Richard Shaw

View Richard Shaw's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Low Volatility And Yield Are Outperforming - 5 Top Rated Selections With Both [View article]
    Much appreciated.
    Apr 27 06:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Frankly, Robert, I find your comments about this article unreasonable This is free stuff, and you want more free stuff than you got. There is value within the four corners of the article. Be thankful for that. If the supplemental list is not of interest to you, then don't access it. The sense of entitlement you express in your demand for more than is provided within the article is perhaps symptomatic of the internet today, but not all content and not all information is free.
    Apr 18 10:59 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Willykabar -- I think you miss the point. I filtered for only those attributes defined above, and looked for those that had the highest bullish ratings from S&P and StarMine. That is as far as the article goes. I

I did not chose to publish the S&P and StarMine opinion on the entire list for several practical reasons, which I won't discuss here. The full list is not part of this article. It is just something extra you might like to have available, if you are thinking in terms of volatility and yield (objective attributes).

I repeat that if you are not interested in the full list, don't download it. If it is not of use to you that is OK, but if you would like to have a list of 169 out of 5,000+ companies that have been filtered that far, then I would have saved you a lot of work.

The only reason I said there are probably some clunkers is that I did not want anyone to assume that I am endorsing any of the other stocks in any way -- just filtering the stock universe to a manageable number for DIY investors to conduct their own research based on their own goals and criteria beyond volatility and yield.

Why would you assume that I would be expected to do a complete data dump of my full research in a free publication. You have received some value in the info on the five stocks, and the potential to save time looking for similar stocks in the remainder of the list. That's what is offered. The article is intended to be helpful, but not to be exhaustive. It's free, and you got more than you paid for.

What if I added the S&P and StarMine data and five more attributes, and still said there may be some clunkers? I gave you three good names with supporting information for free, and a short researchable list on the side. You have a filtered list based on defined criteria available to you for more research. Take it or leave. That's what's available to you.
    Apr 18 08:49 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jumpnjoey77 -- Oh yes, should have assumed that was what you meant, but I didn't know if that was some sort of symbol you were referencing. RCI has been distributing qualified dividend income. Not aware of a reason that it would not be now.
    Apr 17 01:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    With all due respect to you, it is a subjective matter which are clunkers and that is for you to decide. All companies pass the criteria as stated in the article. You may/should have additional criteria, and based on which they are different people will judge which are clunkers differently. If you don't want the list, then don't download it.
    Apr 17 12:35 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I'm sorry, what is "QDI"?
    Apr 17 12:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What If Gold Cost Of Production Is The Next Price Support Level [View article]
    Explained in Oct article linked to this one just above the quote
    Apr 15 11:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    dbtunr -- I agree, as the article said, "The price could go lower than the production cost, but probably not for long"
    Apr 15 05:17 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    No -- I am not making any predictions -- as the title said "What if .." Just trying to discover what might be act as a support level, because there are is a lack of traditional valuation metrics, and the chart offers virtually no hints.
    Apr 15 05:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock Analysts Have Faith In U.S. Employment Recovery [View article]
    farside -- thanks for your response -- no problem

I am glad you brought up the point of compensation though. Some discontented commenters have said to me and to other contributors that we are trolling for clicks (pennies).

While some amateur contributors may in fact be writing for money, I am not motivated, and I do not believe that other investment advisors are motivated, in any way by the minimal compensation that is paid for articles by SeekingAlpha

In fact, I wish they had not begun paying for articles, because it brings the doubt into peoples' minds you expressed about the motivation of investment advisors who publish here .

I began posting with SA in 2007 and have had the same general posting pace before and after compensation began a year or two ago. There was no compensation in 2007 and for several years

I do it because it is helpful to my business in several indirect ways. The money I get from SA is not even sufficient to regularly pay for my lunch. I make my money other ways. If SA were to discontinue compensation, there would be no change in my publication pace.

If income from clicks was my only benefit, I would not be posting at all, and would make more money and have less bother by working the counter at McDonalds.
    Apr 15 05:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    evan.prospect -- yes that Oct article is 5 months old
    Apr 15 03:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    RS055: You may be right. What do you believe is relevant?
    Apr 15 02:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Dividend Aristocrats With Highest Short- And Long-Term Revenue Growth Rates [View article]
    Good point about AFLAC ... to be clear, there is nothing about our filter that is a prediction -- the StarMine 6.8 is a strong market perform level of rating, and S&P give it their best fair value rating -- either the analyst reports are behind the times (possible I suppose) or they see other factors that balance out the currency changes. We are expressing no judgement on that question -- just providing screen results along with what independent analysts publish as their opinions.

We would like to have given info on all 84 stocks within the article, but that is too much for a post here.
    Apr 13 06:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Concerning the contrast of above median revenue growth and a Wright growth rating of zero on a 20 point scale -- it is striking, but not impossible.

Our filter was for revenue growth only, whereas the Wright rating if for a combination of several growth dimensions as listed in the article ...

"In terms of growth of net and cash earnings, dividends, retained earnings, assets and sales".
    Apr 13 06:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Quite right on that error. Should have said PNR not NNN. Will have the corrected.

The A, B, C, D is the basic school grade concept, and L means limited.

"A": indicating Outstanding, "B": Excellent, "C": Good, "D": Fair, "L": Limited,
    Apr 13 06:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment