Richard Saintvilus

View Richard Saintvilus' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Will Sirius Interest Fade As Malone Focuses On Cable? [View article]
    CN -

I'm also disappointed that you allowed the word "worry" to slip by. I don't believe you've demonstrated any "worry" in your analysis at all. You are meticulous about details and have always remained well-balanced. And you point out the times that information is missing. That does not make one "worry" and makes one intelligent.

If you're not going to say it, I'm saying it for you. I'll take that versus the opposite side of the coin every time.

technics -

Call it "worrying about the big things" if you like. But how can one know what the "big things" are if they are broken up into smaller pieces?
    Nov 26, 2013. 07:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Sirius Interest Fade As Malone Focuses On Cable? [View article]
    CN -

"and some sanity returned..."

I guess this depends on which side you're on. If one believes this stock is undervalued, as "most" do, then one would say sanity left :-)
    Nov 25, 2013. 05:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Sirius Interest Fade As Malone Focuses On Cable? [View article]
    CN -

Beefy and Mick pop out of nowhere from time to time. Those were the good old days when Sirius traded for pennies and Brandon Matthews stirred the pot for every Sirius discussion that was worth discussing. These days, that baton is yours. And I appreciate the consistently-balanced approach.

You see things that no one else is able to find. That is a skill that would be worth millions to many fortune 500 corporations.
    Nov 25, 2013. 02:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Sirius Interest Fade As Malone Focuses On Cable? [View article]
    CN -

I'm just picking on you because you and I go way back - with Feel-it and Tenone prior to you and I becoming well-established authors :-)

Anyway, I just know how my editors love slapping me on the wrist whenever I assume someone's sex. And mostly for the same political correctness reasons you've stated. But given the progressiveness of social media and media in general, this is something that I've embraced since I want my content to be equally progressive.

"I lived through the early days of the Women's LIb movement and thought some of the objectives were very important, but never came around to substituting "man" or "male" references for generic "substitutes"."

As a fan of your work, you owe it to yourself and your female readers to "come around." :-)

" (Two of my favorite fictional "Scouts" are the one created by Harper Stevens and, of course, Tonto's horse.)"

One of my favorite characters in American literature is "Scout" in "To Kill a Mockingbird." She was a female, by the way.
    Nov 25, 2013. 12:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Sirius Interest Fade As Malone Focuses On Cable? [View article]
    CN -

Not to pick at you or anything, which usually means I'm going to pick at you :-)

But for someone always so cautious with his words, you've said this:

"I can't understand why Scout22 failed to see either of his first two comments when he wrote his third at 8:24PM, an hour and a half after I wrote a comment that said I could see both of the first two comments."

and then...

"In the case of Scout22 with more than 80 comments, I wonder if it's possible that Scout22 failed to refresh his browser..."

How are you able to determine hat Scout22 is a male to the extent that you would refer to him/her as "his" three times in your comment above?

I think "most" writers would walk the "neutral" line until Scout22 made his/her sex known :-)

This, however, does not take anything away from what I consider a masterfully written piece.
    Nov 25, 2013. 09:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Sirius Interest Fade As Malone Focuses On Cable? [View article]
    CN -

"I have no delusions about being an authority."

And thus why your content remains the best in all of Seeking Alpha.
    Nov 23, 2013. 11:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Sirius Interest Fade As Malone Focuses On Cable? [View article]
    Austin -

End up like I did on Sirius? Does that mean being all over CNBC, Forbes, Yahoo Finance and MSN Money? How about making regular appearances on popular radio programs like WRKO?

Yeah, you wish you could "end up" like me :-)
    Nov 23, 2013. 11:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Sirius Interest Fade As Malone Focuses On Cable? [View article]
    CN -

Like I've said to you back in Q1, you have become the authority on Sirius XM. Not just from the standpoint of the stock, but from your strong forward-looking ability to see things that others are unable to find. Unlike some, you don't just report the news, you offer exceptional analysis. While I'm no longer interested in Sirius, I do appreciate your skillset.

I also appreciate the fact that you are balanced and realistic about all/most/some/majority... of what Sirius is able to achieve in the future as a company and a stock. And it is such consistency that makes your arguments invaluable during both bullish and bearish environments.
    Nov 23, 2013. 08:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Sirius Interest Fade As Malone Focuses On Cable? [View article]
    CN -

We written, as always.

"There are of other methods that Liberty could use to raise funds from Sirius XM, including directly borrowing money from the company or having Sirius XM pay a dividend."

Or Sirius XM can raise monthly subscriptions prices :-)
    Nov 22, 2013. 05:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Disappoints Investors [View article]
    CN -

"and the price increase should be a positive since there was no indication that one would be coming on January 1."

It's true no one at the company said there would be a price increase, but there were indications that the model would deteriorate without one.

I called for a price increase in May and I was told (not by you) that I was crazy. Everyone's comments can be read here: http://bit.ly/1hg7UOd

As always, you nailed it in this article.
    Oct 25, 2013. 02:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Where's Faulkner? [View article]
    Stephen -

"Unlikely their reason for announcing had anything to do with the quarter."

How could you possibly know this? Just say - "maybe" or "I don't know." But Sara1 raises an excellent point. Don't be so quick to dismiss the idea. You're saying "they beat" while professional analysts are downgrading the stock.

C'mon Steve. It's ok to get critical once in a while. It won't mean you're "inciting fear" to fuel your next article. It just means you're balanced. By the way, I've written for the Fool and I've spoken to Rick on more than one occasion. There is no such "quota" that you keep referring to.

The bottom line is this, Sirius is not a flawless company. Neither is Amazon, Apple, Google or Microsoft. Let's stop blaming others for their disappointments. By the way, is it time to discuss the price increase that I brought up in May? I think that might be a great article for you :-)

You're welcome...
    Oct 25, 2013. 01:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: Where's Faulkner? [View article]
    As I've said since May, the company needs to raise prices and it will.
    Oct 24, 2013. 11:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: $3.87 While Shorts Add To Positions By $16 Million [View article]
    Stephen -

All I'm saying is that, regardless of the reason that you've decided to stop writing about SIRI - payment structure, stock's over-covered, nothing's changed etc. - just take the high road.

You've lost your incentive and inspiration, that's fine. But the idea that you need to discredit other people's work because you consider them "trivial" (my words, not yours) is just wrong.

And yes, Munarriz is an expert on SIRI and he's earned his status at the Fool and around the bloggespshere. It's not an assumption, this is what Motley Fool, for whom I've written by the way, believes. Rick knows more about SIRI than those you are claiming you respect put together.

If it were not for Munarriz (and some others), many of those who write about Sirius today never would have had a platform. What I'm saying is, you sound a little bitter about how things have become. All you have to do is start writing again and reclaim your throne.

But let's stop with the hypocrisy about what's worthy to discuss and what isn't. I recall you putting out a "short Interest Data update" on Sirius every two weeks. This article, for instance.

This is even though the information about the company had not materially changed. Even some readers called you out on it. And your response was "I'll see you in two weeks."

My point is, if you've abandoned your audience, bow out gracefully. But don't take cheap shots as you exit. But if you're going to write again, as you say, "here and there" just do it and be happy about it. But don't lose your class or your cool. I've always admired that about you.
    Oct 17, 2013. 09:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM: $3.87 While Shorts Add To Positions By $16 Million [View article]
    Stephen -

"I was just looking to set the record straight and crush out those spewing nonsense about SIRI. Mission accomplished"

Very interesting statement. It would seem to some that you've stopped writing immediately after CN corrected you on a few nonsensical comments yourself. Many to which, you have not responded. But it's good that you feel a sense of accomplishment :-)

For what it's worth, I think SA is correct in how it pays its authors now. It's telling its writers that it knows who brings the value and who doesn't.

As for your shot towards Munarriz, he's been covering SIRI for more than 20 years at the Fool. He's earned the right for every headline he puts out. He writes for the love of it. Not because of some personal vendetta to "set a few people straight."

" I've kinda said my peace on SIRI and really feel it's horribly overanalyzed and overcovered "

This sounds like you get offended because you don't have the last word. Haha... get over it...
    Oct 17, 2013. 06:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM's Frear Not Expecting Material Decline In Content Cost [View article]
    Well done, CN.

Frear said...

"because the customer definitely doesn't really care about the technology. What they care about is the content, what are they doing with that, are they listening to music, are they getting news, are they getting sports."

Don't you find fault in that statement? He's completely dismissing the experience and/or relationship (most) consumers seek with their technology. This is precisely why - I suppose - he didn't cite Apple as a threat. Even though Apple plans to not only enter the auto dashboard in 2014, but just recently announced international expansion of iTunes Radio.

Sirius is doing well. Unlike Pandora, which has more to fear from Apple. But discounting Apple altogether in these discussions is a mistake. Although I do believe in Frear's case, this was a strategic omission.
    Oct 9, 2013. 09:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment