Rick Dude

View Rick Dude's Comments BY TICKER:
  • ChipMOS Shares Should Triple To $30 In 2012 [View article]
    Sounds like you've done your homework!

I will be interested in watching this?
    Mar 1, 2012. 06:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ChipMOS Shares Should Triple To $30 In 2012 [View article]
    There is too much downside here for me.

2009 Cost of Rev exceeded Revenues; I don't see a company that controls cost well when the industry as a whole declines.

To understand IMOS you have to understand the negative forces impacting LCD manufacturers right now, one of which is decreasing margins. Furthermore, the fact that you are so confident to make a call in the price movement within a set amount of time sounds to me like you are possibly not thinking completely subjective about this. Real value analysis typically acknowledges that the holding period for value plays is theoretically forever. I think a real risk here is that the declining environment of their industry will swallow any value before its realized on the market.
    Feb 27, 2012. 11:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • RIM: Sometimes Words Speak Louder Than Actions [View article]
    I like your style Rocco, an entertaining analysis; I am holding my tongue until I see the Q4 numbers in April (which also will be the FY2011 numbers). I know they will be bad, the question is are they bad in comparison to the market price, are there indicators that sales are going to continue to fall apart, and if so, how long does RIM have to get it together.
    Jan 23, 2012. 03:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Reasons to Buy Research In Motion [View article]
    Well I actually exited most of my position a few weeks back.

While I think that RIMM will recover, the story currently is that their earnings are in taters.

This was not the case when I wrote this article...their earnings were still growing (according to the data available at the time).
    Dec 29, 2011. 09:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Dividend Superstars [View article]
    You are correct. A better wording would have been "the share price didn't budge upward, but rather continued to sink"...I imagine this is in step with the general trend around Chinese ADRs. I blame the ETFs and the massive correlation they create!
    Nov 14, 2011. 01:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Dividend Superstars [View article]
    I see. Good to know, and I assume you mean non-operational gain.

This to me is not really an always-bad red flag, unless of course you see large non-operational gains over and over again.

In my very narrow quant world-view, I have a hard time spotting qualitative reasoning to quantitative red-flags (this would require research into the 10-K/20-F which you did...a cookie for you!)
    Nov 14, 2011. 01:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Stocks To Consider: 4 To Add And 1 To Dump [View article]
    These things are true, and maybe a shortful of my quant method...I don't look at year over year stats, and therefore declining revenue is not an issue as long as the margin looks good.

Long term, declining revenue is definitely a problem for shareholders...perhaps I should add this into the method as a penalty...I already do so for high intangible assets, negative tangible equity and high administrative costs.

That said...I still stand behind my results...much of the RIMM panic is due to the last few quarters. Looking at the 10 year snapshot RIMM looks great, which is what my quant method does. So even if I were to factor in declining revenue, I don't think it would change the final outcome, which recommends RIMM as a buy.

You can laugh but we beat the S&P. Blogged about it here:
    Nov 1, 2011. 12:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Stocks To Consider: 4 To Add And 1 To Dump [View article]
    I am an advocate of purely quantitative analysis. The tool I built, had and still has RIMM as a well run company from a quantitative perspective (good profit margin, good debt control compared to competitors). While sometimes the method is wrong, its more right than wrong, and most importantly...it takes the emotion out of the judgement.

Have a look for yourself at the RIMM analysis:
    Nov 1, 2011. 11:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Has Broken Technically And The Selling Will Be Scary [View article]
    Did you just respond to clear signals of sector instability (precious metals) with a conspiracy theory? And someone high-fived you?

Wow.
    Sep 25, 2011. 01:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Is Done ... For Now [View article]
    Eric interesting you mention AAPL and GOOG. Both got fantastic scores in a tool I built (you can get an alpha key at http://forcastix.com)

AAPL is showing real signs of being overpriced, however (too much forward-looking P/E built into the price I believe).
    Sep 25, 2011. 01:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Is Done ... For Now [View article]
    Eric did you read this article?

Came up on reddit.com/r/investing

Here is a summary: when the fed raises rates, gold is going to fall apart.
    Sep 25, 2011. 01:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Is Done ... For Now [View article]
    Well, I just went long DZZ today. Likely will be the only bright spot in my portfolio for a little while.
    Sep 22, 2011. 09:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Reasons to Buy Research In Motion [View article]
    You know what August? I bought RIMM, and I'm down 28%. I don't care, as this is not a short term play. I don't do short term plays.

I do not understand why traders come to articles clearly written for investors and spout their drivel.
    Sep 22, 2011. 04:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Reasons to Buy Research In Motion [View article]
    Why would he retract any of this? Its only been one quarter. His second paragraph said:
    " I see very good upside from here with limited downside in the long term. " What exactly does long term mean for you? Because for most people, its outlooks over a year.
    Sep 20, 2011. 11:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Is Done ... For Now [View article]
    Excellent point Mark. I think my point is, between precious metal ETFs like GLD, low cost brokers like Scottrade/Zecco, and the fact that savings rates and CD rates are so ridiculously low, I would speculate that a lot of people are in gold in some shape or form, even if its small amounts such as $500 or $1000.
    Aug 30, 2011. 01:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment