View as an RSS Feed
View Richard Shaw's Articles BY TICKER:
AAPL, ABEV, ACF, AFL, AMJ, BBRY, BEO, BEP, BRK.A, BSC, CAF, CBI, CCJ, CCXE, CHIX, CMF, COSWF, CPK, DBA, DIAX, DVYA, EWC, EWZ, FFA, FXI, FXZ, GIS, GLD, GS, GULF, GXC, HGT, HNZ, IAU, IRV, ISHG, IVV, IYM, KBE, LCM, MAT, MCN, MSFT, MUB, MXI, OIH, PALM, PEP, PYZ, RTM, sda-old, SDY, SGOL, SPY, UBG, VAW, VIG, VT, VTI, WMIH, XLB, YUM
Seeking High-Quality Companies With Sales And Dividend Growth, And A Reasonable Price
- Tupperware, CAE, T. Rowe Price and Baxter International are the only 4 survivors of a rigorous quality, yield, growth, and reasonable pricing filter.
- Recent market under-performance is a contributor to their undervaluation -- value opportunities often exist in the out of favor.
- Only 213 stocks out of thousands pass a basic dividend consistency and growth filter combined with overall investment quality ratings -- our additional criteria reduced the list to 4.
Which REIT Sectors Did Best / Worst Last Week & Which Look Best Going Forward?
- The MSCI REIT index has an estimated 12-month forward total return expectation of 9.09%.
- Health Care REITs were the worst of 8 sectors last week, and Hotel & Resort REITS were best.
- Diversified REITs have the best 12-month forward total return estimates, followed by Retail, Residential and Hotel & Resort REITs.
War Risk Considerations For U.S. Stock Market
- War risk is one of three key fear areas today: war, bubbles or overvaluation, and economic slowdown or deflation.
- Historical evidence from 1898 shows that US wars have not had an adverse impact on US stocks overall - avoiding stocks due to war has not been a successful approach.
- This article is relevant to diversified US large-cap stock indexes only, not to foreign stocks or individual stocks.
7 Stocks For Quality, Growth, Dividend Consistency & Reasonable Prospect Of Gain
- Location, location, location for real estate -- growth, growth growth for stocks.
- Earnings and dividend growth is only sustainable with long-term revenue growth.
- Reasonable pricing of growth is critical for risk moderation, and helpful in positioning for gain.
12 Top Consensus Stock Holdings From Best 3 Health Care Active Mutual Funds
- Healthcare mutual funds dominated outperformance over past short and long periods, and 2008.
- 3 mutual funds stood out as top performers.
- 12 top individual stock are held in common between the 3 top mutual funds.
5-Year Projection: S&P 500 Price, Earnings And Dividends Using Mean Reversion Growth
- Long-term growth rates from 1957: Price 6.88% (to ~ 2700); GAAP earnings 5.90% (to ~ $115); dividends 5.37% (to ~ $45).
- Starting in internet era (1995) trend growth for price and earnings projects declines.
- Starting in internet era (1995) trend growth for dividends projects increases.
High Quality Stocks For Late Stage Bull Market (27 Stocks)
- High quality stocks are a prudent choice for a late stage, fully valued market.
- Strictly selected high quality stocks outperform the S&P 500.
- Revenue and dividend growth criteria substantially reduce the high quality universe.
10 Best And 10 Worst Net Capture Ratio ETFs Over Trailing 3 Years
- Capture ratios are a complement to other risk/reward measures.
- Best 3-yr net capture ratios found among healthcare, utilities and consumer cyclicals.
- Worst 3-yr capture ratios found among bond funds and emerging markets.
9 Filtered Dividend Stocks From Dividend Champions, Contenders And Challengers
- David Fish's Dividend Champions, Contenders and Challengers are a good universe to consider.
- Mine that universe using filter criteria that identify strengths that are important to you.
- Add balance sheet strength and credit worthiness to your review.
- Consider short-term technical factors deciding when to buy each stock.
- Go beyond quantitative review to understand each company qualitatively before you buy.
Best MLP Funds For Risk Adjusted Return Vs. S&P 500
- Actively managed mutual funds generally outperformed ETFs, CEFs and ETNs on a risk adjusted basis versus the S&P 500 on a 3-year basis.
- Close-end KED outperformed the S&P 500 on a risk adjusted basis for 3 and 5 years, and is way out front year-to-date.
- Popular ETFs and ETNs underperformed KED over the last 3 years.
MLPs With Better Risk Adjusted Return Than The S&P 500
- If you want to own MLPs and have the yield and tax advantages that many provide, you might also want to add relative risk adjusted return to your criteria.
- Identified 112 MLPs, 69 of which have at least 3 years of trading history.
- 13 have better 3-year risk adjusted return than S&P 500.
- 10 have better 5-year risk adjusted return than S&P 500.
- 5 have better 10-year risk adjusted return than S&P 500.
12 Stocks Held In Common By S&P 500 Low Volatility, High Quality And High Yield Indexes
- 12 stocks common to S&P 500 low volatility, high quality and high dividends outperformed S&P 500 over the long-term with less risk and more yield.
- As recent markets turned nervous, they are outperforming again.
- Baxter International, Chevron and Lockheed Martin stand out as most attractive of the 12.
Exchange Some Potential Return For Some Risk Reduction Within Your Equity Allocation
- US stock profit margins and market valuation are at high levels with more near-term downside potential than upside.
- Investors in late stages of accumulation, or currently relying on their portfolios to live, and who are aggressively positioned, should consider exchanging some return potential for a less risk.
- Reduce small-cap exposure, increase average market-cap, lower Beta/volatility, increase quality, and increase dividend yield (without reaching too far).
Year Ahead Price Targets For S&P 500, Its Sectors And Individual Constituents
- "Street" 12-mo nominal price return target for S&P 500 = 7.73% (index price ~ 1995).
- 3 most favored sectors are Consumer Discretionary (11.07%) Health Care (9.69%), and Energy (9.31%).
- Least favored sector is Utilities (0.35%).
- Demonstrate "Street", Thomson/Reuters StarMine, S&P Capital IQ and Value Line have major differences of opinion on attractive and unattractive S&P 500 holdings.
- Download file for Street 12-mo target price gains available for all S&P 500 holdings.
Risk Aware Investing, Part 1: Dividend ETFs
- Risk review of possible downside returns and extreme scenario stress tests for top 10 dividend ETFs.
- Comparative dividend payment patterns and upside/downside capture ratios and risk/return ratios.
- Comparative yield, valuation multiples and portfolio composition.
- Multi-Factor Selection Of Top Sectors For 2014
- 12 Northwest Quadrant ETFs Beat S&P 500
- Best Top Dividend Vs. Top Non-Dividend Stocks For Risk Adjusted Total Return
- Best Risk Adjusted Total Return Dividend Stocks
- A Double Whammy For REITs And MLPs In 2013 - More In 2014?
- Sector Allocation Comparison Of 7 Popular Dividend ETFs -- Why We Like 3 The Best
- What's Working And What's Not - December 2013
- Stocks Thrice Blessed For Technical Strength
- Dividend Stocks With Better Revenue Growth, Lower Beta And At Least 10% Price Gain Targets
- 16 Stocks That Outperform Market Fundamentally With Lower Beta
- Slim Pickin's Screening For Growth And Value Among Dividend Growth Stocks
- Selecting Sectors To Tilt Your Portfolio Exposure
- 12 Investable Banks Among The Worlds 50 Safest Banks
- Dividend Stocks Not Handling Interest Rates As Well As Low/No Dividend Stocks
- 28 Stock Selections From Reverse Engineered Stock Analyst Ratings
- 9 Dividend Stocks Growing Revenue, Profits And Dividends Above Market Rates
- Historical Returns For U.S. Stock/Bond Allocations, And Choosing Your Allocation