Reza H. Namavar

View Reza H. Namavar's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why BlackBerry Is About To Lose Its Dominance In Emerging Markets [View article]
    Thanks for the reply, its great to hear what people like about it!
    Mar 2, 2013. 09:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Place Where Supermarkets Make 12%+ Revenue Growth: Africa [View article]
    I think its unfair to say they only sell junk foods. Ultimately, a supermarket like Shoprite makes all kinds of foods, along with hygienic and other goods, available to people in a convenient location. The issue is that sometimes its easier to make junk food in smaller quantities than healthy food thereby making that food cheaper.
    Feb 28, 2013. 05:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Place Where Supermarkets Make 12%+ Revenue Growth: Africa [View article]
    Keval27, its seems though that Spar hasn't been doing it as well though. What do you think?
    Feb 28, 2013. 05:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Place Where Supermarkets Make 12%+ Revenue Growth: Africa [View article]
    Thank you for your comment! You're right, most American companies haven't yet realized the growth potential, but there are of course those select few who realize the possibilities and also do it well. European companies have been doing better than American companies and China and India the best-but then again its much harder to invest in Chinese companies investing in Africa. If we can find those few American companies doing it right, we will make some great returns!
    Feb 28, 2013. 05:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Place Where Supermarkets Make 12%+ Revenue Growth: Africa [View article]
    Agreed!
    Feb 28, 2013. 05:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Place Where Supermarkets Make 12%+ Revenue Growth: Africa [View article]
    Michael, thank you for your comment! I absolutely agree, in general African equities offer fantastic return potential. To your questions: while African companies may have different regulation, they still must comply by proper regulation. South African regulators are very well-developed and strong so there is relatively little to worry about. They have an advanced financial services industry.

They also follow IFRS, so you have a global accounting system you can work with (though different from GAAP in the US). Most companies still release an annual report so you can still sit down and read that :) Just go to the company's website and you can find it. A lot of my initial research started out with Shoprite's annual report.
    Feb 28, 2013. 05:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    BBCanada what do you like about the Z10 over the iPhone 5? (no ulterior motive, I'm genuinely curious)
    Feb 28, 2013. 04:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Stephen Elop Destroyed Nokia [View article]
    Steve, thanks for your comments, apologies on the insult, my intention was to highlight the start difference between Nokia's market position across much of the world and the US where Nokia is a minor player.

You make some really good points and are spot on in the changing in the industry. Thank you for sharing.
    Oct 10, 2012. 08:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Stephen Elop Destroyed Nokia [View article]
    thanks for your comments, thats a good point on Ahonen. I tried to find some corroborating evidence for most of the comments that Ahonen made. Didn't always succeed (and left many pieces of information out because of it) but in most cases there was something.

the best article for returns besides Ahonen is http://bit.ly/OUEzhH

The N9 ran Meego and sold about 1 million phones and received generally good reviews overall so I can't say it was just for engineers. The major issue was the lack of a platform with apps to back it up.
    Oct 10, 2012. 08:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Stephen Elop Destroyed Nokia [View article]
    Leftfield, thanks for your comment. Agreed. It still amazes me that Microsoft chose to hurt their partner with that.
    Oct 10, 2012. 07:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Stephen Elop Destroyed Nokia [View article]
    Deja Vu, thanks for your comments! I appreciate it.

You're right Elop needs to be moving forward but can investors trust that Elop will be able to lead Nokia forward after making these kinds of mistakes? Nokia was much further along than RIM. Nokia launched the N9, which was in effect Nokia's next generation handset, and it received great reviews. I think this was the path that should have been followed, just executed better (which Elop could have done).

As far as building a new platform, isn't Microsoft trying to do that anyways? Nokia now has less control, even though I would argue they are better at this in telecom.

True on taking bold action and thinking long-term, my concern is that Elop took rash action and didn't make the best decision for Nokia.

Thanks again.
    Oct 10, 2012. 07:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Stephen Elop Destroyed Nokia [View article]
    caleb23, thanks for sharing these are great points, glad to read them. Nokia certainly does have a good position with its patent portfolio and its NAVTEQ business is doing great as you mentioned. iOS isn't really that great of a benchmark in places like India as Windows Phone offers lower cost models while iPhones are extremely expensive putting them out of reach for most people. Nokia stock might do very well as you say we will see (my comments were on the Nokia business itself more so than the stock price potential).
    Oct 10, 2012. 07:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Stephen Elop Destroyed Nokia [View article]
    shangjeen, thanks for your comment. Good points you raised, a couple responses:

1) Nokia sold 1 million N9s in one quarter: Quarter 4 2011 (the actual amounts are debatable as Nokia doesn't release figures but estimates I've seen put it between 600k and 1.5 m), that same quarter Lumias sold just under 1 million and that was with the big marketing spend. That tells me as an executive that fact that I can sell 1 million N9s without marketing tells me I might have something there yet Elop never pushed it and is letting the N9 slowly die. Sure Nokia sold more in aggregate but Nokia also spent hundreds of millions to get those sales.

2) Agreed there are several reasons why this shift occurred but I do believe Nokia deciding to kill off Symbian had a major effect in accelerating this switch. The nuances to this perhaps got lost.

3) On Bluetooth. iPhone is not a fair comparison, in the developing world (where I was referencing), iPhone has only a very small market share. BB benefits from their BIS system and BBM. Android and Symbian which are extremely popular OSs, do have the Bluetooth sharing functionality.

4) Most of my source on this point comes from Tomi Ahonen's article and from research on Nokia's US relationships. You're right carriers push tens of millions of low-cost Nokia phones, perhaps it would be better to split out carriers desires to sell Windows Phones and Nokia's other phones.
    Oct 10, 2012. 07:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Stephen Elop Destroyed Nokia [View article]
    SB12, thanks for your comment. I am surrounded with people using Nokias (Symbian). I live in South Africa where its 50% of the market and I see how much people love their Nokia phones and brand. I can tell you though, that very few people here will ever buy a Windows phone. I agree with the right person it could have been saved.
    Oct 10, 2012. 06:44 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Stephen Elop Destroyed Nokia [View article]
    Actually it was to raise awareness of how I believe Elop is hurting the company. I don't have any affiliation with banks and don't ever short myself. It has been interesting seeing people's sentiments though. I wasn't expecting such passionate responses.
    Oct 10, 2012. 06:38 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment