Rob_Stein

View Rob_Stein's Comments BY TICKER:
  • GE: Retail Finance Unit IPO [View article]
    Thanks NYC.
    Dec 2 11:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GE: Retail Finance Unit IPO [View article]
    Hmmmm. If they split off an asset that is presently part of GE, and then tell owners they can simply keep their shares in GE (isn't that owning GE - now minus the asset being split - a result leaving the shareholder with no compensation for the split off asset). And if the other option is to trade some GE shares for the new company - isn't that giving up all the rest of GE assets in favor of a split off one?

What am I missing? Thanks.
    Dec 2 09:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • GE: Retail Finance Unit IPO [View article]
    Wish I knew. I'm not seeing it.
    Dec 1 03:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Start IRA Conversions Early To Have More Purchasing Power Later [View article]
    haschultz,

Yes, you can do it in stages over several years. In fact, the best strategy (I think) is to do conversions only up to the amount that keep you in the 15% bracket.

Starting conversions early (if you are young and probably would not tap your 401k or IRA until age 70 and 1/2) will help reduce size of the mandatory distribution you would have to take - at age 70 and 1/2 probably in the 25% + bracket because your 500,000 401k/IRA will have grown). Also, having Roth money gives you extra flexibility in retirement to choose which account to draw out of which can help you manage taxes better.
    Aug 18 11:33 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fed Pullback: Warning Or Opportunity? [View article]
    Nice article. I like it. I think there is still some air in some of these core holding names but scaling in to add to positions should work well over time.
    Jun 25 08:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Everything Is Being Sold [View article]
    Roughly 5% of the air has come out of the market from the highs (all time) this year. Another 5% from here would put us at around 14,000 - just 300 or so points lower than the previous all time high (pre 2008 crisis). Not too terrible.

Tapering and the end to QE has to come sometime. Interest rates need to normalize. My view is things will be rocky as the process continues but the market will stabilize and things won't get near as bad as 2008.
    Jun 20 06:38 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio Management - 10 Tips For Better Results [View article]
    Thanks, I'll look at it.
    Jun 12 09:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio Management - 10 Tips For Better Results [View article]
    I believe that might be the best comment I have ever received. Thank you.
    Jun 12 05:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio Management - 10 Tips For Better Results [View article]
    nick,

I also use the sector designations from yahoo finance. They are limiting as you say and I don't always agree with the sector they choose for a company. Anyway, as for REITs - to me they can cut across different areas - for example you have mortgage REITs in the financial space, health care REITs in health care, retail shopping center REITs, apartment REITs, etc.

MLPs are in energy and basic materials but I personally consider them a separate sector (or maybe a subsector) - oil and/or gas pipelines. That seems to me to be a separate animal so that's the way I think of it.

Rob
    Jun 12 01:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Avoid REITs, MLPs And Utilities In This Market? [View article]
    Thank you for the kind words and for reading. As for taking profits across your portfolio resulting in a large tax bill - it also creates the problem of when to get back in. Then you have to guess on market direction and timing, or - if you are waiting for the stock to become inexpensive before re-entering the position, you may have a very long wait (and the dividend is gone during that time).
    Jun 5 11:01 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Avoid REITs, MLPs And Utilities In This Market? [View article]
    I am watching to add to TCAP as well.
    Jun 5 08:30 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Avoid REITs, MLPs And Utilities In This Market? [View article]
    Excellent points. Thanks for commenting.

Rob
    Jun 4 10:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should You Avoid REITs, MLPs And Utilities In This Market? [View article]
    Neil 5,

If you are thinking about taking the tax hit on MLPs, for good info take a look at articles by reelken. http://seekingalpha.co...

Rob
    Jun 4 06:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Paychex: A Stable Dividend And A Catalyst For Growth [View article]
    In late December of 2012 PAYX accelerated two quarters of dividend payments from 2013 into 2012 as taxes on dividends were expected to rise in 2013. See the link below for their explanation.
    May 28 02:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Action Plan With The Market At All-Time Highs [View article]
    Alex,
    I understand your point of view. It's just that this market is at all time highs and had yet to pause for 6 months (although just prior to today the S & P had dipped about 2,6%).

Rob