to a new level.
    Feb 28, 2013. 04:15 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon: Investing in the Transferable Ecosystem [View article]
    Yet another development. As indicated in my article, the tablet onslaught has not only not affected Amazon, but with Kindle Fire, Amazon is actually leveraging it. My case continures as strong today as in March.
    Dec 10, 2011. 12:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • These Stocks Should Benefit From an Increase in Consumer Confidence [View article]
    I like to keep track of the performance of the stocks I mention in my articles. This is the score since the day this article was published up to today:
    Hits:
    M +23.9%, WMT -3.0%, DRI +11.1%, SBUX +10.7%, WFM +19.2%, COH +10.3%, HD +0.2%, BBBY +11.4%, DIS +5.0%, PCLN +22.6%, V +12.7%
    Misses:
    MCD +8.4%, BBY -8.1%, SHLD -1.0%, LUV -1.4%, HOT -7.0%, F -17.7%, JPM -2.0%
    May 19, 2011. 12:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon: Investing in the Transferable Ecosystem [View article]
    The "digital ink" on this article was not yet dry when Amazon announced the launch of its music cloud service. A vivid example of the 'transferable' ecosystem I introduced in my article.
    Mar 30, 2011. 03:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: The Leader That Others Continue to Follow [View article]
    Who am I kidding? What I want is the iPad 2!
    Mar 3, 2011. 07:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment