View as an RSS Feed
View Richard Cox's Articles BY TICKER:
Renewed Share Buying, Attractive Valuations Put Prospect Capital Back In Focus
- Prospect earnings results holding up well despite initial fears.
- NAV declines not enough to justify current share values.
- Massive share buying signals opportunities for long-term dividend investors.
GLD: True Sentiment Shifts Or The Next Bull Trap?
- Geopolitical influences creating bull trap for those bullish GLD.
- Transitory headlines offer no real foundation for sustainably bullish trends.
- Upside pressure on the Dollar and prospects for rising interest rates create unfavorable environment for GLD.
SPDR Gold Trust ETF: Bulls Still Cautious At The Highs
- Jobs data supports Fed's underlying rate outlook.
- Positives and negatives exist, but caution remains warranted with GLD at elevated levels.
- Watch the Dollar as a precursor to trend changes in the metals ETFs.
Iraq: What Is The Real Impact On Oil?
- A bull trap is currently being set for oil traders.
- Short-term highs in Exxon Mobil are looking shaky given the broader climate.
- Sustained performance in USO depends on output productivity, not Iraq military conflicts.
SPY: What Could Derail The Rally?
- Market optimism reflected in record stock prices.
- Wide variety of assets influenced by the bull market run in stocks.
- Watch the Dollar for signs of underlying economic strength.
GLD: Why Shouldn't It Drop Further?
- Prior forecasts proving to be highly accurate.
- Little reason to expect rallies in the precious metals ETFs.
- Strong labor markets suggest that the Fed will continue with stimulus reductions.
More Reasons To Sell The Euro
- Euro failure seen at critical psychological level.
- Relative growth performance suggest a period of prolonged weakness.
- ECB could announce new stimulus measures as early as next week.
ECB Will Prevent Further Euro Strength
- Long positions in euro-based assets looking increasingly risky.
- Central bank stance supports outlook for lower euro.
- Relative growth performance still favors US dollar.
Avoid GLD: Ukraine-Fueled Pop Is Unsustainable
- Transitory geopolitical influences will only generate short-term rallies in GLD.
- Investors should be watching ETF outflows, rather than unrelated news headlines.
- Inability to generate significant momentum and break the September 2013 highs creates added cause for concern.
APB: A Closed-End Fund For An Elevated Stock Market
- Elevated stock benchmarks make closed-end funds more attractive.
- Positive growth surprises in China support the outlook for emerging Asia.
- APB offers access to well-positioned companies that are difficult for US investors to buy directly.
Prospect Capital - Looking Solid Into Earnings Release
- Volatility in BDCs likely to be short-lived.
- Prospect's fundamentals and ability to generate elevated income still look favorable.
- Progress in company's Harbortouch deal will be telling in terms of what to expect next in earnings.
Latest Earnings Will Buy Time For Apple's Cook
- Quarterly earnings may have beaten weak estimates, but the underlying strength here is undeniable.
- Apple now has its opportunity to win back the market's positive attention.
- Latest results will give Tim Cook the time and flexibility he needs to introduce Apple's next product innovation.
Start Looking For Contrarian Positions In British Pound
- Dollar weakness has reached extreme levels.
- Changing Fed stance will positively influence supply and demand dynamics in the Dollar.
- Growth rates, inflation figures suggest the overbought Pound should be sold.
SPDR Gold Trust ETF: The Times Are A-Changin'
- Gold's historical position as the ultimate store of value no longer applies.
- Rising consumer inflation suggests the Fed has room to tighten monetary policy.
- Rallies in GLD have only generated false breakouts and bull-traps.
Euro Rally Is A Selling Opportunity
- Moves in Euro, Pound driven by technicals - not fundamentals.
- ECB policy stance suggests concern over Euro strength.
- Relative growth rates, policy agendas favor US Dollar.
Prospect Capital Continues To Build On Its Strengths
- Prospect Capital continues to hold its position as a top-notch business development company.
- Recent strategies indicate plans to move back toward its core strategies.
- Alternative stock selections are present for those looking for broader access to BDCs.
ECB Policy Stance Could Put Euro At Risk
- ECB well aware that regional debt problems could resurface.
- Relative growth performance favors US currency.
- Eurozone macro data (in manufacturing and PMI surveys) suggest long-term weakness lies ahead.
Gold: The Declines Won't Stop Here
- Gold-positive drivers from early 2014 are not sustainable.
- The Fed Stance and rising interest rates are a gold bear’s best friend.
- GoldBugs, its time to stop avoiding the realities of the fundamentals.
Closed-End Funds: The Best Way To Play An Elevated Stock Market
- Stock benchmarks at elevated levels offer limited potential for upside.
- Closed-end funds create strong alternatives for those looking to gain stock exposure.
- NAV discounts and elevated dividends support the outlook for CEN and JGT.
- 3 Dividend Stocks For Retirement
- Stock Picks For The E-Cigarette Surge
- Newmont Mining: Watch For Further Dividend Cuts
- Positive Sector Outlook Supports Campbell Soup Company
- Gold: Setting Up For Another Fall
- When You're Right, You're Still Wrong: GLD Hits 115 Bear Target
- Oil To Remain Under Pressure Into Next Year
- GLD: Bears Set Sights On 115
- GLD: When Will The Gold Bugs Give In?
- Gold Trust ETF Falling As Expected
- S&P 500: Supported By Earnings, But Upside Limited
- GLD: Sell While You Still Have A Chance
- 3 End-Of-Year Buys In Energy Stocks