Retired Securities Attorney

View Retired Securities Attorney's Comments BY TICKER:
  • A Scandal That Should Shock Nobody [View article]
    Well reasoned. Nicely done.

Thank you.
    Nov 22, 2014. 09:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron: New Projections And Price Targets [View article]
    Tai,

>>Yet remarks like being risk aversive and therefore not investing in AAPL is in my opinion misleading.<<

I said, "I think Apple is a great investment." Did you miss that?
    Nov 20, 2014. 10:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron: New Projections And Price Targets [View article]
    Monoj,

Thanks for telling me that. I can't tell the difference between interesting and boring since it's all interesting to me.
    Nov 19, 2014. 12:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron: New Projections And Price Targets [View article]
    I think Apple is a great investment. RAD may be a good investment but it is not suitable to my investment style. I am risk adverse. I don't like to lose more than a small amount of my investment.

I personally would not touch SCOK with a ten mile pole.

It's operations and plant are supposedly in China and it's a Chinese company. The plant might not even exist, or it might be owned by somebody else. You just can't tell. It's China.
    Nov 18, 2014. 11:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Intel Surprise Us At The November 20th Investor Conference? [View article]
    Peter,

>> Intel can now win either-or.<<

How about both-and?

By the way, nice job.
    Nov 18, 2014. 06:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron, Marvell slide after Einhorn pares stakes [View news story]
    Eric,

Speaking for myself, I really appreciate the editors of Seeking Alpha alerting us on significant news events regarding a stock I am following.

I neither need nor want them to attempt to "tell the whole story" which, by definition is impossible or add anything extraneous to the news itself.

Thank you.
    Nov 18, 2014. 06:11 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GT Advanced Technologies: Can Current Shareholders Walk Away With Any Value? [View article]
    David,

>>However, what policy max would they have on the E&O? Certainly not $2 billion.<<

That's why these suits are usually settled for peanuts - peanuts being equal to the policy limits. The insurance company often offers the policy limit when it knows that it is going to lose rather than losing the limit plus the cost of the defense.

Say the policy had a limit of $20 million. That would be one cent of the dollar for each shareholder. Deduct legal fees of 1/3 cent of the dollar and each shareholder gets 2/3 cent on the dollar.

I get these notices from class action lawyers all the time about amounts I have coming from a stock I sold ten years ago. Usually the postage of sending in the form is more than what I would get and that doesn't even count the cost of the envelop or the ink in filling out the form.
    Nov 18, 2014. 03:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: More Good News About The Mobile Losses [View article]
    Thanks, Cincy.
    Nov 18, 2014. 03:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: More Good News About The Mobile Losses [View article]
    Cincy,

Where did you see that announcement, if you remember. I only saw the Wall Street Journal article which began with:

"Intel Corp. plans to combine operations that handle chips for personal computers with those targeting smartphones and tablets, according to an email sent to employees by Chief Executive Brian Krzanich."

That doesn't seem consistent with what you saw.
    Nov 18, 2014. 12:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    David,

It will be the E&O insurance company paying the bill, not GTAT.
    Nov 18, 2014. 12:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Server Business Makes The Stock A Strong Buy [View article]
    gofy,

>>at anything near parity in cost/benefit to users there will be customers going with alternatives.<<

Exactly right.

So the fact that those alternatives have thus far not attracted anyone is full of significance. AMD is THE example of what has happened to Intel competitors that threatened its livelihood.

Intel reminds me of the IRS. If you find a perfectly legal loophole that allows you to avoid taxes, keep it to yourself. if you go into the business of marketing it to the world, thus threatening the livelihood of this nation, the IRS and the Justice Department will find a way to put you out of business and into prison, even if they have to make it up out of think air.
    Nov 18, 2014. 12:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: More Good News About The Mobile Losses [View article]
    Phred,

I would very much like to hear your speculation on those "whys" and "why nots." The more of us who speculate intelligently on this very confusing seemingly purposeless and counterproductive combination of the financial results of two very different operations at completely different stages of development, the more likely it is that some clue of what's really going on will emerge.

I'd also like to hear from Russ, Jaret, William Tidwell, and anyone else with a thought on the subject.

I'm pretty good at psyching out ulterior motives and I don't have a potential explanation in mind. I'm not used to that and I don't like the feeling at all.
    Nov 18, 2014. 12:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron: New Projections And Price Targets [View article]
    About that news...

DramExchange does not sound like an entity whose function is reporting the news. Rather, it always sounds to me like an entity with an ex to grin, one that is in the propaganda business, rather than the news reporting business.

From the article linked above:

1. “Samsung's main goal is to raise the production ratio of its 25nm products up to 70% by the end of the year, and to officially take steps to migrate towards the 20nm manufacturing process in 2015.”

DrameXchange could only have gotten this from Samsung. Who else would know what Samsung's main goal is? “Up to 70%”. Why not 75%, or 80%? Again, this had to come from Samsung.
    But, instead of noting the source of the opinion, like a legitimate news organization would, DrameXchange states one competitor's viewpoint as fact.

The sentence which immediately follows that one, and which ends the paragraph, is:
    “Its progress with manufacturing technology is currently ahead of all other DRAM manufacturers in the industry.”
    Stated as objective fact, rather than Samsung's propaganda, which seems to me is the obvious source since it follows the preceding sentence and ends the paragraph. In fact, the whole paragraph seems to me to exist solely to provide credibility for this sentence. There is no useful information in the paragraph other than this last sentence.

2. “From the fourth quarter of this year to the first quarter of 2015, SK Hynix's priorities will be to manufacture the majority of its products using the 25nm process, and to ensure that the mass production of its 21nm chips will be ready by mid-2015.”

3. Then there is a last paragraph written about Inotera, or Micron, or an un-named owner of “the Japanese's plant's equipment”. The author is confused and writes this paragraph like a high schooler, and not a very literate one.
    Then comes the point of the paragraph:
    “Inotera will undoubtedly require time to become familiar with the 20nm manufacturing process, considering that it directly skipped over the 25nm process. Judging by the obstacles that Samsung and SK Hynix faced when attempting to handle 20nm technology, TrendForce believes Micron will encounter similar challenges as it tries to get the most out of its 20nm manufacturing process.”
    Notice that it leaps from an opinion about Inotera to the same opinion about Micron without any reason stated. In fact, the statement “Given that the Japanese plant's equipment is vastly different than that used by Inotera...” made earlier in the same paragraph would negate the leap to a conclusion that Micron will have the same challenges as Inotera.

Also not that the article equates Micron with a US based owner of only Japanese and Taiwanese plants. Perhaps that is because Micron refuses to speak with them and they cannot know anything about:

Boise, Idaho
    R&D, including wafer fabrication; reticle manufacturing; test and module assembly

Lehi, Utah
    Wafer fabrication

Manassas, Virginia
    Wafer fabrication

Singapore
    Three wafer fabrication facilities and a test, assembly and module assembly facility

Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
    Module assembly and test

Xi’an, China
    Module assembly and test

Muar, Malaysia
    Assembly and test

All of these facts, taken together, convinces me that DrameXchange is a propaganda arm of two Korean memory manufacturers rather than a independent news service.

Sorry to bore you with this but this is the kind of analysis I had to do routinely when earning a living. I couldn't resist the temptation to share it.
    Nov 18, 2014. 11:35 AM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: More Good News About The Mobile Losses [View article]
    This is not good news.

Intel is combining its PC and Mobile Chip Groups into a new "Client Computing" Group, to start early next year. http://on.wsj.com/1yga4V3 (subscription required).

If Intel now reports the results on a combined basis, we will not easily be able to track Intel's progress in mobile since it will be obscured by the PC Client Group results. Not that it wasn't already obscured by the concept of contra revenue.

It is a lot of hard work backing into the results in mobile with the contra revenue obfuscation but it was doable. It is also doable with the further obfuscation of combining the two groups but it will take a lot of estimating and a whole lot more hard work.

Actually, the more that I think about it, the more that I think that maybe it isn't such bad news. I can do the work. I hate to because I'm inherently lazy but I can. And I don't think that most of the analysts can. Even the ones who can won't dare say what their results are since they will be based on so many guesstimates.

OK, I've changed my mind.

This is great news!
    Nov 17, 2014. 11:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: More Good News About The Mobile Losses [View article]
    TechResearch,

Speaking of TSMC announcing things, TSMC announced that 16nm FinFet would be shipping in 2013. http://bit.ly/1pJOkAx

What year is it now? What month is this? 45 more days to TSMC being two full years late with that announcement.

Let's revisit this in 2016 or 2017 and see if they can make it by then.

Once again, for those of you who may have missed it, I am personally announcing my own 1nm logic processor chip to be shipping soon. I am taking deposits now.
    Nov 17, 2014. 10:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment