Robert Allan Schwartz

View Robert Allan Schwartz's Comments BY TICKER:
AA, AAN, AAPL, ABBV, ABC, ABT, ADM, ADP, AFL, AGD, AGG, AGNC, AJG, AMGN, AMIGF, AMZN, APD, ARCP, ARCT, ARG, AVIV, AVP, AWK, AWR, BA, BAX, BBL, BBY, BCE, BCR, BDJ, BDT, BDX, BEN, BF.B, BGG, BGS, BHP, BIP, BLL, BMR, BMS, BND, BOKF, BP, BRC, BREW, BRK.A, BRK.B, BTI, BUD, CAG, CAH, CAT, CATO, CB, CBRL, CHD, CHEUY, CHRW, CIM, CINF, CL, CLCT, CLX, CM, CMI, CMLP, CMRE, CNI, CNRD, COP, COST, CPB, CR, CSCO, CTL, CVR, CVX, DBD, DE, DEO, DGRS, DGRW, DIA, DIS, DKS, DLR, DLX, DOV, DOW, DPS, DRI, DTN, DVY, DX, EADSF, EBF, ECL, ED, EMR, ENB, ERIE, ESLT, ESV, ETN, EV, EXC, EXR, FAST, FB, FDS, FHCO, FII, FLY, FRD, FRT, FSC, FTR, FUN, GCI, GD, GE, GEF, GEF.B, GIS, GLD, GME, GOOD, GPC, GRMN, GWW, HAS, HCBK, HCLP, HCP, HEINY, HGIC, HHS, HMN, HNZ, HOG, HRL, HRS, HSH, HSY, HT, HTA, HYG, IBM, IDV, INTC, IRM, ITW, IVV, JCI, JCP, JJSF, JNJ, K, KMB, KMI, KMP, KO, KODK, KRFT, LANC, LDR, LECO, LEG, LLY, LMT, LO, LOW, M, MAIN, MAT, MCD, MCHP, MDLZ, MDP, MDT, MET, MHFI, MKC, MMM, MN, MNDO, MNR, MO, MON, MOS, MRK, MSFT, MUR, NEE, NHI, NKE, NLY, NOC, NP, NRP, NSC, NSRGF, NSRGY, NUE, NUS, NVS, NWL, O, OFC, OHI, OKE, ORCL, ORI, OSGB, OXY, PAYX, PBI, PCAR, PEP, PERM, PFE, PFG, PG, PH, PII, PM, PNR, POT, PPG, PPO, PSX, PX, QCOM, RAS, RAVN, RDC, RDS.A, RDS.B, REG, RLI, ROST, RPM, RRD, RSG, RSH, RTN, RY, SAFT, SBUX, SDRL, SDY, SEP, SHW, SJM, SLF, SO, SON, SPLS, SPLV, SPY, STON, STRA, STX, SVU, SWK, SYK, SYY, T, TAL, TAP, TAXI, TBT, TD, TEVA, TGH, TGT, THO, TIP, TIS, TJX, TLT, TMP, TOT, TR, TROW, TRV, TUP, UG, UL, UMH, UN, UNH, UPS, UTX, UVE, UVV, V, VALE, VDIGX, VFC, VGR, VIG, VIVO, VMC, VNRCF, VO, VTR, VYM, VZ, WAG, WDFC, WEN, WFC, WFM, WHR, WIN, WM, WMT, WPC, WRI, WTR, WU, XLP, XOM, XRX, YUM, ZTS
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    "Speaking of MCD, I think that we sometimes forget that they only operate 20% of their restaurants. MCD owns the properties and franchises the business out to others."

And I read recently that they want to reduce that to 10% of their restaurants.
    May 26, 2015. 11:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    "Economists say lots of things... very little of which means anything."

You remind me of (I think it was) Eisenhower who said he wanted a one-armed economist, because he was tired of hearing economists say, "But on the other hand ...".

:-)
    May 26, 2015. 11:47 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stress Test For Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    "I see it is in Fastgraphs. I should have known better......"

I use FAST Graphs. I am a very satisfied customer. Chuck gives outstanding customer service.

Robert
    May 26, 2015. 07:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    "Dogfish"

I like all of their beers, especially the 60-, 90-, and 120-minute IPA's.
    May 26, 2015. 07:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    "I will opine that the Belgian beers are the best"
    "Belgian beers have the reputation of being the best."

I agree.

"I have never had a Heineken as good as the ones I drank in Amsterdam."

I had one at the brewery itself. It was heavenly.

I was a homebrewer for many years. I brewed all the beer that I served at my own wedding.

Robert
    May 26, 2015. 07:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    "I'm officially over the hill now."

You just turned 30?

:-)
    May 26, 2015. 07:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Learning From The Masters: Q&A Session With Chowder [View article]
    Joni, I've heard many audiophiles say they can hear the difference between vinyl and other. I never could.
    May 25, 2015. 02:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stress Test For Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    "The sad stories by some commentators about having experienced dividend cuts make me weep. I can only repeat: Don't look for rising dividends. Look for steadily rising revenues instead. No revenue increases = no dividend increases."

That last sentence is right in theory but not as right in practice.
    Many dividend growth companies have flat or decreasing revenues for a year or two, yet they continue to raise their dividends. This is true for virtually all Dividend Champions.
    I think Chowder looks for "rising earnings in 7 out of the previous 10 years", so he allows for 3 years of flat or falling earnings.
    May 25, 2015. 01:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stress Test For Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    "I will re-read it as you clearly have a different point of view, since you plan to take SS at age 62. I'm currently reading "Get What's Yours: The Secrets to Maxing Out Your Social Security""

DH, you're right, I do have a different point of view. I'm not trying to max out how much SS I receive; I want to retire as soon as I can.
    May 25, 2015. 01:51 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should I Have Followed My Advisor's Advice ? A Look At 4 Year Performance [View article]
    "Sure, if you're in the itty bitty minority of people who should never rebalance, god bless you. Can't believe that out of everything I wrote, that's what you nitpick at. Talk about silly..."

Now there's a mature, well-thought-out, helpful, positive, constructive, useful comment that will help loads of investors achieve their investing goals.
    May 23, 2015. 04:41 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stress Test For Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    DH, I can't speak for David, but I wrote an article about that:

May 23, 2015. 04:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retired Dividend Investors Are Deluded By Yield On Cost [View article]
    "I've decreased my net worth by $3.50 to pick up a $.29 increase in dividends."

No, you're conflating unrealized capital gains/losses with real cash in your pocket. The two are not commensurate.
    May 23, 2015. 04:38 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "it is still the case that from time to time everyone should sell some things and buy others to rebalance the portfolio. Even in an entirely DGI portfolio, this should be the case"

You're putting a "should" on ALL investors.
    There is no one thing that ALL investors "should" do.
    Everyone has different investing goals, different strategies, different tactics, and different investments.
    May 23, 2015. 02:24 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing Requires Perseverance [View article]
    Ron, we could have passed each other and not known it.

Robert
    May 23, 2015. 02:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Learning From The Masters: Q&A Session With Buyandhold 2012 [View article]
    "it is good to at least look for data to back up some of what I might call "incredible" claims. Unfortunately B&H has not written a single article or instaBlog from what I can tell, so there is not much actual data that could be fact checked and it does not appear he has done any factual checking of the data either"

FinancialDave, this is the internet. There is no way to verify anything that appears on it. Not for Buyandhold2012, and not for you. And even if he has written articles and/or instablogs, there would still be no way to verify his portfolio, or yours.
    May 23, 2015. 02:20 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment