Richard Shaw

View Richard Shaw's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dividend Stocks Not Handling Interest Rates As Well As Low/No Dividend Stocks [View article]
    Precisely why we like dividend stocks. They keep paying even when markets decline. That does not invalidate the observation made by this article, that their prices are not handling the current interest rates rise as well as low/no dividend stocks. We are not arguing against dividend stocks, just making an observation that some may find interesting.
    Sep 3, 2013. 12:02 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I did not use ETFs in any way in this analysis. Not sure of your point. Analyzed the 500 individual stocks. Simply provided the proxy ETFs that represent sectors as additional information. This article is about 500 stocks, not about 10 ETFs
    Sep 3, 2013. 12:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 28 Stock Selections From Reverse Engineered Stock Analyst Ratings [View article]
    I agree that higher yields are a goal for many, and the filter in this article would not suffice for those investors, but my only purpose was to see what the aggregate analyst community would find attractive. So, the filter is not me -- it's me simulating them.
    Aug 15, 2013. 04:33 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The true purpose of the article was to focus on a research method, and to explore what drives analyst ratings in the aggregate. However, to be published and read at SA one must include specific stock names. The list of names does help reveal something about the method, but the list is not the main point. The main point is which levels of key metrics are seen as bullish and which are not.
    Aug 15, 2013. 10:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    That's why I said the list needs to be further researched. The issue is that the filter approach creates a good short research list, but certainly not a list that should be blindly followed. Filtering is a first step, no a final step.
    Aug 15, 2013. 10:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Reuters discusses StarMine
    Aug 15, 2013. 10:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Neither
    I used the StarMine rating which is a multi-analyst rating
    Fidelity explains it in their research area.
    Aug 14, 2013. 09:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, I personally would not be inclined to own a high Beta stock .. In fact I prefer a low Beta stock
    Aug 14, 2013. 07:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 9 Dividend Stocks Growing Revenue, Profits And Dividends Above Market Rates [View article]
    I presume you are Jimandandymas, and not me as author. There is no mention of dividends with respect to ROC (price rate of change) in this article.
    Aug 5, 2013. 04:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks. Because I was using ROC (rate of change) in my tables, I thought you were referring to that meaning of ROC
    Aug 5, 2013. 01:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Not sure I understand what you mean. Are you noting a typo somewhere in the article?
    Aug 5, 2013. 10:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Historical Returns For U.S. Stock/Bond Allocations, And Choosing Your Allocation [View article]
    Here is a Tweet we did recently with a chart from JP Morgan Asset Management that addresses that point:
    Jul 31, 2013. 11:09 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P 500 Price Not Expensive By Historical P/Es [View article]
    WallStreetDebunker: Good article reference. Thanks.
    Jul 24, 2013. 09:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P 500 Price Not Expensive By Historical P/Es [View article]
    No Free Cake -- nice chart -- thanks
    Jul 24, 2013. 07:56 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P 500 Price Not Expensive By Historical P/Es [View article]
    Yes, the legend on the chart specifies that the 109 estimate is from S&P, and that the average IBES estimate is 111

I have made no estimates
    Jul 23, 2013. 09:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment