Richard Saintvilus

View Richard Saintvilus' Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Magic Of Sirius XM [View article]
    CN -

"It's not even close, indicating that most folks are either using mobile devices (PV's don't count) or not responding to the alerts."

That's exactly what it is - it's the mobile revolution. While it's disappointing that SA has opted to not count mobile views, I support their decision, given that they aren't able to monetize mobile ads as effectively.

The other thing is that I believe this decision has helped advance SA's intellectual readership and the site has now become less of a spam/clickbait fest. But it seems that writers that cover a handful of stocks have not felt the impact as much as those that write about just one company. Or so I've been told.
    Dec 5, 2013. 06:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Magic Of Sirius XM [View article]
    CN -

"That I have too few fans and too much time on my hands? ;-)"

Neither of which is necessarily a bad thing, by the way. I would argue that the "majority or most" of your fans just read your posts and seldom comment.

You're a numbers guy, correct? SA says that this article was emailed to 21,376 people. Even if your articles get 100 unique comments that are negative, this is still only a fraction of your readership.
    Dec 5, 2013. 03:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Magic Of Sirius XM [View article]
    Bass -

Congrats! And great picture of the boat, by the way. It is clear that you don't mess around. Who's the sponsor, if you don't mind sharing?

By the way, very smart of you to use the word "vast" and not an insulting term like "most" or "majority" :-)
    Dec 5, 2013. 02:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Magic Of Sirius XM [View article]
    Bass -

You're not going to like this, but I really don't see the long-term future here in Sirius. Apple enters the dashboard in January 2014 in several vehicles where Sirius already has a presence. I just don't see Apple, which is all about "the experience," failing to control content with iTunes Radio.
    Dec 5, 2013. 02:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Magic Of Sirius XM [View article]
    Bass -

Excellent post! Like CN, very balanced :-)

But help me understand, was your post meant to be bullish or bearish?
    Dec 5, 2013. 02:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Magic Of Sirius XM [View article]
    Mark -

I don't disagree, but I'm sure you will also agree that "quality" is in the eye of the reader. And it's usually determined by whether or not they agree with the content.

Take, for instance, CN. I don't believe there is another writer on Seeking Alpha that spends more time researching data and delivering facts in a balanced way. I consider his content top-notch quality. But it's unfortunate he has to spend time responding to questions as to whether the piece was "bullish or bearish."

Whereas, there are others that NEVER see a mistake made by this company. Remarkably, the quality of their content are never questioned. What does that tell you?
    Dec 5, 2013. 01:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Magic Of Sirius XM [View article]
    CN -

I knew you would get that :-)
    Dec 5, 2013. 09:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Magic Of Sirius XM [View article]
    Mark -

I appreciate the note. While you are correct in the formal sense, I'm not as careful when commenting on articles. Although I will point out that my editors on various sites that I write for rarely have a problem with it. And I've begun sentences with "And," which seems to be accepted these days.

Speech and writing have always been an art. And like many other artistic forms, I love the fact that it continues to evolve. But your point is well taken, particularly for those who are just entering the field. They may be scrutinized more for their scholastic/formal quality of their writing and less for the impact that the content may have. I'm lucky to have that flexibility in the eyes of my editors.
    Dec 5, 2013. 07:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Magic Of Sirius XM [View article]
    SouthernBeachGuy -

"can't remember the last time I say Richard comment on Sirus (Much nicer comments this time)."

Ha! My responses have always been nice. It's the media that has always misinterpreted them.
    Dec 4, 2013. 05:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Magic Of Sirius XM [View article]
    Scout22 -

"Have you ever suggested accumulate/buy and hold at any time along the way?"

I hear what you are saying, but it's not always that easy. I'm sure I'm one of those that you are referring to when you say "several others." You and I have had these disagreements in the past when we both had other names :-)

But this "caution" has more to do with (in some cases) the lack of information the company has provided as CN has highlighted in the past. It's hard to some to "jump all in" while still being in the dark.

Those that choose to believe in management and invest on "faith" have the right to that approach. But it doesn't mean it's the smart approach, even if the share price has appreciated during the period you've highlighted.

That said, I will credit you for your consistency and belief in the company since your days of offering TA notes on articles such as these. I've never thought I'd say this, but I've missed them :-)
    Dec 4, 2013. 04:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Magic Of Sirius XM [View article]
    CN -

Great article, as always. But if I didn't know any better, I would think that your "magical" comparison denotes something illusionary about Sirius' model and/or the metric(s) management chooses to highlight as being important.

I recall, Karmazin use to continuously throw out FCF as the most important aspect of Sirius business. This was during a period where Sirius was aggressively reducing its debt, which often effects cash availability.

But in my opinion, the most important metric has always been ARPU, which, if it is able to grow, reduces the dependability of growing subscribers since the company can operate profitably with less subs, which also reduces the costs to acquire those subs. But not everyone agreed with this.

The point here, though, is that Sirius is not alone with "forming language" and pulling investor/analyst attention away from parts of the business and focusing it on where it believes it should be judged.

But your point still remains, however, that investors should be smart enough to consider EVERYTHING important, not just what affirms their already-established opinions.

As a side note, it's interesting that your article has a "magical" theme, while Stephen's was "smoke and mirrors." Can either of you be believed :-)
    Dec 4, 2013. 03:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Sirius Interest Fade As Malone Focuses On Cable? [View article]
    CN -

You nailed that response with acrobatic precision!
    Nov 27, 2013. 04:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Sirius Interest Fade As Malone Focuses On Cable? [View article]
    CN -

I appreciate the response. And thanks for the context. If you're not worried about the word "worry" then neither am I. I also appreciate the notion that "some are just too dumb to be scared." :-)

There you have it - you win either way :-)
    Nov 26, 2013. 10:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Sirius Interest Fade As Malone Focuses On Cable? [View article]
    CN -

I'm also disappointed that you allowed the word "worry" to slip by. I don't believe you've demonstrated any "worry" in your analysis at all. You are meticulous about details and have always remained well-balanced. And you point out the times that information is missing. That does not make one "worry" and makes one intelligent.

If you're not going to say it, I'm saying it for you. I'll take that versus the opposite side of the coin every time.

technics -

Call it "worrying about the big things" if you like. But how can one know what the "big things" are if they are broken up into smaller pieces?
    Nov 26, 2013. 07:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Sirius Interest Fade As Malone Focuses On Cable? [View article]
    CN -

"and some sanity returned..."

I guess this depends on which side you're on. If one believes this stock is undervalued, as "most" do, then one would say sanity left :-)
    Nov 25, 2013. 05:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment