Richard Bloch

View Richard Bloch's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple Disappoints, But Adds $7 Billion To Balance Sheet [View article]
    Fair point. Thanks for making it.
    Jul 24 05:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Disappoints, But Adds $7 Billion To Balance Sheet [View article]
    Not sure, but the chart here might be of interest. I think some SA bloggers are on the list.

Jul 24 05:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Getting Bearish? Think About Being More Active About It [View article]
    Agreed dragonpaw. I don't think you should try to "follow" the fund, but if you took a look at the financials at say, Goodyear Tire, and could figure out *why* the fund is short, you might have a good trading idea -- as long as you can make your own entry and exit decisions.
    Jul 24 03:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Getting Bearish? Think About Being More Active About It [View article]
    Thanks ERIKWJ. I think I'd mostly be concerned about the management fee part (1.5%). The rest represents the costs of short selling itself.

I also look at it this way. Let's say the fund spent 50 basis points holding a specific hard to borrow stock for a period of time last year. But if that stock gained the fund 150 basis points, it could easily have been money well spent. Yet that 50 basis points would show up as "extra" expenses.
    Jul 24 07:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Getting Bearish? Think About Being More Active About It [View article]
    Glad you liked it. Thanks.
    Jul 23 06:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Don't Care About Apple's Earnings Call [View article]
    What's very interesting is that the "independents" are generally more bullish than the so-called "pros."
    Jul 22 02:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Don't Care About Apple's Earnings Call [View article]
    My prediction is that "all device" plans will emerge. It annoys me that I pay separately for two data plans with both an iPhone and iPad. I don't know if that's bullish or bearish for the carriers.
    Jul 21 07:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Don't Care About Apple's Earnings Call [View article]
    I wish I had that chart gensearch2, but I did not have that information.
    Jul 21 05:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Don't Care About Apple's Earnings Call [View article]
    So far Apple's guidance has been pretty useless. There's a chance, however, that the company becomes more open under TIm Cook.

Not sure that's necessarily a great idea, however. Which is better? UPOD (under promise, over deliver) or OPUD (over promise, under deliver). I kind of like UPOD myself.
    Jul 20 09:58 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Don't Care About Apple's Earnings Call [View article]
    The surreal thing about this all is that the trailing numbers already exist.

Apple has a different trailing PE than that quoted today based on what happened as of the end of last month. The number is out there, we just don't know what it is yet until Apple tells us. And if we give credit to the analyst who was closest, should it be the one who was initially closest, or the one who ended up there Monday?

Apple has a different forward PE than that quoted today, but we won't know what it is until the analysts tell us what it will be -- that is until they revise their figures into next quarter.

Spectator sport? Perhaps. But it seems more like an idea for a new game show, "The Price (Per Share) Is Right"

Jul 20 09:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Don't Care About Apple's Earnings Call [View article]
    I can't predict fads either. I never would have predicted that a phone that people once joked is great unless you want to make an actual phone call would be a big hit.

However, I think the "fad premium" is quite low on this one, regardless of how trendy it may seem.
    Jul 20 07:37 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Don't Care About Apple's Earnings Call [View article]
    Thanks ubeenfranked. Appreciate it -- although I think we both must admit that Apple's price and my comment levels are two completely independent variables. Or at least I hope so. Otherwise, I'd better keep typing!
    Jul 20 05:48 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Don't Care About Apple's Earnings Call [View article]
    Thought I'd point out that the market doesn't seem to care much either. The Apple VIX was down 1.76% while the VIX was up 5.31% (although expiration day might have distorted this a bit).

Oh, and I noticed that this is my 1000th comment. Hard to believe.
    Jul 20 04:55 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stanley Black & Decker: New Dividend Yield Levels To Watch [View article]
    You're preaching to the choir. Unfortunately, stuff like "SFS" isn't unusual.
    Jul 20 01:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Worldwide Protein Shortage Looming? Start Buying Agriculture ETFs [View article]
    Fidelity used to have one (FDFAX once known as the Fidelity Food and Agriculture Fund) but it morphed into more of a consumer staples fund. Outside of the ETFs, I don't know of any other fund.
    Jul 17 12:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment