View Randy Carlson's Articles BY TICKER:
Tesla's Big Battery Building - Doom Or Progress?
- News reports at the end of last week suggested Tesla is in trouble and its schedule slipping at its Nevada battery factory.
- In spite of Tesla's emphatic denials, fear, uncertainty and doubt around Tesla's progress lingers into the weekend.
- Direct, on-the-ground observation Saturday morning lays these concerns to rest. Tesla continues forward at a rapid pace.
Tesla: Gigafactory Tipping Point
- Tesla's continuing success in electric cars, SuperChargers, and grid storage can richly reward investors.
- Batteries are key and Tesla needs batteries - good, cheap, and plentiful enough, soon.
- A new cell, better cell chemistry, and manufacturing efficiencies point to a winning Model 3, faster SuperCharging, and killer grid storage products.
- Battery feedstocks could be a stumbling block, but suppliers are already positioning to deliver.
- Tesla's battery progress is key to the company's value, and investors should pay close attention.
Tesla: Real Competition Ahead?
- New BEVs are coming to market that may be competition for Tesla.
- Zero-Emissions Vehicle requirements in major car market states are forcing ICE carmakers to make and sell more Battery Electric Vehicles.
- ICE carmakers are targeting compliance BEVs toward lower-end market segments to avoid cannibalizing their high-margin ICE cars, SUVs and pickup trucks.
- A comparison of GM's Bolt with Tesla's Model 3 offers insight into the evolving BEV market space.
Tesla: Importance Of The GigaFactory
- Tesla's high share price is justified on the basis of rapid, long-term successful growth of their car business.
- Growth of the scale Tesla plans with their Gigafactory is rare, but an interesting and relevant historic parallel does exist.
- Recent pictures of the Gigafactory show the tremendous scale of this project and that it is progressing rapidly.
- Information in Tesla's most recent 10-Q filing gives some insight and Model X news may give more insight into critical Gigafactory progress.
End Of Tesla, Or End Of Oil?
- Tesla shares, along with energy stocks have followed crashing oil prices.
- Tesla's business and product strategy may insulate it from the effects of cheaper oil and gasoline.
- Lower oil prices could portend the end of the age of oil, but cheap oil and gasoline could end Tesla if its performance car strategy fails.
Tesla's Strategic Advantage
- Tesla electric cars are different than those coming from established carmakers - and this will continue to be the case for years to come.
- Differing business models constrain legacy carmakers' ability to directly and effectively compete against Tesla.
- Tesla is not threatened by PHEVs and hybrids because Tesla cars compete against high-end, high performance internal combustion engine (ICE) cars, not "electrified" versions.
- Tesla enjoys a long-term strategic competitive advantage that allows Tesla to attack existing high-end, high-margin market segments while avoiding direct competition.
- As the market comes to fully appreciate Tesla's strategic advantage, company valuation will increase and shareholders will see gains.
Tesla's 'D', A Disappointment And Huge Financial Risk
- Tesla's Model S P85D delivered the predicted level of performance, and little more.
- With Model X deliveries delayed until summer 2015, this is Tesla's desperate attempt to have AWD available for ski season.
- Tesla (and Chairman Elon Musk) may face huge buyback liability as 2WD Model S cars glut market when high-end Tesla owners switch to the P85D.
Tesla: Worrier's Analysis
- TSLA is still priced far beyond the fundamentals.
- Recent pullback is not untypical for this growth-story stock.
- The "bound of hope" is approaching the "bound of fear", so watch for Tesla news.
- January 2015 may turn out to be crunch time for TSLA.
Tesla's Road To Lithium
- Tesla's GigaFactory being built in Nevada will use huge quantities of battery-grade lithium carbonate.
- Securing a reliable lithium carbonate source is critical to Tesla's future profitability.
- The Nevada-Tesla deal contains a small item with large implications for Tesla's lithium supply.
- This also exposes synergy in Albemarle's pending acquisition of Rockwood Holdings and BASF's rumored interest in acquiring Albemarle.
Tesla, Are We About To Be Surprised?
- Tesla's Fremont production line is shut down for Model X production upgrades.
- Tesla is a momentum stock, and predictable news of higher Model S production following the shutdown/upgrade is likely to boost shares.
- But the upgrade will give Tesla new capabilities, beyond greater capacity, and Tesla may surprise us with some things new and things different before Model X arrives.
Tesla's Fuel Cell Threat
- Fuel cells could be the death of Tesla, even if fuel cell cars aren't as good.
- It's the cost of the car, not just the cost of the cells that matters.
- Tesla's Giga Factory tells the story, and investors should pay very special attention.
- Is Cadillac's ELR A Tesla Competitor? Maybe
- Tesla's Battery Swap - What We Really Saw
- Tesla: Sober Judgment
- Should Tesla Buy Fiat?
- Foam On Tesla's Wave
- Tesla: Blocking, Tackling, Waiting For A TD
- Time Short For Tesla Shorts?
- The 3 Tesla Secrets
- Tesla's Car Financing - What I Think Happened
- Tesla, What Could It Be We're Waiting To See?
- SuperCharging Tesla
- Tesla Earnings: What To Look For
- EV Investors Can Learn From Boeing's Battery
- Has Tesla Solved The Road Trip Problem?
- Will Tesla Disrupt?
- Why Tesla Has It Right And GM, Ford And Nissan Have It Wrong