Retired Securities Attorney

View Retired Securities Attorney's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Micron, Intel, Microsoft And The Coming PC Refresh [View article]
    Ramtekus,

>>What they overlook is that with this new hardware comes yet to be imagined capabilities that were not previously feasible or prohibitively impractical.<<

Like walking into your den and saying, "Hi, Betsy, it's me" and Betsy recognizes my voice; turns herself on; and says, "Hi, Boss. Loading the usual today. What color screen would you like?"

Now, how cool is that?
    Apr 24, 2015. 11:11 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron, Intel, Microsoft And The Coming PC Refresh [View article]
    William,

>>.Re: the cost disruptive SSD, two questions. First, what percentage of sku's with SSD do you think we'll see on w10 product this holiday season?<<

I'm guessing at 18% to 25%

>>Second, do you see much, if any, 3D NAND going into client SSD's this year<<

Some, and whether that's "much" depends on your definition of "much". If the IMFT can make SSDs at a price/bit less than triple the price/bit of HDDs, some of that production will be allocated to client products, and the clients will buy them. I think that will happen even if the entire production can easily be sold at top dollar to enterprise customers. It is the interest of both Micron and Intel to open up this new client market and they can be counted on to do what is in their mutual interest.

>>- or next, for that matter?<<

Yes, more, and for the same reasons.

>>Frankly, I'm skeptical on both counts...<<

"Skeptical" is my middle name. Some lady, who said that she was my mother, who was vouched for by some guy, who said that he was my father, told me that my name was "Anthony". They showed me a piece of paper that purported to be a copy of something that called itself a "Birth Certificate" which was supposedly signed by some character claiming to be the county clerk. It had the name "Anthony" on it and they said that it was mine. I couldn't verify any of this but "Anthony" was almost as good as "Paul", so I decided that I might as well use it even though "Paul" was shorter and saved on ink. I'm still using it even though I do not know what my name is for certain.
    Apr 24, 2015. 11:06 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Woes For Intel: Chip, Chip, Chipping Away At Chipzilla [View article]
    Anchorite,

By "IM", I think William means the Intel/Micron joint venture, usually referred to as the "IMFT".

I think William is saying that the larger, more relaxed nodes, like 40nm, are what the Intel/Micron joint venture will be using to fabricate 3-D NAND.

That allows them to make a product with:
    1. a much higher capacity; and
    2. a much lower cost/bit

Look here on page 21: http://1.usa.gov/1zWxCP4
    "Since its inception in 2006, we have owned 51% of IMFT, a venture between us and Intel to manufacture NAND Flash memory products and certain emerging memory technologies exclusively for the members."

By fabbing at 40nm the joint venture can use fully-depreciated factories and equipment. That is less of a cost advantage than may appear at first blush since "fully depreciated" means older equipment and older equipment requires more maintenance and repair.

I agree with him.
    Apr 24, 2015. 08:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron, Intel, Microsoft And The Coming PC Refresh [View article]
    Thanks, Elisha. That fits my understanding.
    Apr 24, 2015. 04:45 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Train Is Leaving The Station [View article]
    My two source, both of whom would know, say that yields are "unsatisfactory" whatever that means. I have been trying to find out more for months without any results so far.
    Apr 24, 2015. 12:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Conference Call: Much Ado About Nothing [View article]
    Cincy,

>>RSA, what you're telling me is that in industries where I don't have any expertise or background I should be taken advantage of...Right there you have the reason I won't read articles outside of these semiconductor tech articles.<<

No, what I am telling you is that you know the difference between an article written by me and one written by a random author, and that you don't need to know the industry. Heck, I'm a dammed lawyer and people read my articles on the tech industry, and seem to find value. You are capable yourself of making the value judgments necessary to determine whether an article's perspective is worth factoring into your investing or not.

Who wrote the article is important to me and, I'm guessing, you also. There are some authors I don't read regardless of the company or industry they are writing about. There are some authors I will read if the article is about dried fruit. I know which is which pretty quickly.
    Apr 23, 2015. 10:46 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Conference Call: Much Ado About Nothing [View article]
    >>It's pointless to continue when you know you're not fighting in a fair fight.<<

But, Cincy, it is not a fight. It is about you and me (and others) figuring this thing out together.

Besides, you are going to win most "fights" if that is what it is because your comments are well-researched, well-written, and make sense. Why do you care about the ones which aren't?
    Apr 23, 2015. 04:12 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Conference Call: Much Ado About Nothing [View article]
    Cincy,

If SA editors undertook the responsibilities you are suggesting, SA would become the editors' collective viewpoint instead of a forum where we, the readers, clarify the facts and discuss them, sometimes even intelligently.

I think that it is our collective job as commenters to separate the wheat from the chaff.

>>[I] won't be commenting with any regularity on articles.<<

That would seriously diminish SeekingAlpha's value to me personally. I look for your comments.
    Apr 23, 2015. 01:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Conference Call: Much Ado About Nothing [View article]
    Anchorite,

>>rsa, no Intel bias...<<

I would hope that you have some bias about the company you write about. Why else write? I wouldn't want to bother reading an article without any bias. It wouldn't have anything to say which would interest me.

>>My problem is with the management I find them less than forthright.<<

For you, that's a problem. For me, that's good management. Only the paranoid survive.

>>Call me cynical but if they could of shipped the first week of the quarter they would somehow have moved it to the last week of March then they could have said "We started shipping last quarter".<<

The problem with this thought is the word "somehow". This involves high-tech, bleeding edge, trail blazing, complex operations. In my experience, you cannot "somehow" do something just because you want to make an arbitrary deadline.

But I don't agree with you on a more basic premise. Doing something "somehow" may often be possible but the costs and/or the risks may not be worth it.
    Apr 23, 2015. 12:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Conference Call: Much Ado About Nothing [View article]
    Arnold,

>>Since it appears that a lot of what was written by the author was apparently based upon an inaccurate transcript, this article should be withdrawn and either corrected or trashed!<<

I respectfully disagree. Those of us who know what's so make more money by taking advantage of those who don't but think that they do. This article helps that process play out.
    Apr 21, 2015. 11:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Conference Call: Much Ado About Nothing [View article]
    Cincy,

>>Maybe since SA seems to be putting everything behind a pay wall now, even article summary bullets, they can afford to pay editors to enforce some basic fact checking guidelines.<<

I have a great deal of respect for your comments and opinions. This one statement, though, I think is unfair. In my opinion, SeekingAlpha is doing us all a great service by providing all that it does. It is entitled to make money at it even though it is not perfect. I hope it is making money at it and finds ways to make even more. I believe that SeekingAlpha's success will continue to accrue to my benefit.

Before you criticize mistakes in the transcripts SeekingAlpha publishes, ask yourself if you would prefer those transcripts to appear perfect but days later? Or worse still, not at all.

I place responsibility for the mistakes where it belongs -- in me. If those mistakes get by me that's my fault for not using primary source material or at least checking the secondary material out by reviewing the primary. If I lose money it is my fault alone since I, and no one else, chose to allow that to happen.

Just one old man's personal view about it.
    Apr 21, 2015. 11:24 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Qualcomm: The Enemy Of My Enemy May Not Be My FRAND [View article]
    appealnow,

Good point. It cannot be done effectively.
    Apr 21, 2015. 06:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Conference Call: Much Ado About Nothing [View article]
    The author should verify his quotations from the conference call with the recording. He will find that •"SoFIA is not shipping" is actually "Sophia is now shipping". Quite a difference.
    Apr 21, 2015. 05:28 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Qualcomm: The Enemy Of My Enemy May Not Be My FRAND [View article]
    Thank you, Markman Advisors, for a clear, concise, summary of a complex yet very important topic. You hit the "meat" and successfully avoided the "chaff". Your article will impact my investing going forward.

Well done.
    Apr 18, 2015. 01:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron: More Questions Than Answers From Latest Conference Call [View article]
    Phred, kg,

>>Retired Securities Attorney could probably sleepwalk thru this.<<
    Nope. Even wide-awake it's too complicated an answer for a book or eight.
    Apr 14, 2015. 09:58 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment