Rob Ward

View Rob Ward's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Conservative Total Return Portfolio: New And Increased Positions, Plus 2 Stocks 'Pop' [View article]
    Really like your logic and reasoning with your portfolio. Like Dale said, you might add a few PG like stocks to the portfolio for peace of mind to get closer to 20 (my personal sweet spot).
    Apr 20, 2015. 08:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • KISS Retirement Portfolio: My Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    I like your strategy. Most of my portfolio is in ETF"s as well. I use DTD for USA stocks and VEU for international. My bond portion is a combination of VCSH,VWOB, and BND.
    Mar 31, 2015. 06:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold Out Of Exxon Mobil [View article]
    There is more to come as well.
    Mar 20, 2015. 07:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold Out Of Exxon Mobil [View article]
    :). If they have to borrow to do it, I hope they do neither.
    Mar 19, 2015. 04:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Recent Buys - Omega Healthcare Investors And T. Rowe Price [View article]
    Many people think of a dividend like an interest payment. Dividends come from earnings, we hope (and not from borrowing). I pick the stocks I own based on fundamentals. Many companies, mostly mature ones, have excess cash flow and pay a dividend as a result. I am drawn to these mature companies first for the earnings, second for the lack of volatility, and third for the dividend. Not paying a dividend does not make a stock and automatic "No" for me. BRK has done pretty good long term.

My portfolio averages 2.75% dividend. To me, that is a good mix of value and growth that will hold up in the rising rate environment that will happen at some point.
    Mar 19, 2015. 01:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold Out Of Exxon Mobil [View article]
    I would rather them suspend the dividend and keep the buybacks going strong when the share price is down.
    Mar 19, 2015. 01:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Recent Buys - Omega Healthcare Investors And T. Rowe Price [View article]
    I enjoyed the conversation Robert, I guess we will just disagree as I feel higher EPS leads to higher demand, higher share price, and more ability to pay an ever increasing dividend.

I am pretty sure we are going to get to the same destination in the end. Just might take a few different roads along the way. Happy investing!
    Mar 17, 2015. 01:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Recent Buys - Omega Healthcare Investors And T. Rowe Price [View article]
    I am a total return investor, so I am somewhere in the middle of capital gain/dividend investor. As a result, I do not think dividends are bad, nor the holy grail. I am 20+ years from retirement, and do not need current income BTW.

You honestly think PG's stock would be $81.83 if they still had that $11/share in dividends they have paid in the last 5 years? Debt could be less, R&D could have cut costs, or they could have bought back stock. All raising EPS.
    Mar 16, 2015. 12:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Income Strategy: Can You Afford To Play It Safe? [View article]
    I see your point. I am 20 years from retirement, so I keep reinvesting and adding with yearly contributions. I suspect I may have 20 stocks by the time I retire. Each stock is really only 5-6% if you consider the bond allocation in my portfolio.
    Mar 15, 2015. 10:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Recent Buys - Omega Healthcare Investors And T. Rowe Price [View article]
    Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing?

CEF's are an easy way to see NAV erosion from paying out too much in dividends. Not paying a dividend does not mean you hoard cash, there are other uses for excess capital.

The whole point is that dividends come from somewhere. It is not free money, and does influence share price. Once again, that does not make them bad.

PG has paid out over $11/share in dividends in the past 5 years, do you think the stock would be over $81.83 right now had they not paid the dividend?
    Mar 15, 2015. 03:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Income Strategy: Can You Afford To Play It Safe? [View article]
    I have 12 stocks and VEU for international exposure, I own every sector except energy currently. There is a fair share in VEU however. It is way less than most, but that is what works for me. I could never figure out why some have 3 big oils, 4 utilities, 5 consumer staples, and 6 REITS. Why not pick 1-2 per sector and be done with it.
    Mar 14, 2015. 04:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Recent Buys - Omega Healthcare Investors And T. Rowe Price [View article]
    I agree, as long as other aspects of the business are not being neglected to do so. Big oil comes to mind. We will see what they do with dividends.
    Mar 14, 2015. 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Recent Buys - Omega Healthcare Investors And T. Rowe Price [View article]
    No doubt about it, TROW is a great stock with great fundamentals. My only point is that dividend money is money that can no longer be used for buybacks, M/A, R&D, or paying down debt. That does not make them bad though.

Very nice article by the way. We are on the same page, your selections are very good long term plays IMO. OHI is the perfect combination of growth and income. Just wanted to point out that dividends come from somewhere and do effect share price.
    Mar 13, 2015. 03:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Recent Buys - Omega Healthcare Investors And T. Rowe Price [View article]
    Did I say it had to go down??? If the dividend is bigger than earnings/income, the NAV goes down. This happens a lot with CEF's because expenses and dividends are too high. The same thing happens with stocks as well, even dividend aristocrats. XOM for example, they are in a pickle right now.
    Mar 13, 2015. 10:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kinder Morgan: Trees Don't Grow To The Sky [View article]
    Yes, OHI has a very nice dividend growth history, it is slowing though. It gets tougher and tougher to increase a dividend double digits FFO has grown as well along the way to support the raises.

My point is that I would rather have lower dividend growth that is conservative/repeatable than big increases that don't last, and eventually get cut.
    Mar 13, 2015. 09:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment