Robert Allan Schwartz

View Robert Allan Schwartz's Comments BY TICKER:
AA, AAN, AAPL, ABBV, ABC, ABT, ADM, ADP, AFL, AGD, AGG, AGNC, AJG, AMGN, AMIGF, AMZN, APD, ARCP, ARCT, ARG, AVIV, AVP, AWK, AWR, BA, BAX, BBL, BBY, BCE, BCR, BDJ, BDT, BDX, BEN, BF.B, BGG, BGS, BHP, BIP, BLL, BMR, BMS, BND, BOKF, BP, BRC, BREW, BRK.A, BRK.B, BTI, BUD, CAG, CAH, CAT, CATO, CB, CBRL, CHD, CHEUY, CHRW, CIM, CINF, CL, CLCT, CLX, CM, CMI, CMLP, CMRE, CNI, CNRD, COP, COST, CPB, CR, CSCO, CTL, CVR, CVX, DBD, DE, DEO, DGRS, DGRW, DIA, DIS, DKS, DLR, DLX, DOV, DOW, DPS, DRI, DTN, DVY, DX, EADSF, EBF, ECL, ED, EMR, ENB, ERIE, ESLT, ESV, ETN, EV, EXC, EXR, FAST, FB, FDS, FHCO, FII, FLY, FRD, FRT, FSC, FTR, FUN, GCI, GD, GE, GEF, GEF.B, GIS, GLD, GME, GOOD, GPC, GRMN, GWW, HAS, HCBK, HCLP, HCP, HEINY, HGIC, HHS, HMN, HNZ, HOG, HRL, HRS, HSH, HSY, HT, HTA, HYG, IBM, IDV, INTC, IRM, ITW, IVV, JCI, JCP, JJSF, JNJ, K, KMB, KMI, KMP, KO, KODK, KRFT, LANC, LDR, LECO, LEG, LLY, LMT, LO, LOW, M, MAIN, MAT, MCD, MCHP, MDLZ, MDP, MDT, MET, MHFI, MKC, MMM, MN, MNDO, MNR, MO, MON, MOS, MRK, MSFT, MUR, NEE, NHI, NKE, NLY, NOC, NP, NRP, NSC, NSRGF, NSRGY, NUE, NUS, NVS, NWL, O, OFC, OHI, OKE, ORCL, ORI, OSGB, OXY, PAYX, PBI, PCAR, PEP, PERM, PFE, PFG, PG, PH, PII, PM, PNR, POT, PPG, PPO, PSX, PX, QCOM, RAS, RAVN, RDC, RDS.A, RDS.B, REG, RLI, ROST, RPM, RRD, RSG, RSH, RTN, RY, SAFT, SBUX, SDRL, SDY, SEP, SHW, SJM, SLF, SO, SON, SPLS, SPLV, SPY, STON, STRA, STX, SVU, SWK, SYK, SYY, T, TAL, TAP, TAXI, TBT, TD, TEVA, TGH, TGT, THO, TIP, TIS, TJX, TLT, TMP, TOT, TR, TROW, TRV, TUP, UG, UL, UMH, UN, UNH, UPS, UTX, UVE, UVV, V, VALE, VDIGX, VFC, VGR, VIG, VIVO, VMC, VNRCF, VO, VTR, VYM, VZ, WAG, WDFC, WEN, WFC, WFM, WHR, WIN, WM, WMT, WPC, WRI, WTR, WU, XLP, XOM, XRX, YUM, ZTS
  • Johnson & Johnson: The Benefit Of A Stagnant Share Price [View article]
    "In the short term though, why not have both?"

In the long term, too.

Long JNJ and T.
    Mar 1, 2015. 04:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The 'Income Bubble' End As Badly As The Tech Bubble? [View article]
    Yes, he's living happily ever after. :-)
    Feb 28, 2015. 08:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Waste Management: Looking For Dividend Growth? Look Elsewhere [View article]
    "instead of getting 4 cents more in dividend you get that in share price."

To reap the 4 cents in dividends, you keep your shares.
    To reap the 4 cents in share price, you sell your shares.
    Feb 28, 2015. 08:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Surviving The Tax Bite In Retirement [View article]
    FD, here's what I wanted you to read:

"Some IRA owners simply use assets from the IRA to pay the taxes on the conversion. This may be the only option if you have no other resources, but a large deduction can also severely set back your IRA's potential growth." Using the IRA to pay the taxes defeats the purpose of conversion," McBride says. "The whole idea of converting to a Roth is to turbocharge your future returns because you don't have to worry about taxes."

Most financial experts advise against using assets from the IRA to pay the taxes, as it can take years to replenish those funds. "Depending on your age, it would be unlikely that you or your heirs would recoup assets from the IRA if you use them to pay the taxes," says Marcia Mantell, owner of Mantell Retirement Consulting in Needham, Mass. "If you are under age 59½, you'll lose another 10 percent of the IRA money (that portion used for taxes) to an early withdrawal penalty. While that doesn't sound like much, it is a significant amount to have to rebuild in your account."
    Feb 28, 2015. 05:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Travelers' Shareholder Yield Is Compelling [View article]
    "ORI is one that might interest some of you. Reliable dividend payer... "

Yes, but look at the FAST Graphs chart, especially between 2008 and 2012. :-(
    Feb 28, 2015. 05:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Roth Advantage No One Talks About [View article]
    "Eventually there comes a day when your cash reserves go to zero and you need to eat, then you look around for things to sell, and you have none!"

FD, you forget that I am a dividend growth investor.
    I receive a growing stream of income thanks to my dividends.
    Even if my "cash reserves go to zero", they will not be zero for long, as I have 37 dividend companies each paying me 4 times a year, so I can look forward to the next dividend payment (out of 148) coming within the next few days. My plan is to never be forced to sell an asset in order to produce cash.

"This is a very poor attitude to take towards investments."

I disagree.

"Someday, I hope you understand that someone will be left with those worthless investments that you are hoarding!"

Worthless? My portfolio is worth more today than ever.
    Feb 28, 2015. 05:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Emerson Electric Returns 7% Per Year For Long-Term Dividend Investors, Despite Low Oil Prices [View article]
    "you have the comittment of the management to buy back shares to a certain amount."

Perhaps. Not every buyback program that is announced, is executed, and those that are executed, might not be executed for all of the specified number of shares.
    Feb 28, 2015. 05:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Over Think It, Buy Johnson & Johnson [View article]
    "Chicago has sued Johnson & Johnson, Actavis and three other drug companies"

I'd love to see residents of Illinois suing the politicians.
    Feb 27, 2015. 02:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investors: I Have A Few Questions [View article]
    ScottU, you are correct, the beauty of the certificates often motivated new investors, especially young investors.
    Feb 27, 2015. 12:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investors: I Have A Few Questions [View article]
    Silverbug2, congratulations on having the right approach, and the right point-of-view!

Robert
    Feb 27, 2015. 11:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Roth Advantage No One Talks About [View article]
    "That may have simply had to do with his (state) licensing status(?)"

Had the person I spoke to, said that, I would have understood. :-(
    Feb 27, 2015. 11:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investors: I Have A Few Questions [View article]
    Paul, I went to:

They said it was worthless.
    But you might be right, an individual collector might find it to be of worth to them.

Robert
    Feb 27, 2015. 10:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investors: I Have A Few Questions [View article]
    "even though we no longer can display nicely engraved certificates on the wall."

Actually, Paul, I do have one old stock certificate, from a company where I worked in 1977, that is long out of business. I tried to sell it, but the company I contacted said it was worthless.
    Feb 27, 2015. 09:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Vanguard Wellesley Income The Only Retirement Fund You Need? [View article]
    Author, I searched the article for the words "dividend" and "income", and didn't find them.

If I were only going to own one asset for my retirement, I would very much want to know how many dividends and how much income it would provide for me.
    Feb 27, 2015. 08:47 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BHP Billiton: Attractive And Sustainable Dividend [View article]
    Yahoo! Finance shows BBL's current yield as 2.40%.

It was over 4% yesterday.

I'm guessing this comes from BBL's recent semi-annual dividend payment, the "interim" payment, which Yahoo! Finance does not annualize properly.

Anyone else know more about this than I do?

Robert