Retired Securities Attorney

View Retired Securities Attorney's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Intel: My Take On The Intel Investor Meeting [View article]
    anchorite,

"Coulds" "mights" and "maybes" are how some of us make money in the casino, err, I meant stock market. "Musts" are for treasuries. They don't pay very much right now.
    Nov 25, 2014. 10:32 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Reported Mobile Losses (Economically) Overstated By $1.2 - $1.5 Billion [View article]
    gigabit,

>>I am reiterating a point from past posts and supporting the points made by David RG and Retired Securities Analyst that Intel will not be competitive in mobile until 2017 and beyond.<<

I think you have me confused with someone else. I have never expressed an opinion on that issue.
    Nov 25, 2014. 10:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Data Center Group May Contribute $9 Billion To Annual Profits By 2018 [View article]
    Thanks, Alex. I haven't had a chance to finish listening to it yet.
    Nov 25, 2014. 04:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Alex,

>>Currently, Intel has a 29% market share in SSD shipments to data centers.<<

How did you define the market that Intel has a 29% share of? Data center DDSs? Data center storage devices?
    Nov 25, 2014. 02:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: My Take On The Intel Investor Meeting [View article]
    drchet,

>>what is Micron going to be worth considering they don't make any money in NAND right now but it seems like all this is about to change and NAND is a much bigger importance to their business...<<

I have been working on the answer to that question since I got back from traveling yesterday. It is not a simple question. And the answer isn't easy to put into a range one could base an investment on.
    Nov 25, 2014. 01:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    David,

>>i would imagine Intel will have to compete on price.<<

If a company which has about 65% gross margins decides to compete on price with a company which has about 43% margins, the one with the 43% margins is in deep doo-doo.

If you take out Qualcomm's licensing income, Qualcomm had a net profit margin before taxes of less than 5%. Intel's net profit margin before taxes was 24%. That is with all the R&D of both companies factored in. If you cut back R&D by x% for both companies, the more you cut the worse it gets for Qualcomm.

So if Intel decides to compete on price, Qualcomm will either have to have a far, far superior product, or it will have go out of the manufacturing business and stick to licensing income. I don't think licensing revenues will last long without any R&D to keep the IP up to date. In fact, I think the purpose of Qualcomm's manufacturing business is to subsidize the R&D necessary to maintain its licensing income.

All the above numbers are taken from each company's latest 109-K, for Intel here: http://1.usa.gov/11Sj9st
    and for Qualcomm here: http://1.usa.gov/11Sj9IJ
    Nov 25, 2014. 01:08 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Scandal That Should Shock Nobody [View article]
    Well reasoned. Nicely done.

Thank you.
    Nov 22, 2014. 09:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron: New Projections And Price Targets [View article]
    Tai,

>>Yet remarks like being risk aversive and therefore not investing in AAPL is in my opinion misleading.<<

I said, "I think Apple is a great investment." Did you miss that?
    Nov 20, 2014. 10:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron: New Projections And Price Targets [View article]
    Monoj,

Thanks for telling me that. I can't tell the difference between interesting and boring since it's all interesting to me.
    Nov 19, 2014. 12:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron: New Projections And Price Targets [View article]
    I think Apple is a great investment. RAD may be a good investment but it is not suitable to my investment style. I am risk adverse. I don't like to lose more than a small amount of my investment.

I personally would not touch SCOK with a ten mile pole.

It's operations and plant are supposedly in China and it's a Chinese company. The plant might not even exist, or it might be owned by somebody else. You just can't tell. It's China.
    Nov 18, 2014. 11:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Intel Surprise Us At The November 20th Investor Conference? [View article]
    Peter,

>> Intel can now win either-or.<<

How about both-and?

By the way, nice job.
    Nov 18, 2014. 06:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron, Marvell slide after Einhorn pares stakes [View news story]
    Eric,

Speaking for myself, I really appreciate the editors of Seeking Alpha alerting us on significant news events regarding a stock I am following.

I neither need nor want them to attempt to "tell the whole story" which, by definition is impossible or add anything extraneous to the news itself.

Thank you.
    Nov 18, 2014. 06:11 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GT Advanced Technologies: Can Current Shareholders Walk Away With Any Value? [View article]
    David,

>>However, what policy max would they have on the E&O? Certainly not $2 billion.<<

That's why these suits are usually settled for peanuts - peanuts being equal to the policy limits. The insurance company often offers the policy limit when it knows that it is going to lose rather than losing the limit plus the cost of the defense.

Say the policy had a limit of $20 million. That would be one cent of the dollar for each shareholder. Deduct legal fees of 1/3 cent of the dollar and each shareholder gets 2/3 cent on the dollar.

I get these notices from class action lawyers all the time about amounts I have coming from a stock I sold ten years ago. Usually the postage of sending in the form is more than what I would get and that doesn't even count the cost of the envelop or the ink in filling out the form.
    Nov 18, 2014. 03:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: More Good News About The Mobile Losses [View article]
    Thanks, Cincy.
    Nov 18, 2014. 03:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: More Good News About The Mobile Losses [View article]
    Cincy,

Where did you see that announcement, if you remember. I only saw the Wall Street Journal article which began with:

"Intel Corp. plans to combine operations that handle chips for personal computers with those targeting smartphones and tablets, according to an email sent to employees by Chief Executive Brian Krzanich."

That doesn't seem consistent with what you saw.
    Nov 18, 2014. 12:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment