Robert Allan Schwartz

View Robert Allan Schwartz's Comments BY TICKER:
AA, AAN, AAPL, ABBV, ABC, ABT, ADM, ADP, AFL, AGD, AGG, AGNC, AJG, AMGN, AMIGF, AMZN, APD, ARCP, ARCT, ARG, AVIV, AVP, AWK, AWR, BA, BAX, BBL, BBY, BCE, BCR, BDJ, BDT, BDX, BEN, BF.B, BGG, BGS, BHP, BIP, BLL, BMR, BMS, BND, BOKF, BP, BRC, BREW, BRK.A, BRK.B, BTI, BUD, CAG, CAH, CAT, CATO, CB, CBRL, CHD, CHEUY, CHRW, CIM, CINF, CL, CLCT, CLX, CM, CMI, CMLP, CMRE, CNI, CNRD, COP, COST, CPB, CR, CSCO, CTL, CVR, CVX, DBD, DE, DEO, DGRS, DGRW, DIA, DIS, DKS, DLR, DLX, DOV, DOW, DPS, DRI, DTN, DVY, DX, EADSF, EBF, ECL, ED, EMR, ENB, ERIE, ESLT, ESV, ETN, EV, EXC, EXR, FAST, FB, FDS, FHCO, FII, FLY, FRD, FRT, FSC, FTR, FUN, GCI, GD, GE, GEF, GEF.B, GIS, GLD, GME, GOOD, GPC, GRMN, GWW, HAS, HCBK, HCLP, HCP, HEINY, HGIC, HHS, HMN, HNZ, HOG, HRL, HRS, HSH, HSY, HT, HTA, HYG, IBM, IDV, INTC, IRM, ITW, IVV, JCI, JCP, JJSF, JNJ, K, KMB, KMI, KMP, KO, KODK, KRFT, LANC, LDR, LECO, LEG, LLY, LMT, LO, LOW, M, MAIN, MAT, MCD, MCHP, MDLZ, MDP, MDT, MET, MHFI, MKC, MMM, MN, MNDO, MNR, MO, MON, MOS, MRK, MSFT, MUR, NEE, NHI, NKE, NLY, NOC, NP, NRP, NSC, NSRGF, NSRGY, NUE, NUS, NVS, NWL, O, OFC, OHI, OKE, ORCL, ORI, OSGB, OXY, PAYX, PBI, PCAR, PEP, PERM, PFE, PFG, PG, PH, PII, PM, PNR, POT, PPG, PPO, PSX, PX, QCOM, RAS, RAVN, RDC, RDS.A, RDS.B, REG, RLI, ROST, RPM, RRD, RSG, RSH, RTN, RY, SAFT, SBUX, SDRL, SDY, SEP, SHW, SJM, SLF, SO, SON, SPLS, SPLV, SPY, STON, STRA, STX, SVU, SWK, SYK, SYY, T, TAL, TAP, TAXI, TBT, TD, TEVA, TGH, TGT, THO, TIP, TIS, TJX, TLT, TMP, TOT, TR, TROW, TRV, TUP, UG, UL, UMH, UN, UNH, UPS, UTX, UVE, UVV, V, VALE, VDIGX, VFC, VGR, VIG, VIVO, VMC, VNRCF, VO, VTR, VYM, VZ, WAG, WDFC, WEN, WFC, WFM, WHR, WIN, WM, WMT, WPC, WRI, WTR, WU, XLP, XOM, XRX, YUM, ZTS
  • Westpac Banking Corporation: A 6.7% Dividend Yield [View article]
    Good article.

Long WBK.
    Sep 4, 2015. 11:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Westpac Banking Corporation: A 6.7% Dividend Yield [View article]
    "Aussie dividends are fully franked so no withholding tax."

Is that true for *all* Australian dividend-paying companies?
    Sep 4, 2015. 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GATX: Not Bad At All [View article]
    "GATX's payout ratio, combined with its earnings growth and uninterrupted dividend since 1919 suggests to us that its dividend is sustainable. And with a P/E of 10 and a current dividend yield of 3.13%, we believe GATX is a bargain for investors."

Perhaps.

Here is GMT's dividend history:

I see 3 freezes and 1 decrease since 2003.

The current yield is 3.13%.
    Sep 4, 2015. 11:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • McGrath RentCorp: There Are Better Dividend Plays Out There [View article]
    There are far too many articles telling me to buy XYZ.

I am delighted to read this article and learn several reasons why NOT to buy XYZ.
    I find such articles to be far more helpful, as they help me avoid making a mistake.

Thank you!

Robert
    Sep 4, 2015. 11:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Book Of The Day – Friday, September 04, 2015 [View instapost]
    I have enjoyed many books by Poundstone. I will look into this one. Thanks for mentioning it!

Robert
    Sep 4, 2015. 11:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Month End Buys [View instapost]
    Pancake, I console myself that (1) I don't collect string, and (2) today I recycled dozens and dozens of glass and plastic containers that have come into my house over the past few years. I decided to hold 2 of each size, in case I need them, and offload the rest. I feel so much lighter now! :-)

Robert
    Sep 4, 2015. 11:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 12 Attractive Fast-Growing Dividend Growth Stocks For High Total Return [View article]
    "we consume and don't save."

When you say "we", to whom do you refer?

I save.
    Do you?
    Sep 4, 2015. 11:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Dividend Growth Stock In The Energy Sector [View article]
    "Do you not understand that SLB doubled its dividend in the last 5 years!"

A company that raises its dividend from 1 cent per share to 2 cents per share can be said to double its dividend, but that won't help me pay my mortgage.

"SLB Grew its dividend over 13%/year in the last 14years."

And yet its current yield is 2.65%, which is below my minimum threshold for a new purchase.

"Also, you want to quote the dividend record from the late 80's and early 90's for SLB, they were a completely different company then and had nowhere near the significant scale they do know."

I would be more interested in hearing about whether or not the company has a culture of rewarding shareholders by giving them their share of the profits earned each quarter.

"If you can not accept the fact that doubling a dividend in 5 years is DIVIDEND GROWTH, and growing 13%+/year for 14 years is DIVIDEND GROWTH."

You're looking at the last 4 years (the last freeze was in 2010).
    I'm looking at the last 40 years.

"Then I can't help you any further."

I don't recall asking you to help me.

This discussion has reached (in fact exceeded) its usefulness. I will allow you to have the last word.

I'm unchecking.
    Sep 4, 2015. 11:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Dividend Growth Stocks For Your Retirement Portfolio's Aggregate Yield 4.3%: Part 2 [View article]
    "You're a man aherd of his time."

Groan!

:-)
    Sep 4, 2015. 11:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 18 Seeking Alpha Contributors And Commentators And Their Picks For Future Dividend Growth [View article]
    maybenot, you made my day!

Thank you!

Have a super weekend,

Robert
    Sep 4, 2015. 11:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Chevron Through The Lens Of Peter Lynch [View article]
    "CVX might have to borrow to pay the dividend."

As far as I know, they already are.
    XOM also.
    Sep 4, 2015. 11:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "It is a great worry for the future of our country."

Peace, the worry will start when all of those people vote to tax you and me, to pay for *their* retirements. :-(
    Sep 4, 2015. 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 2 Keys To The Magic Formula For Long-Term Investment Success [View article]
    "a local, family-owned restaurant chain, Portillos, was acquired by Berkshire earlier this year"

Paul, I'm surprised to learn of that. I thought Buffett was hunting elephants, not mice. :-)
    Sep 4, 2015. 11:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "It is not obvious that evaluating an individual stock is easier than evaluation than in index."

Evaluating an individual stock means evaluating one thing.
    Evaluating an index means evaluating everything in the index.

It seems obvious that the latter is far more work.
    Sep 4, 2015. 11:05 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Bob,

Thank you for including me!
    Thank you for asking such interesting questions!
    Thank you for putting in the time to pull together all the results and write the article!

Well done, and may lots of us benefit from your hard work!

Robert