Richard Bloch

View Richard Bloch's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Gold Bubble Is Epic [View article]
    I'd say if conditions that existed in 1979 to 1980 were to surface again, you could see gold plunge.

In 1980 you could earn more than one percent per MONTH in a CD. Now you're looking at one percent per year if you're lucky.

So if you see a rapid, sudden increase in interest rates, money could easily come out of gold. Until then, I think it continues upward.
    Aug 12 05:00 PM | 17 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Physical Silver Investors Are Being Hoodwinked by the Futures Market [View article]
    I don't think most people who buy silver coins would view themselves as "underwater" in the way Miami condo owners would be.

The implications of being underwater in real estate is the leverage. If the amount you owe exceeds the amount you can get for your condo, you're in deep doo-doo. You really can't sell if you can't pay the note off at the closing.

If you bought silver coins, however, you can always sell them at whatever the market bears. Correct me if I'm wrong, but people who buy silver coins pay cash, right? Even if they use a credit card, there's no lien on the silver so it's not quite the same thing at all and can't be "worse" than the housing bubble.
    Apr 26 05:12 PM | 15 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Income Investors: Owning Dividend ETFs vs. Owning the 'Real Thing' [View article]
    I plead guilty to cherry picking.

However, let's adjust the portfolio. Remove McDonald's (the best performer) and add a financial stock instead. If you pretend the financial stock went to zero (could've been WAMU) and you can knock about $3800 off the portfolio's performance -- still better than the ETFs
    May 20 05:05 PM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Dividends Could Yield 30%+ Annually Over The Next Decade (Or Two) [View article]
    Since I designed the hypothetical scenario, I get to decide what the hypothetical investor "hoped for' -- and he/she definitely wanted to boast about that "enormous yield." :)
    Jun 14 07:19 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why You Should Avoid Apple [View article]
    This seems strange: "Until there is sufficient evidence, a new successful product line, the company can survive and thrive without Steve Jobs, I would stay away from the stock."

Apple can not only "survive," but generate massive cash flow over the next year or two (maybe longer) even with no new product line.

Stay away if you like, but I'm curious, what stocks with new product lines are you actually buying instead of Apple?
    Aug 28 04:30 PM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Fall for Today's Market Head-Fake [View article]
    The green line is a trendline? It only crossed the data once in like 80 years.
    Aug 9 04:45 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Break The Dividend Stock Cartel [View article]
    I would point out that average payout doesn't matter -- unless you're an average person investing in average stocks.

Looking at the payout ratios of the stocks you're investing in, or plan to invest in, is a far better metric. That's because it makes a big difference whether a stock "happens to have a dividend" or if it's a company that's committed to raising them every year (a la the "dividend artistocrats.")
    Feb 2 05:09 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Last Great Opportunity in Silver and Platinum? [View article]
    So Think Or Swim wants you to have a margin equal to about $6 per ounce of silver? I would, too, if I were your broker. I might even want you to have more.

Anyone who doesn't want to bother with margin requirements can simply put up the full value of the trade. Nothing wrong with that is there? If you have about 38,000 in your account, you can trade one mini contract. No way you can get "flushed" out of that.
    May 4 06:57 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Have A Stop Loss Order In Place? [View article]
    If you buy a stock for the long term and are willing to sit on it for awhile, what you say makes sense.

Once you have a sizable gain in a position, however, consider buying some puts to protect at least some of those gains
    Jun 6 12:15 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is the Market Ripe for Another Flash Crash? [View article]
    All of your four events could cause a market sell off, but a flash crash? I think that's unlikely. It's an unlikely event even to begin with. That 2010 event was the result of displaced liquidity more than any panic. Remember those "stub bids" of one cent?

And even if it does happen, what's the big deal? It's a "flash" crash after all. The bigger concern is a "non flash crash"
    Jul 19 10:56 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Downside Risk: $290 Just Based on Cash [View article]
    There's nothing that forces a stock to trend lower -- and I'm not really talking about a 200-day interval exactly.

What I'm pointing out is that if a stock has been above its 200 day moving average for more than a year, that means the stock is moving up rapidly and thus, so is the average. Eventually the average catches up. It has to at some point.
    Jun 20 08:32 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Fama and French seem to suggest that the dividend yield itself is not a good way to pick stocks overall because a high yield does not mean a stock will gain in value.

What some of the commenters here are suggesting is that's missing the point. If you can buy a stock today with a 25-year history of raising its dividend and it continues to do so as you reinvest those dividends, the future market yield of the stock doesn't mean anything. It's your yield that counts -- and that can rise sharply even if the stock doesn't go up as much.
    May 23 10:14 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I can't speak for everyone, but I think dividend investors buy stocks not for income now, but for income later. As David mentioned above, when a portfolio managed correctly, the reinvested dividends will increase the yield of the portfolio over time especially with increased payouts.
    May 23 04:36 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks tweedn. You're right -- with individual stocks nobody charges you a fee to collect your dividends.
    May 20 01:11 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New Intel Dividend Yield Levels to Watch [View article]
    Thanks goldenretiree. As I mentioned above, one reason I think it might hit 21 is that it will appear to be yielding only 3.5%. That's how the forward yield will appear on Yahoo! Finance, Google Finance, etc. until the new 21 cent dividend is reflected.

I think it could hit that level in the backdrop of an overall market pullback, not because of anything wrong with the company itself. But if "lots of people would sell despite the dividend," my plan is be a buyer.
    May 12 11:17 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment