Robert Allan Schwartz

View Robert Allan Schwartz's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway, And Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    "The only other Munger quote (I think) on diversification I've heard is something to the effect that "no one ever got rich by diversifying.""

You don't GET rich by diversifying.
    You STAY rich by diversifying.
    Apr 17 03:06 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions: 13 Increases Expected By The End Of June [View article]
    "His reason for this size of an investment is because he believes it is a valuable company that will give him a good return on his investment over the long haul. So, his endorsement should mean a lot to everyone."

Suppose Buffett bought IBM because he wanted/expected a capital gain.
    Suppose you bought IBM because you want/expect rising dividend income.
    The two of you bought the same company, for different reasons.

"valuable" is relative. "valuable" in terms of capital gain, "valuable" in terms of rising dividend income, "valuable" in terms of <other reason>?

"good return on his investment" - same thing. Capital gain return? Dividend income return? Total return?
    Apr 17 02:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Identify Your Dividend Investment Goals [View article]
    "good stocks for the February/May/August/Nov cycle"

Apr 17 02:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    "the critics are going to come out of the woodwork. It comes with the territory."

Isn't there some old sports quote, "They only run after the guy who has the ball"?
    Apr 17 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    "Mr. Market delivered a lump of coal today to those focused primarily on price."

The market went down?
    I didn't notice. :-)
    Apr 17 11:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    "I plagiarized it."

See the Tom Lehrer song "Lobachevsky".
    Apr 17 11:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    Has anyone else realized that we DGI folk are way funnier than the capital-gain/total-return folk? :-)
    Apr 17 11:40 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    "The month the increased dividends get paid."

I got that covered:

Apr 17 11:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • April Showers Bring... Dividend Growth, Joy And Fun! [View article]
    "They call us a cult, but isn't that what cult leaders do -- try to win over the infidels?!?!?!"

Mike, that is such an good point. They're trying to convert us, but I've never heard of a DGI trying to convert anyone else to DGI.
    Apr 17 11:35 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Champions: 13 Increases Expected By The End Of June [View article]
    "IBM is Buffett's 4th largest investment. That is a strong endorsement of IBM in my opinion."

It depends.
    Did his reasons for buying IBM match your reasons for buying IBM?
    If not, then his endorsement does not mean that much for you.
    It might achieve his goals, but it might not achieve your goals.
    Apr 17 10:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What If My Stocks Crash And Burn? Part 2 [View article]
    Hilo, you've revealed that HiloBeMagical is an anagram of your name. I hope no one looks through all 12757 anagrams, and figures out who you really area. :-)
    Apr 15 08:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • First-Quarter Portfolio Review: There's Change On The Way [View article]
    "a stock like T fits that picture and nevertheless many people (including me) hold it for its higher yield and apparent long-term reliability."

I do too. At first I was only interested in dividend GROWTH companies. I still am, but I find my portfolio benefits from also containing companies that pay a high current yield, with little or no dividend growth.

Some companies pay me now, other companies pay me later.
    Apr 15 08:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What If My Stocks Crash And Burn? Part 2 [View article]

for 12757 anagrams of HiloBeMagical. :-)
    Apr 14 02:40 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Clorox Clean Up For Shareholders? [View article]
    Hungry, I am flattered by your comment. I wish I had the abilities you think I have! :-)

Robert
    Apr 14 02:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Safety, Stability And High Income For The Retired Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    "My problem with gold as a currency is that it has no clearly discernible value. Is it worth $2000 or $1,000 or $650 per ounce? No one really knows, but many have opinions."

That's because there is no longer a gold "standard". When there was such a standard, there was a clearly defined relationship between one ounce of gold and some number of "dollars".
    Apr 14 02:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment