Robert Allan Schwartz

View Robert Allan Schwartz's Comments BY TICKER:
AA, AAN, AAPL, ABBV, ABC, ABT, ADM, ADP, AFL, AGD, AGG, AGNC, AJG, AMGN, AMIGF, AMZN, APD, ARCP, ARCT, ARG, AVIV, AVP, AWK, AWR, BA, BAX, BBL, BBY, BCE, BCR, BDJ, BDT, BDX, BEN, BF.B, BGG, BGS, BHP, BIP, BLL, BMR, BMS, BND, BOKF, BP, BRC, BREW, BRK.A, BRK.B, BTI, BUD, CAG, CAH, CAT, CATO, CB, CBRL, CHD, CHEUY, CHRW, CIM, CINF, CL, CLCT, CLX, CM, CMI, CMLP, CMRE, CNI, CNRD, COP, COST, CPB, CR, CSCO, CTL, CVR, CVX, DBD, DE, DEO, DGRS, DGRW, DIA, DIS, DKS, DLR, DLX, DOV, DOW, DPS, DRI, DTN, DVY, DX, EADSF, EBF, ECL, ED, EMR, ENB, ERIE, ESLT, ESV, ETN, EV, EXC, EXR, FAST, FB, FDS, FHCO, FII, FLY, FRD, FRT, FSC, FTR, FUN, GCI, GD, GE, GEF, GEF.B, GIS, GLD, GME, GOOD, GPC, GRMN, GWW, HAS, HCBK, HCLP, HCP, HEINY, HGIC, HHS, HMN, HNZ, HOG, HRL, HRS, HSH, HSY, HT, HTA, HYG, IBM, IDV, INTC, IRM, ITW, IVV, JCI, JCP, JJSF, JNJ, K, KMB, KMI, KMP, KO, KODK, KRFT, LANC, LDR, LECO, LEG, LLY, LMT, LO, LOW, M, MAIN, MAT, MCD, MCHP, MDLZ, MDP, MDT, MET, MHFI, MKC, MMM, MN, MNDO, MNR, MO, MON, MOS, MRK, MSFT, MUR, NEE, NHI, NKE, NLY, NOC, NP, NRP, NSC, NSRGF, NSRGY, NUE, NUS, NVS, NWL, O, OFC, OHI, OKE, ORCL, ORI, OSGB, OXY, PAYX, PBI, PCAR, PEP, PERM, PFE, PFG, PG, PH, PII, PM, PNR, POT, PPG, PPO, PSX, PX, QCOM, RAS, RAVN, RDC, RDS.A, RDS.B, REG, RLI, ROST, RPM, RRD, RSG, RSH, RTN, RY, SAFT, SBUX, SDRL, SDY, SEP, SHW, SJM, SLF, SO, SON, SPLS, SPLV, SPY, STON, STRA, STX, SVU, SWK, SYK, SYY, T, TAL, TAP, TAXI, TBT, TD, TEVA, TGH, TGT, THO, TIP, TIS, TJX, TLT, TMP, TOT, TR, TROW, TRV, TUP, UG, UL, UMH, UN, UNH, UPS, UTX, UVE, UVV, V, VALE, VDIGX, VFC, VGR, VIG, VIVO, VMC, VNRCF, VO, VTR, VYM, VZ, WAG, WDFC, WEN, WFC, WFM, WHR, WIN, WM, WMT, WPC, WRI, WTR, WU, XLP, XOM, XRX, YUM, ZTS
  • High Dividend Payout Will Sustain For FLY Leasing [View article]
    "FLY has a dividend payout of $1 per share and a current dividend yield of 7.2%, which is likely to sustain in the coming years."

"I mentioned at the outset that FLY's dividend payout is sustainable. The first reason for believing that the payout will sustain is its current lease term of 4.9 years. The remaining lease term ensures that the company's revenue and cash flow remain stable in the coming years. This will keep the dividend stable as well."

Perhaps.

Here is FLY's dividend history:

On Feb 4, 2009 the dividend was cut from 50 cents to 20 cents.
    The dividend was frozen for 14 quarters.
    Then the dividend was raised to 22 cents, and frozen for 6 quarters.

I invest for dividend GROWTH, and I don't see FLY doing that for me in the past or in the future. :-(
    Dec 26, 2014. 01:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T And 'Losing' To Inflation [View article]
    "The dividend is an illusion."

So all those dividend dollars showing up in my account are an illusion?
    So all those shares I bought by reinvesting dividends are an illusion?
    Dec 26, 2014. 12:57 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T And 'Losing' To Inflation [View article]
    Eli, I absolutely agree with you that a lower-dividend-growth company can beat inflation:

Dec 25, 2014. 06:30 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Difference Between Coca-Cola And Anheuser-Busch [View article]
    George, thank you for saying that. Of course, when I sold it, I had no idea it would continue to go up from there.

Happy Holidays, and good investing to you!

Robert
    Dec 25, 2014. 02:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Difference Between Coca-Cola And Anheuser-Busch [View article]
    "craft beers are on an incredible roll right now"

I bought SAM for $15/share at its IPO.
    I sold it for $45 a few years later, thinking I was a genius.
    SAM now sells for $292.15/share.
    I'm definitely not a genius. :-(
    Dec 25, 2014. 01:27 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MetLife Doesn't Seem To Have A Pulse Right Now [View article]
    You didn't mention that in early September, the Financial Stability Oversight Council designated MetLife as "systemically important" (see the Wall Street Journal article titled "MetLife's Too-Big-to-Fail Fight" on 9/7/2014).
    Dec 25, 2014. 10:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Paychex: A Well-Managed Outsourcing Company With A Steady Dividend [View article]
    "The company has paid a steady, growing dividend since 1989."

FAST Graphs shows that there were no dividend increases in either 2010 or 2011, a 2% increase in 2012, and a 3% increase in 2013.

The payout ratio has been 82% or more for the past 6 years.

I wish I could buy PAYX, but with a P/E of over 26, there are (as richjoy would say) many other tasty fish in the sea (with similar or higher current yields).
    Dec 25, 2014. 10:54 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Official: Zoetis Belongs In Your Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    Ruralist, I appreciate your bringing Zoetis to my attention. Once it meets my purchase requirements, I will investigate it further.

Thanks,

Robert
    Dec 25, 2014. 10:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Values Of Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    "I guarantee that if I pick out 20 dividend champions and you pick out 20 non-dividend paying growth stocks, in 20 years my portfolio will outperform yours."

Six, that depends on what you mean by "outperform":

income performance
    unrealized capital gain performance
    realized capital gain performance
    unrealized total return (income + unrealized capital gain)
    realized total return (income + realized capital gain)
    Dec 23, 2014. 06:15 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    FAST Graphs reports for ZTS:

P/E of 28.4
    Dividend yield of 0.7%
    Dividend history since Apr 29, 2013

ZTS is not yet ready to "belong in my dividend growth portfolio".
    Dec 23, 2014. 05:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • General Mills: The Quintessential Tortoise Stock [View article]
    "Lodi city fathers were not even consulted about the decision"

Since when do businesses need the approval of "city fathers" to run their businesses the way they choose to?
    Dec 23, 2014. 05:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My 10 Stocks For A Young Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    "Some Treasuries are paying double that. And a CD will pay 1%."

Perhaps, but they offer zero possibility of capital gain.
    Dec 23, 2014. 05:26 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Early Retiree Portfolio For 2015 [View article]
    "this is an old discussion"

Yes, it is.
    I continue to disagree with you, but I will not post further comments, as it would serve no point.

Robert
    Dec 23, 2014. 05:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    "No cash award, just recognition by his peers."

I recognize him.
    His picture is in his profile.
    :-)
    Dec 22, 2014. 04:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It's New! It's Nifty! It's The Dividend Growth 50! [View article]
    "On the bright side, now you are eligible for a Nobel Prize."

True, but Mike, be prepared to be criticized by all the anti-DGI folk.
    No matter what you did (or didn't) do, they will find a way to be negative.

Congratulations and thanks for taking on this experiment!

Robert