Ray Merola

View Ray Merola's Comments BY TICKER:

• An Assorted List Of Mojo, Catalyst, Overhang And Contrarian Stocks For 2015 - Mid-Year Review [View article]
    That is uncanny, markone

Likewise, I purchased additional Nucor shares a few pennies above $43. GM's price action is absolutely horrendous. I guess traders are fretting the China stock market implosion will crater auto sales and destroy GM earnings.

I believe June saw ~4.5% increase in China sales. That needs to be verified.

During times of market volatility, I tend to do very little. Just read and watch. Especially with earnings reports around the corner, I don't plan to try to game the market.
    Jul 8, 2015. 02:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Annaly Capital Management And The Guide To Book Value Vs. Earnings [View article]
    Another excellent article, CWM

Question: NLY shares are trading well below book. This hasn't been the case throughout most of its existence. At what point should one consider selling Annaly (or a mREIT in general) on over-valuation?

Would a P/Book much greater than 1.0x be a yellow flag?
    Jul 8, 2015. 08:25 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Battle For Williams Heats Up [View article]
    What facts and valuation metrics lead you to believe ETE is an overvalued equity? Based upon cash flow, I think ETE sells below Fair Value.
    Jul 7, 2015. 09:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wading Into The Oil Patch? Focus On The Balance Sheet - Part IV [View article]
    BG Group produces gas, but also some oil complicating isolating purchase price / mcf. Using $70 billion acquisition cost, and the data on the link found below, it appears Shell may pay ~$5.80 boe for proven, discovered, and probable reserves; and ~$23 boe for proven reserves. Please double-check my math.

Jul 5, 2015. 09:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment

Having a good family Texas BBQ today, and wishing you all a safe and happy Independence Day, too.
    Jul 4, 2015. 12:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mark

I truly appreciate the encouraging comments. Thank you.

I learn a lot from my readers, too.

Happy 4th of July.
    Jul 3, 2015. 09:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wading Into The Oil Patch? Focus On The Balance Sheet - Part III [View article]
    cool beans, Jennifer! thank you. happy 4th of July.
    Jul 3, 2015. 01:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Veritas1010

Thank you for commenting, and the very kind words.

Exxon is one of those stocks whereas it's hard to argue ownership. Up or down, thick or thin, it's just a staple, and a titan of American investing. In many ways, Royal Dutch Shell represents to Europe what ExxonMobil is here.

You've got a slice of both.

Wishing you a safe and happy Independence Day weekend.
    Jul 3, 2015. 11:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Estimating GM's 2016 Earnings [View article]
    Thank you for a well reasoned article.

I wonder if resolution of the ignition switch issue / DoJ fine will lift the overhang on the shares. Fundamentals are good; price action has been horrible.
    Jul 2, 2015. 10:58 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Appreciate the kind words and upbeat message, CapeCap

All the best to you and your family, too.

Ray
    Jul 2, 2015. 10:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Annaly Capital Management And The Fake Discount To Book [View article]
    RS

The problem is the management agreement; which was approved by shareholders in 2013. I am not making excuses for NLY management; however, if shares are repurchased, it takes money out of their pockets.
    Management is remunerated by improving book value, not BV per share.

The agreement needs to be changed. I've written Vanguard (one of the 2 largest shareholders) about it. Also sent a complimentary letter to the director of Artisan, a fund that wrote Annaly directors and management about enacting a buyback plan.
    Jul 2, 2015. 04:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Simply Outrageous Call On Gold [View article]
    Appreciated highly the article containing most interesting insights and commentary about the yellow metal.

However, I had to get past the $25K prediction in 50 years.

I'll surely be dead before then....
    Jul 2, 2015. 01:36 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reuters: Union Pacific imposing big surcharge on older crude railcars [View news story]
    literally....and there's a number of oil pipelines being built. while it will not undo crude-by-rail, it will put a pretty big dent in it.
    Jul 2, 2015. 12:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    djsulli

I think that's a good bet. Van Beurden appears to have a different mindset, but I've been disappointed time before. However, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. While in Shell Chemical, he was known for a no-nonsense approach, cost discipline, and focus upon returns.
    Jul 2, 2015. 11:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Jeff B

This series of articles has focused upon the balance sheet. In the preface, I noted that accurately forecasting cyclical companies' earnings and cash flow is very difficult during periods of high commodity volatility.

Furthermore, the balance sheet is not in the past. It is the financial foundation of a business viewed as a snapshot in time. The balance sheet is no less current than the most recent EPS or cash flow statement. The cash flow statement may be likened to a corporate checkbook.

My work on S.A. emphasizes cash flow (and free cash flow) as much as earnings; hence my saying, "Find well-managed companies with a sound balance sheet, strong franchise, that earning profits largely in cash, and are shareholder-friendly."
    Jul 2, 2015. 10:10 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment