Retired Securities Attorney

View Retired Securities Attorney's Comments BY TICKER:
  • After The Recent Rout Micron Is A Very Strong Buy [View article]
    Bravo! Great Job, too.
    Jul 3, 2015. 10:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel/Micron Joint Venture Might Not Last After 2018 [View article]
    Alex,

>>Yeah, but isn't that where the value is? In the facility that manufactures the SSDs, and the relating patents and IP pertaining to that facilities R&D, brand, and various other cross-licenses it has developed over the years?<<

You have to separate those items. The patents and IP do not go with the plant in the ordinary case. It takes a separate agreement which may (and likely would) involve royalty free perpetual licenses.

>>...wouldn't it be fair to assume that if Micron buys back the IMFT, after already buying the remainder of IMFP, that the impact would negate the financial upside for Intel pertaining to SSDs as it's a formed joint venture that shares the interest of the IP between both companies?<<

I don't think much, if at all. Intel already gets to buy 49% of the production at prices which approximate cost. Intel would have to use one of the shell plants it has around, or build a new one, and get into the NAND business itself. Since Intel is already in the NAND business to its server customers, it would either have to build one and make the NAND itself; make a satisfactory deal with Micron about supply; or just buy Micron.

Actually, I don't think any of that is going to happen because of the confidential terms of the agreements which I cannot see, but which would be there is I were involved in writing them.
    Jul 1, 2015. 11:48 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel/Micron Joint Venture Might Not Last After 2018 [View article]
    Alex,

You are assuming that the supply agreement which the IMFT has with Intel will be voided if Micron purchases Intel's interest. I doubt that is the case anymore than the leases get cancelled when a new landlord buys the building.

There are at lease six agreements involving Intel, Micron and the IMFT including supply agreements between the IMFT and both Intel and Micron.

I wish I could tell you what the terms are but so much of the more than 2,000 pages is excluded as confidential that I cannot.

In any event, I value your contributions to SeekingAlpha and I think you made a mistake that anyone could have. Please do not take any offense at this post.
    Jun 29, 2015. 09:34 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My New Micron Price Targets [View article]
    Bobcat,

>>If I do stay on the MU train, your contributions as both a contributor and a commenter will be sorely missed. Your perspective is always valuable and appreciated."<<

I am sorry not to disappoint you but my contributions will not be missed. I am still a substantial stockholder and I intend to continue watching and contributing. I may satisfy myself on this issue one way or the other and then take the appropriate action. I will, of course, post that when I do.
    Jun 29, 2015. 09:27 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My New Micron Price Targets [View article]
    I'm back from my travels. Unfortunately, I clicked this board when I saw that there were new posts, and then the computer got turned off before I could respond, so I don't know which posts are new. Please copy and paste it again if you want my input.

Anyway, here is where I am. I have finished lightening my position to where I now have (for me) a modest amount. My reason is simple. I don't like the fact that the results were leaked to about half the analysts on the block leaving us and the other half completely in the dark. That means that we will always be late to whatever party is going down. That's not workable for me.

I will. of course, respond to anything anyone has to say. I am sorry for the mishap that lost me all those cool little red marks so that I could easily identify new posts.

I am now looking for a large position to replace Micron in my portfolio. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
    Jun 29, 2015. 01:32 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My New Micron Price Targets [View article]
    I have lightened up my position in Micron and will continue to do so on strength.

Too many items are not going as forcast. The imbalance of demand over supply seems non-existent. Micron is taking to much time lowering its costs to match Samsung's node level. The is no further mention of an Intel/Micron cost-disruptive product.

I was wrong on this one.
    Jun 26, 2015. 11:21 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Is Quietly Emerging As The Augmented Reality World Leader [View article]
    I agree. I was going to say concur but I didn't know how to spell it.

This makes Intel a company of a different color. I like it.
    Jun 19, 2015. 02:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Matt,

My thoughts exactly.

I am wondering if, for some presently unknown reason, Intel is planning on vertically integrating to a degree. That would change the company in a structural way.
    Jun 19, 2015. 01:05 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Great article; good research; and interesting viewpoint. Thanks fdor showing us this, Matt.

Do you think that Intel has decided to go vertical with some products? These acquisitions are beginning to look like that to me.
    Jun 19, 2015. 11:41 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel buys fitness smartglass maker Recon for reported ~$175M [View news story]
    101,

Thanks for the reply. Your view is certainly correct if you are looking at Intel's history. I am looking at:

1. Intel acquiring Altera which will then be an operating and manufacturing division of Intel selling to an adressable market at a lower level than Intel's.

2. The pattern in Intel's recent acquisitions and partnerships. They look more like someone getting into manufacturing of items which vertically integrate with its processors. An example is the partnership with Western Digital.

4. The group of acquisitions and major investments look to me like those of someone seeking built-in manufacturing to marketing on a level more consumer oriented.

Let's watch together and see. I won't be surprised if your take turns out right. But I won't be surprised if mine does either.
    Jun 18, 2015. 01:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    More vertical integration. I like it.
    Jun 17, 2015. 03:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Game Of NAND: SanDisk's Uncertain Crown [View article]
    Thank you, William for another outstanding article. I have only read it once and that pre-six AM. I need to absorb more of it and I'll just thank you in advance for that part.
    Jun 17, 2015. 10:50 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel And Micron: The Purple Swan [View article]
    Stephen,

>>Clear as mud?<<

A little clearer than that and that little bit is golden.
    Jun 15, 2015. 08:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel And Micron: The Purple Swan [View article]
    Thanks, Stephen.

I'm not a gamer. I like TV though.

P.S. I think the link is broken but I found the article anyway.
    Jun 15, 2015. 08:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment