Rico Silvetti

View Rico Silvetti's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Is The Pendulum Swinging From Oil Back To Natural Gas? [View article]
    Side street question, but what is your advice for someone considering converting from heating oil to natural gas heating in a forever home? The payback appears to be within 5 years, however I'd like some assurance that those in the know think natural gas heating will be lower if not substantially lower long term. Long term let's define as 20 years.
    Apr 3 11:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Time To Reconsider Your Portfolio Strategy [View article]
    Great article. Couple constructive clarifications:

1. I got slightly confused in the allocation regarding US, foreign, or global. Ie, did you mean US REITs, or global? I define global as US+Foreign, but I realize some do not and state global to mean world without US.
    2. Regarding 5% in global energy, if you advocate reducing energy exposure, why not instead of 5% global energy have 5% S&P index?
    Jul 19 09:30 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Several Less-Publicized Macroeconomic And Market Data Points Suggest Stocks Vulnerable [View article]
    The tickersense sentiment poll is 40% bearish vs 32% bullish. Also, a quick scan of money.cnn.com and it's almost exclusively bearish news. I don't personally hear any people in 'normal' life talking about how they're getting into stocks and riding a hot streak. This is pretty far from 1999 from a pure sentiment point of view.
    Jun 20 08:44 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Company With The Most To Lose From An Online Sales Tax [View article]
    I bought an approximately 4k engagement ring there in 2010, and in addition to the sales tax I noticed a huge disparity in the quality I could get there vs a physical store. My recollection was that the exact particulars of my stone would have cost me approximately 6k in the physical store. Also, the physical store appeared to have very little wiggle room in the price, which I was expecting given my explanation of what could be had on blue nile. I (we) came out of the blue nile experience very pleased overall.

I wouldn't necessarily view my experience as making me bullish or bearish, just my 2c.
    Apr 29 07:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Valuations Support 1% Or Less For U.S. Stocks Over Next 20 Years [View article]
    A great article and very informative. I wonder if there is a way to extrapolate this data to foreign markets. For example, Gurufocus has a tab where it shows similar projections for the US market as in this article based on Shiller PE. However it also shows a similar figure using marketcap/GDP or a similar ratio to that, which matches the projected returns for the US but shows stellar returns for several developing and developed markets. I would like to hear the author's recommended portfolio allocation given his conclusions. Even a 0% market over the next 20 years might beat Bonds and Cash given the dividends. A total market ETF produces about 3.3% dividends as of now, and like I've said, foreign markets may very well be the drivers of the next 20 years and return very close to the standard 6% after inflation returns. Someone correctly brought up this effect on the S&P, and how the new integrated world economy may make these historical data points meaningless. I'm not saying this time it's different, but it's a worthy discussion.

I'm 32 and have about 30% of my portfolio in emerging markets.
    Apr 17 10:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Can Beat Them, Why Join Them? ETFs As Viable Long-Term Investments [View article]
    Great article, very well written. My only comment would be to diversify internationally. The past 100 years have obviously seen the USA go from one of many strong global powers to the sole superpower. Despite this, the US only represents about 45% of the global stock market. The best part is that you can get the rest of the world in one index fund with most providers such as vanguard, fidelity, etc.
    Jan 24 01:21 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Are These Creatures We Call REITs? Real Estate, Equities, Or Fixed Income? [View article]
    The question I've long wrestled with regarding REITs and the advice to hold an amount such as 10% of portfolio, is in regards to the fact that these individual REITs such as Simon Property are represented in the indexes. In other words, putting 10% of my portfolio in REITs and the rest of my stock portion in say the S&P500 index simply means I'm going overweight REITs. While I understand that REITs have components which set them apart such as stability and yield, the same can be said of many other sectors of the market. I can put 10% in a European stock index and yield 6.5%, and make a perhaps wise contrarian bet that even the dissolution of the Euro will still result in a world that puts BP gas in their car, while calling a friend on their Vodofone service, and agreeing to meet for some Nestle chocolate.

Aren't I better off, assuming efficient market theory, putting my whole stock portion in large indexes which span the globe and leaving sector selection to the pros?
    Oct 3 08:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock Rankings According To Hedge Fund Investing (Part 6) [View article]
    Did the same with JNJ due to their 19.7BN acquisition during the quarter. JNJ was a slight loser in alpha so it offsets KMI nicely. Both have been deleted from our sample.

Clearly in the past I have added stocks that I shouldn't have based on acquisitions. But since previous buys have been held since the pros continued buying this most recent quarter, my data is still intact for purposes of our analysis.

In the future, stocks with major acquisitions that completed during the quarter will be removed from consideration for buying.
    Sep 10 12:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock Rankings According To Hedge Fund Investing (Part 6) [View article]
    Sold KMI today after realizing much of their new shares are part of the acquisition of El Paso (EP). KMI had a marginal positive alpha at this time so deleting it from the data is the best way to keep the data relevant.
    Sep 10 11:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Diablo 3 Shows Why Video Game Companies Are Risky Investments [View article]
    Just to clarify the auction house issue, there seems to be some confusion. What I and I believe others meant by saying you have to buy things in the auction house was referring to buying with D3 gold, not real money. So in effect, I paid $60 for the game but didn't spend any real money in the auction house. However, I definitely HAD to spend D3 gold to buy more suitable items in order to progress in the game. This most certainly has not been reasonably fixed with the latest patch. My point in regards to this is that it's possible their thinking was that if they all but require you to buy in the gold or auction house in order to progress, you'll be less likely to want an illegal copy and also more likely to get stuck playing the illegal copy and be unable to progress.

I had an enjoyable time playing and sold approximately $150 worth of items in the real money auction house, so in some regards there is potential for earning a tiny income playing the game. And I certainly approached the game knowing I would only spend $60 and nothing in the real money auction house. I would have broken that promise to myself had the logistics of buying and selling in the auction house not been so poor. What I mean is, I'd frequently see items for sale for $2 (buy it now) that I knew were likely $10-20 items. Simply buy low sell high. I did that constantly and to profit using D3 gold. And for a person of my investing interests, that aspect of the game was right in my wheelhouse.

Again, was D3 a poor runout from a fan perspective, absolutely. But I would say that a brilliant game with great auction house and great logistics is a definite path forward for profitable gaming.
    Aug 16 01:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Diablo 3 Shows Why Video Game Companies Are Risky Investments [View article]
    I think any discussion on D3's profitability is incomplete without discussing the online-only aspect of the game. By online-only, I mean the game requires you log in at all times while playing, in an effort to eliminate illegal copying of the game for mass download. Most of the bad user reviews could easily be by gamers who simply do not pay for PC games because of the ease with which they can be stolen from sites like piratebay.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 was released last November, and right now about 3000 people are downloading it illegally on piratebay. That's not a business model I want any part of. At the very least, the crappy game and logistical run out of D3, which still resulted in a profitable game should be seen as a potentially bullish forward indicator. I overheard the following sentence at least a few times in talking to gaming friends: "first PC game I paid money for in 5 years". Judging from piratebay, there is still no working illegal version of D3 to even play the game in single player mode. Cooperative play with strangers from around the globe is by far the most fun aspect of the game, and that's long been a very difficult thing for the illegal versions to create.

In addition, it's clear to me a game that all but requires you buy and sell specialized items in the auction house is trying to make a stolen version of the game unplayable and not fun. In other words, you don't find the items you need walking around like you do in other role playing games. I wouldn't call it a conspiracy, but the whole game screams to me "let's try to make a game that avoids piracy at all costs".

To sum up, I wouldn’t call D3 a bearish indicator for the future. And while I’m not a buyer either, with proper execution, the model of a role playing game with an auction house could easily be the path forward for video game company profits.
    Aug 15 08:56 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock Ranking According To Hedge Fund Investing (Part 5) [View article]
    Added 80sh BP @$36.62 with VT @$43.29 to my data. Will reflect in next quarters results table.
    May 31 10:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stock Ranking According To Hedge Fund Investing (Part 4) [View article]
    Appreciate the comment.

It definitely concerns me that from quarter to quarter, there are plenty of changes in opinion among the experts. Take Amazon: it was purchased greatly at the last update (3 months ago), but this update showed a lot of hedge funds exiting the stock. I wouldn't expect that, given my assumptions about my system. Put another way, I'd be more convinced in my system if there were less stocks I buy and then have to sell 3 months later. I do have the ability to look at individual funds and can therefore select funds aiming primarily for long term value to better interpret the results. That helps me to hold onto several stocks given that my hypothesis is that they, in the opinion of long term value fund managers, are long term holdings.
    Feb 27 12:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • James Kostohryz Positions For 2012: 100% Cash The Only Way To Play This Market [View article]
    You said:

"Wrong on #2. Contrarianism depends on what segment of the market you are looking at. If you are looking at short-term traders, being long stocks may be contrarian. However, the vast majority of individual investors are still psychologically in the grips of the notion that they should be invested at all times.

The bottom is not in when short-term traders have all sold or are short. The bottom will be in when this segment of the market - the putatively "long term investors" -- starts unloading."

My response:

I suppose there are many definitions of market bottom while viewing it in the moment. I strongly disagree that most people are still fully invested in the stock market. I don't have the exact stats and I can't find the article with a search, but I've seen references to the fact that this is a historically low exposure to the stock market for US citizens. I can't state whether this is a more contrarian signal than traders being short, I'm not sure how you'd quantify that. The bottom line for me is that if you want to be contrarian and do the opposite of what the mainstream investor or trader is doing, you'd be long stocks.
    Dec 22 01:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Two comments:

1. If buying and holding is too difficult for the average investor, then advocating market timing into cash now and then into equities at some vague future time seems like a much harder proposition. I think you underestimate the abilities of the average investor to sock money into a 401k, put it in 60/40 stocks/bonds and forget about it.

2. It's indisputable that the contrarian play is to actually be IN equities right now. The news is reporting nightly on the bad state of the economy and the risks of European collapse. We have mass protests in US cities and more severely around the globe. Mauldin sends his pants crapping emails daily. Arguing for cash is arguing that there's not "blood in the streets". Clearly there is. For money the average person doesn't need for 10+ years, something in the range of 60% global equities is the right play.
    Dec 22 08:12 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment