Richard Bloch

View Richard Bloch's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Please Sir, May I Have Some Volatility? [View article]
    I made the chart myself from data that comes from CBOE.
    Aug 13, 2012. 10:13 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 'Graying Of Apple': Fans Getting Older, But Loyalty High [View article]
    You're right Rookie.I remember those cool dancing silhouettes in the ads from the days when Apple was selling only Macs and iPods. Quite a change from their advertising today.
    Aug 13, 2012. 10:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Super Size' Your Dividends Through The SuperDividend ETF [View article]
    That's definitely one of those "consult your tax advisor" questions.
    Aug 12, 2012. 09:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Battle' Between Bulls And Bears Makes Gold ETF Options Cheap [View article]
    I think it's the election process itself that will bring volatility back into the market (both the gold market and the stock market). But I don't think the outcome will make that much of a difference. Or to put it another way, I'm probably not changing my GLD position regardless of whether Obama/Biden or Romney/Ryan win.
    Aug 12, 2012. 09:22 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Super Size' Your Dividends Through The SuperDividend ETF [View article]
    For anyone who wants to pick from among the list of stocks, then a "roll your own" approach could make sense.

However note that the fund's net assets as of 8/9 were $93 million. Yahoo reports its net assets at $74 million, but that's based on data as of 6/29. The price hasn't changed that much so it seems as if the number of shares available has increased by about 20% since then.
    Aug 10, 2012. 05:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Battle' Between Bulls And Bears Makes Gold ETF Options Cheap [View article]
    Well if Paulson starts selling, I predict IV could easily go up 50% or more. Sure, IV could be flat for awhile, but I suspect September and more focus on the upcoming elections will bring more trading back into this market and many others.
    Aug 10, 2012. 04:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Battle' Between Bulls And Bears Makes Gold ETF Options Cheap [View article]
    Thanks, I think the "war" analogy is a little overblown myself.Thanks for providing the link with a chart that goes back further than mine.
    Aug 10, 2012. 03:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Super Size' Your Dividends Through The SuperDividend ETF [View article]
    Thanks xstock. Appreciate the clarification.
    Aug 10, 2012. 09:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Super Size' Your Dividends Through The SuperDividend ETF [View article]
    Hi David:

Question 1

As I understand Ploutos’ premise, companies with high yields will see those yields trimmed as investors “trim the price of the stock” in response to the market’s perception of risk/reward. But Ploutos’ article seemed to focus on a “sweet spot” for S&P 500 stocks, while SDIV invests most of its fund outside the US.

In the US, for example, the market may “trim” a yield of 6%, but in Australia that may not be the case at all. Short-term interest rates are a lot higher there. Thus the spread between the yield for a company like Westpac (WBK) and the risk free rate there is different. The same may hold true for other countries represented in SDIV.

I’m not saying Ploutos is wrong or anything, but it would be interesting to see a global study of this phenomenon and what the dividend “sweet spot” might be on a worldwide basis.

Question 2

SDIV invests in some “business development companies,” which are essentially private equity companies (although I may not be using that term precisely).

For example, SDIV owns companies like Ares Capital Corp, Blackrock Kelso, and Prospect Capital Corp. These companies can charge management fees, which are referred to as "acquired fund fees" in the ETFs expenses.

Per Global-X materials:

“SDIV currently invests in some Business Development Companies (BDC’s), which often charge a management fee. The fees are reflected in the NAV of the Fund’s investment in these companies and are consistent with what an investor might expect if investing in these BDC’s directly - the fees are not part of the management fee of the Fund. The amount of Acquired Fund Fees will fluctuate depending on the Fund’s investments.”

Thanks for your questions David. Hope that helps add some perspective.
    Aug 10, 2012. 09:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'Super Size' Your Dividends Through The SuperDividend ETF [View article]
    I suspect that's because of the strong dollar and the non-US nature of the holdings. If the dollar gets weaker (especially against the Australian Dollar), I'd expect that to change.
    Aug 9, 2012. 10:59 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Can Apple Reach A $2 Trillion Market Cap In 2016? [View article]
    I will. not sure when.
    Aug 8, 2012. 07:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Nokia: A Picture's Worth $2 Per Share [View article]
    Thanks Clint. Appreciate the links.
    Aug 7, 2012. 12:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Nokia: A Picture's Worth $2 Per Share [View article]
    Thanks Martin

I wasn't thinking of Europe so much as some of the less developed regions of the world (the article I linked to in my post mentioned Nigeria as an example).

But that Pureview does look cool.
    Aug 7, 2012. 11:11 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Nokia: A Picture's Worth $2 Per Share [View article]
    You make a good point Nutti
    Aug 7, 2012. 10:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Nokia: A Picture's Worth $2 Per Share [View article]
    Well, sure. And there was a reason it was priced below $2 a few weeks ago. But sometimes reasonable people reasonably disagree.
    Aug 7, 2012. 09:35 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment