Rob Close

View Rob Close's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Food Stamp Usage Is Cratering And That Might Be A Bad Sign [View article]
    I was on Food Stamps 4 years ago - when I scored a part-time job, and sent them my paycheck. They added it to my unemployment check, and said it was too much income. Of course, my unemployment was no longer active, so they messed up. I sent them the paperwork again, as requested, and was told that the agent in charge had been on vacation for a month, and my submission had expired - but could I send it again (the exact same info - which was still on his desk). So I sent it all again, and was told they never received it.

So we decided to go to the office in person, and were told by the lady that we didn't qualify. Yet by the chart in her office, and online, we clearly did. But the rude lady agent kept telling us it was pointless. We gave her all the paperwork on the spot, left, and then were told later that she didn't receive my pay-stubs (which I gave her). We then went back again, gave that same agent everything required, were told we were all set - and then were told again, later, that something was missing (not even told what this time). We went back AGAIN, requested a new agent, met with a much nicer man, made sure we had everything all set, and then found out again, weeks later, that something was missing (once again, we were not told what was missing, and we were guaranteed that we had given everything necessary).

What does this tell me? That food stamp agents have a mission to disqualify as many people as they can, through any means possible.
    Jun 18 10:57 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme-Bunge renewable oils plant begins commercial production in Brazil [View news story]
    Time to squeeze the massive amount of shorts...
    May 29 12:16 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Top 5 Absurd Carl Icahn Quotes About Herbalife [View article]
    It took only 3 hours for your comment to appear foolish.
    Apr 11 10:04 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Solazyme Believes Algae Milk Is The Next Big Thing [View article]
    I completely disagree.

Biofuels sell for less than any other type of oil they have developed.

If they have extra capacity, it will always be an option. But until then, forget about it.
    Mar 11 05:37 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Solazyme's Pathway For Growth Is Beginning To Clear Up [View article]
    Yeah, they are dreaming. Consider how much sugar that would require!

Unless Solazyme starts getting their sugar from yeast, who get it from the air...

Then it would just require massive amounts of factories and infrastructure.
    Feb 19 07:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Solazyme's Pathway For Growth Is Beginning To Clear Up [View article]
    I went and changed their Wikipedia page a few weeks ago to fix that misconception. A couple days later, Google picked up on the change - they had been referencing the first few sentences of that Wiki article to anyone who searched for Solazyme.
    Feb 19 07:02 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Facebook Becoming The Next MySpace? [View article]
    I think it's a death knell for FB - and entirely true.
    Feb 11 01:36 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SodaStream: In A Worst Case Scenario Still Undervalued By 10% Even With Dripping Profits [View article]
    According to this blog post, if you spend less than $1.33 per 2 liter soda, you'll never make your money back on a Sodastream.

I don't drink soda, but my wife does - and it costs $0.79 for a 2 liter of diet cola.

In full disclosure, I did the math myself a year ago, and it came out better than that blog post - a little under a buck - but it was still 15-20 cents more expensive per 2 liter, even with the sunk-cost of the machine factored out.
    Feb 6 09:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Solazyme says commercial production of renewable algal oils at Iowa plants [View news story]
    I know many people hear your words and think "pumper, whatever..."
    But I completely agree. It was a bargain at $8.20, and a steal at anything under IPO value right now. Very few companies present as much growth potential as Solazyme. Here were my thoughts on SZYM a couple months ago:
    Jan 30 10:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Bitcoin Matters [View article]
    Did you read this article?

Did you not understand the value behind the code and the network? That is the substance of Bitcoin. By your logic, every single software company on earth has no substance, simply by not being readily tangible.

There is infrastructure in Bitcoin. I ate lunch on Sunday paying with Bitcoin. I paid for my gift card to Whole Foods & Amazon with Bitcoin, earning extra % cash back for it in the process.

That said, there certainly has been a series of speculative bubbles in its value. Sort of like Amazon & Netflix stock - the cart is racing well before the horse, but was the market wrong?

There are real problems with Bitcoin though - the amount of electricity being pumped into mining is absurdly wasteful - it's unnecessary and against the democratic intentions of mining for coins in the first place. Newer coins have faster transaction times, greater security, easier mining, and other benefits that are too numerous to expand upon here. Check out Quark, for example.

As Bitcoin builds out the infrastructure for other coins to follow, it won't be long before services like Bitpay are letting customers pay with the crypto of their choice. Other coins will find the path much easier to commercial acceptance, and as they improve upon the Bitcoin model, we'll see the progression from Friendster to Myspace to Facebook in this sector. Heck, Bitcoin might even survive, warts and all! Though I do foresee a big drop coming...
    Jan 28 02:47 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Death Of A Salesman: The Herbalife Cycle In Action [View article]
    So what? The info he's looking for is still relevant.
    Jan 7 05:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Death Of A Salesman: The Herbalife Cycle In Action [View article]
    The first line is the author stating his short position, so yes, that is obvious.

What I don't get are people who only care about the numbers. The story matters just as much when analyzing a company, and the story of HLF is full of holes - or X's, as the author notes. If I were a shareholder, I would be irate at this level of concealment.

Disclaimer: I have never had any stake or position in HLF, and no intention of changing that.
    Jan 7 05:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Time To Exit Exxon And Chevron Stock [View article]
    I just read a lot of numbers, but no explanation for them.

Why will revenue keep dropping in 2014?

What does 2015 project?

Numbers seem a bit cherry-picked, and without context.
    Jan 6 01:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T: My Least Favorite Dow Stock For 2014 [View article]
    3 years ago, my friends were paying an average of $90/month for their smartphones and data plans, from AT&T.

Today, my average friend is paying around $45/month. Many of them are still with AT&T, but a few have left, and none have joined.

Sprint & T-Mobile offer far better values. Verizon offers far better coverage. What does AT&T offer to a new customer today?
    Jan 5 12:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook Paid Too Much For Instagram [View article]
    Facebook NEEDED to buy Instagram. FB has to stay relevant to the youth, and as the parents came on board, kids have been lost. Revenues come later.

And as someone who has run many ad campaigns on FB, I can tell you that the price per impression has skyrocketed over the last couple months. FB is monetizing quite well, and I think they know what they are doing.

That said, the company is WAY overvalued right now, and will probably collapse within 10 years. A terrible investment choice, imho.
    Jan 1 01:08 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment