Ray Merola

View Ray Merola's Comments BY TICKER:
    whiteowl

Indeed. However, AT&T has the size and heft to weather a storm or wear out competitors. The size and strength of the organization makes it unlikely they have to apologize to anyone.

I agree that disruptive technology and delivery systems could force the AT&T business model to adjust. But adjust it will; one of the things I try never to forget is that good businesses don't just "take it." They morph and re-imagine in a sea change.

Which brings me to a concern about AT&T: while I believe the management team is competent, I am not overly impressed with the general cadence of the organization. I recognize that the CEO and CFO are the faces of the business, but there is a tone at the top. I'm not convinced this is a AT&T strength, though I'm not in the camp that it's a material weakness.
    Feb 25, 2015. 08:09 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I agree, wdchil

AT&T is not without risks: both from the outside and from within (execution risk). However, the dividend can cover a lot of hanging around waiting for things to sort out.

Part of my investment thesis is the dividend (and its slow annual advance) is unassailable.
    Feb 25, 2015. 06:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    jsehr

Your point about AT&T using DirecTV as a segway to cross-selling other services is very important.
    Feb 25, 2015. 06:23 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Accumulate AT&T Shares While No One Is Paying Attention [View article]
    Absolutely, David. Absolutely. A rock-solid dividend yield of 5.5% cannot be swept under the rug. It's critical to the total return narrative, especially when reinvested.
    Feb 25, 2015. 06:21 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Another good point, 21811041

Forwards EPS is on future earnings, and as such, is dependent upon the accuracy of the forecast.
    Feb 25, 2015. 06:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Accumulate AT&T Shares While No One Is Paying Attention [View article]
    Yes, David, this is correct.

I've found that S&P IQ generally parallels the company's "operating earnings" closely. However, there's either a different "interpretation," or a bust from time-to-time.

This is why I always utilize the company's web site to verify operating earnings. It's my prerogative to accept or dispute how they record operating earnings, but I want the company's numbers as a baseline.
    Feb 25, 2015. 06:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Accumulate AT&T Shares While No One Is Paying Attention [View article]

My view is the dividend (and annual, but small raises) are quite safe. Management knows where their bread is buttered.
    Feb 25, 2015. 03:33 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Accumulate AT&T Shares While No One Is Paying Attention [View article]
    I think you've got a good plan, EsotericPath. Have to agree that we're due for some sort of general market pullback, and it may provide an opportunity to add a few AT&T shares at a better price.

I'd like to do the same.
    Feb 25, 2015. 03:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • EOG Resources Not Interested In Race To The Bottom [View article]
    Excellent article, Casey

EOG is the best-of-breed domestic producer. Focused upon returns, the management team is shareholder-friendly and arguably premier in the space.

What are your thoughts around EOG talking about drilling, but not completing certain wells to maintain leasehold acreage? Is this a major issue?
    Feb 25, 2015. 01:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    aida2003

I believe the DTV deal is integral to where AT&T management wants to go. It's the #1 subscriber TV provider in Latin America. The business is placing a bet on expanding its services from the U.S. into Central and South America.

So I think it's better for AT&T to get the deal done.

The spectrum issue (for which AT&T paid a king's ransom) is paid over time. The company will pay largely through borrowing; the recent credit downgrade from A to BBB+ was a result of the spectrum deal. That's part of doing business here. No spectrum, no network growth. AT&T has an excellent domestic network.
    Feb 25, 2015. 01:44 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Gary

It's wise to check more than one valuation methods when attempting to place a forward target on a stock. There's any number of perfectly valid options; and up to the investor to decide which work best for a specific ticker. P/CF is excellent, and works well for businesses like AT&T that generate lots of operating cash. Indeed, AT&T 2014 EPS was $2.54. OCF per share was up there at $6.00.

A major point of this article is I'm thinking one can purchase shares of AT&T that historically have offered very slow growth; but pocketing a potential ticket for modest growth through the aforementioned Latin America and telecommunication product initiatives. What do you think?
    Feb 25, 2015. 01:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Good comments, 21811041

Chucks' approach is valid. I actually prefer a modified Graham-Dodd formula: P/E = 9 + (0.5g). In the case of T, this yields an even lower "theoretical" P/E result.

Notice in the FAST graphs, the orange GDF P/E is 15x. There's been periods when AT&T has grown faster than 2.4%; but I am not sure why the chart used 15x versus 13.6x. Interesting point.

In any event, the ACTUAL long-term, trimmed average P/E has been 16x. This is typically where I focus my attention.

Certainly, your point is reasonable. When forecasting a target price, no one could argue using a GDF based, long-term 13.6x P/E isn't prudent. It would indicate that T shares are trading about fair value. It builds in a bigger factor of safety.
    Feb 25, 2015. 12:58 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hello smurf

Thank you for reading and the kind words.

Going in, DirecTV will remain very separate from AT&T. The FTC will require that. There's concerns about U-verse and DTV getting too close right away.
    Feb 25, 2015. 12:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    8210021

I've not tried to fully net out all the new revenue sources, particularly from the new international businesses (Iuacell and Nextel). Iusacell and Nextel aer relatively small: a billion or two in revenue. DirecTV is a bigger deal, bringing in ~$35 billion a year.

Indeed, all these businesses have competition. However, the situation in Latin America is different than here in the U.S., where Teleco is hyper-competitive. In L.A., the penetration rate is far lower. It's a different ballgame in several respects. Part of the AT&T challenge will be operating in a non-U.S. environment.
    Feb 25, 2015. 12:40 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Corbet,

I agree. I don't mix my politics with investing if I can help it. The thing with our friends in Washington: wait awhile and they go away. Maybe for the better or worse, but they all go away eventually.
    Feb 25, 2015. 12:21 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment