Randy Smythe

View Rksmythe's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Mr. Ballmer: Pull the Yahoo Offer Now! [View article]
    James Z,

The reality is; the true value of a company is how much somebody is willing to pay for it and when there is only one bidder they can set their price.

I appreciate Yahoo's attempts at gaining some type of leverage, but the end result will be the same and at this point all they are going to do is piss off MSFT by their delay tactics.

This is business, not charity. Why should MSFT pay anymore than they have to, especially since nobody else is bidding.

It would take real balls to walk away right now but I think they should. Yahoo will only have themselves to blame.
    Apr 11 02:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mr. Ballmer: Pull the Yahoo Offer Now! [View article]
    Okay the Texas Hold-em analogy wasn’t the best. A poker player doesn't win by leaving the table, but in this case MSFT does win if they leave the table.

Reno, thanks for reading the post and not getting stuck on the poker analogy. In one short paragraph you said what I took a whole post to say.

They pull the offer now and come back later to
    Apr 11 10:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon Prime: Continued Growth All But Guaranteed [View article]
    Rams MBA,

I agree that Amazon and eBay have significantly different business models and that eBay certainly has the preferable profit model, but Amazon is addressing that by expanding their 3P business, which will allow them to expand margins while maintaining their competitive advantage as an online retailer.

I don’t look at either of these companies from the perspective of the investor. I like the fact that Amazon pushes the envelope and has long-term goals for their business while on the other hand I don’t like that eBay “milks” profits from a supposed mature business and seems to manage their business quarter by quarter.

I believe that eBay should take a longer-term approach to the Marketplace business and get back to growing rather than just managing. Unfortunately this would call for some short-term pain and their margins would be squeezed a little. Recently I’ve seen some signs that eBay’s new management team gets it, but the jury is still out.

I come from the perspective of the online seller so if I seem negative toward eBay it is because I often disagree with the direction they are taking. I think Amazon has issues as well but I like their approach. I can see their vision for the Amazon of the future. I can’t figure out what eBay wants to be “when they grow up”.

I’m an advocate for the online merchant and believe that 3P sellers should have their own website in addition to selling on Amazon and eBay. Call it the “Power of Three” Website, Amazon and eBay. Right now there is too much uncertainty surrounding eBay but hopefully that will change.
    Mar 24 12:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon Prime: Continued Growth All But Guaranteed [View article]
    User 147228

For a disclosure, please read my bio. I do not own any shares in eBay or Amazon and I shut my eBay busness down in 2006.

You are correct, my assertion that Amazon wouldn't be expanding Prime if it wasn't successful is subjective, but it is also logical.

I've only been selling on Amazon for 2 quarters and the only data I have is from the 4th quarter of 2007 and the first quarter this year and that is the data I used.

As for when Amazon Prime will payoff for members just refer to Greg in Al's comment below yours.

BTW, how about some disclosure on your comments.
    Mar 24 10:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay Management and Sellers Need Relationship Advice [View article]
    whattheheck, with eBay there is a unique emotional attachment that make the analogy fair. Sellers don't have the same relationship with Amazon becasue its always been just business there. For so many years eBay was about family and business.

For those outside of eBay this is difficult to fathom, but very real none-the-less.
    Mar 12 03:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Ever Happened to eBay's _____? [View article]
    vacz, I singled out eBay because the post was about eBay. It was not a treatice on Internet failures.

User 153301, I've written worse posts than this.
    Feb 27 01:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Should Call Yahoo's Bluff and Refuse to Raise Its Bid [View article]
    Completely dropping their offer and then coming back when Yahoo capitulates may take longer, but no longer than a Proxy fight. And a boardroom battle, as you suggest, woul not be good.

Ultimately, I don't think Ballmer has the balls to do it though but I certainly would like to see it.
    Feb 12 03:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Oceandude - the difference is in perception. I'm sure Microsoft was prepared to up their offer. I think the $40 a share that Yahoo is suggesting is a little rich. Calling their bluff is just a negotiating ploy. Walk away, watch Yahoo's share price take a dump because there is nobody else out their to save them. The up you over a few bucks a share to help Yahoo save face. All the while $34 a share is what you were willing to pay.

I don't think Mr. Softy would do that but when nobody else stepped to the plate it became an option.

Tillman, yes people do know how much Microsoft wants Yahoo but they still hold all of the leverage. If they push back from the table and say "see ya" what do you think would happen in Yahoo's board room?

What are the other options? Merging with AOL