Robert Allan Schwartz

View Robert Allan Schwartz's Comments BY TICKER:
AA, AAN, AAPL, ABBV, ABC, ABT, ADM, ADP, AFL, AGD, AGG, AGNC, AJG, AMGN, AMIGF, AMZN, APD, ARCP, ARCT, ARG, AVIV, AVP, AWK, AWR, BA, BAX, BBL, BBY, BCE, BCR, BDJ, BDT, BDX, BEN, BF.B, BGG, BGS, BHP, BIP, BLL, BMR, BMS, BND, BOKF, BP, BRC, BREW, BRK.A, BRK.B, BTI, BUD, CAG, CAH, CAT, CATO, CB, CBRL, CHD, CHEUY, CHRW, CIM, CINF, CL, CLCT, CLX, CM, CMI, CMLP, CMRE, CNI, CNRD, COP, COST, CPB, CR, CSCO, CTL, CVR, CVX, DBD, DE, DEO, DGRS, DGRW, DIA, DIS, DKS, DLR, DLX, DOV, DOW, DPS, DRI, DTN, DVY, DX, EADSF, EBF, ECL, ED, EMR, ENB, ERIE, ESLT, ESV, ETN, EV, EXC, EXR, FAST, FB, FDS, FHCO, FII, FLY, FRD, FRT, FSC, FTR, FUN, GCI, GD, GE, GEF, GEF.B, GIS, GLD, GME, GOOD, GPC, GRMN, GWW, HAS, HCBK, HCLP, HCP, HEINY, HGIC, HHS, HMN, HNZ, HOG, HRL, HRS, HSH, HSY, HT, HTA, HYG, IBM, IDV, INTC, IRM, ITW, IVV, JCI, JCP, JJSF, JNJ, K, KMB, KMI, KMP, KO, KODK, KRFT, LANC, LDR, LECO, LEG, LLY, LMT, LO, LOW, M, MAIN, MAT, MCD, MCHP, MDLZ, MDP, MDT, MET, MHFI, MKC, MMM, MN, MNDO, MNR, MO, MON, MOS, MRK, MSFT, MUR, NEE, NHI, NKE, NLY, NOC, NP, NRP, NSC, NSRGF, NSRGY, NUE, NUS, NVS, NWL, O, OFC, OHI, OKE, ORCL, ORI, OSGB, OXY, PAYX, PBI, PCAR, PEP, PERM, PFE, PFG, PG, PH, PII, PM, PNR, POT, PPG, PPO, PSX, PX, QCOM, RAS, RAVN, RDC, RDS.A, RDS.B, REG, RLI, ROST, RPM, RRD, RSG, RSH, RTN, RY, SAFT, SBUX, SDRL, SDY, SEP, SHW, SJM, SLF, SO, SON, SPLS, SPLV, SPY, STON, STRA, STX, SVU, SWK, SYK, SYY, T, TAL, TAP, TAXI, TBT, TD, TEVA, TGH, TGT, THO, TIP, TIS, TJX, TLT, TMP, TOT, TR, TROW, TRV, TUP, UG, UL, UMH, UN, UNH, UPS, UTX, UVE, UVV, V, VALE, VDIGX, VFC, VGR, VIG, VIVO, VMC, VNRCF, VO, VTR, VYM, VZ, WAG, WDFC, WEN, WFC, WFM, WHR, WIN, WM, WMT, WPC, WRI, WTR, WU, XLP, XOM, XRX, YUM, ZTS
  • Why Yield On Cost Is An Important Metric In My Portfolio [View article]
    "Just another reason why YOC is merely a situational feel good metric that in reality is useless!! "

Just because you don't use it, doesn't mean that "in reality is useless!!".
    Apr 26, 2015. 10:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Omega Healthcare Puts The Purr In Performance [View article]
    "No kidding...just saying OHI doesn't appear as great as it has been made up to be...like most other issues."

zgb952, you sound like you don't have the patience to be a long-term investor.
    Apr 26, 2015. 09:29 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Raise Portfolio Income By Selling Overvalued Companies [View article]
    Thank you, Hardog - better late than never! :-)

Robert
    Apr 26, 2015. 09:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Omega Healthcare Puts The Purr In Performance [View article]
    zgb952, do you want to know who is responsible for your loss?

(I'll give you a hint - YOU are.)
    Apr 25, 2015. 11:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Retired Dividend Investors Are Deluded By Yield On Cost [View article]
    George, thanks for saying that.

Anyone interested in my article about this topic can read it here:

Please note the sentence:

"(2) Yield on cost (YOC) is irrelevant" (in the context of deciding what to hold and what to sell)
    Apr 24, 2015. 05:17 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Yield On Cost Is An Important Metric In My Portfolio [View article]
    Andrew, thanks for the quote!

Robert
    Apr 24, 2015. 03:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Yield On Cost Is An Important Metric In My Portfolio [View article]
    "Plenty of investors understand the value of YOC, that's why they don't use it. It holds no value."

Perhaps to you it holds no value.
    Perhaps to other investors it holds much value.

You can't assume all other investors are exactly like you.
    Apr 24, 2015. 03:35 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retired Dividend Investors Are Deluded By Yield On Cost [View article]
    "Did any serious, rational investor ever pay attention to "yield on cost?""

I do.
    The "trick" with YOC is to know what it is, what it means, and how to use it to your advantage.

""Yield on Cost" thinking is little more than financial onanism: giving oneself pleasure with no productive results."

For you, perhaps.
    For me, you are wrong.
    Apr 24, 2015. 03:28 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Skewed Nature Of Dividend Growth Rates [View article]
    "It would have taken LOW ~ 16 years to catch up to the yield of T. A lot can happen in 16 years."

Indeed!

"Great website."

Thank you!

Robert
    Apr 24, 2015. 03:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett And Losing Billions Of Dollars [View article]
    Mike, that's hard for me to do, as I rarely sell.

:-)
    Apr 24, 2015. 09:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 7% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    Kiisu, no need for you to apologize. I was unclear.

I hate it when I am unclear. :-(

Warm regards,

Robert
    Apr 24, 2015. 09:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Purchased Schwab's U.S Dividend Equity ETF As A Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    "using platforms supplied by major investment returns such as fidelity and trowe price clearly indicate using monte carlo simulations that fixed withdrawal rates adjusted for inflation give you probability estimates that you will not run out money based on initial investment and asset allocation"

Whenever any human or any piece of software tells you that, statistically, you have an X% chance of not running out of money through age Y, they are also telling you that you have a (100 - X)% change OF running out of money through age Y.

Do you want to bet your life on what "lies, damn lies, and statistics" tell you?
    Apr 23, 2015. 04:48 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "unless shot by a jealous husband, it is likely we will run low on motion lotion long before we find ourselves looking up at sod."

Rich, that is the best line I've seen at SA in awhile!

Thanks for the laugh!

Robert
    Apr 23, 2015. 04:45 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "For tax purposes I am treated like a US resident regardless of where in the world I live, it seems."

Yes. The US is the only country in the world that taxes you on money you make elsewhere.
    Apr 23, 2015. 04:43 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    TF17, I agree with you that the results depend on the assumptions.
    I agree with you that the results depend on unknowable and unpredictable actions by politicians.
    That's why I prefer to "take the SS and run" as soon as possible, and preserve the growth inside my portfolio for as long as possible.

Robert