Richard Shaw

View Richard Shaw's Comments BY TICKER:
  • High Quality Stocks For Late Stage Bull Market (27 Stocks) [View article]
    Personally, I don't favor business development companies or mortgage REITS, but that personal preference aside, I think remaining substantially fully invested still makes sense, just with a less aggressive security selection -- and do note that my perspective is based on the character of my client base -- they are past or near the end of the accumulation stage of life and are near to or currently living on portfolio income -- they cannot replace those assets if lost but they typically must continue to develop income -- so my comments here and in this article are not necessarily appropriate for any other type of investor (I should probably make that caveat in the body of my articles)
    Jul 24, 2014. 05:44 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High Quality Stocks For Late Stage Bull Market (27 Stocks) [View article]
    Bob, yes quality and moats -- also thanks to David Fish for maintaining the CCC list. ValueLine has a rating for Price Stability, Earnings Predictability, and Growth Persistence which is a nice set of companion data, as well as 15 years of financial data -- most libraries maintain a subscription -- if you live is a small town, getting to that publication is minimally inconvenient, if you don't choose to subscribe
    Jul 24, 2014. 04:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High Quality Stocks For Late Stage Bull Market (27 Stocks) [View article]
    As a microbiologist, are you negative about the business they are in (you may have some special insights on genetic modification), or are you negative about them as a security independent of their specific business pursuits?
    Jul 24, 2014. 03:50 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High Quality Stocks For Late Stage Bull Market (27 Stocks) [View article]
    Jason, That is very kind of you. Thank you. I am a big filter fan, and generally conservative in approach -- but after the filter the detailed research starts.
    Jul 24, 2014. 03:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 9 Filtered Dividend Stocks From Dividend Champions, Contenders And Challengers [View article]
    Good call, bad typo. Will fix and have SA replace. Thanks.
    Jul 10, 2014. 11:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I am not recommending either way, just providing useful data for those who may be helped by the filtering process.

I think the criteria used in the filter are important requirement for good choices, but are not sufficient to make a purchase determination, as I stated in my closing.

There are 500+ stocks in the CCC list. This filter could save some investors many hours of work, if these criteria are important to them too. Not everybody has the time or tools to do the filter.

It may be that once the universe is reduced by filtration, that none of the survivors are of interest, but you know that those that are not survivors did not meet the particular filter criteria.
    Jul 10, 2014. 11:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Best MLP Funds For Risk Adjusted Return Vs. S&P 500 [View article]
    The prem/disc data is from morningstar. The KED factsheet also says discount
    May 10, 2014. 05:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MLPs With Better Risk Adjusted Return Than The S&P 500 [View article]
    Stevig:
    MLPL is compared to other MLP investment vehicles in the follow-up article http://seekingalpha.co...
    May 9, 2014. 07:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MLPs With Better Risk Adjusted Return Than The S&P 500 [View article]
    I will compare it to other MLP ETFs, CEFs, ETNs and Mutual Funds in a soon to be published article
    May 8, 2014. 12:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MLPs With Better Risk Adjusted Return Than The S&P 500 [View article]
    I'll put that on my list, thanks
    May 8, 2014. 12:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MLPs With Better Risk Adjusted Return Than The S&P 500 [View article]
    allday1234: I have written a number of article about MLPs in the past that may be helpful to you (check my list). Several other authors have written a lot too. Perhaps the place to begin is the "National Association of Pulicly Traded Partnerships" http://naptp.org
    May 8, 2014. 12:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 12 Stocks Held In Common By S&P 500 Low Volatility, High Quality And High Yield Indexes [View article]
    They are above average for the broad indexes.
    Apr 20, 2014. 08:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bob, me too on BAX, but thematically I think LMT is in the right area of defense, which after the Ukraine thing might result in a renewed focus on high tech defense and offense

I also own NOC and RTN in the defense area
    Apr 14, 2014. 12:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Emerald and rr76012 -- thank you for the encouragement. glad to be of some help
    Apr 14, 2014. 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Very kind of you. Thanks.
    Apr 13, 2014. 10:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment