Robert Allan Schwartz

View Robert Allan Schwartz's Comments BY TICKER:
AA, AAN, AAPL, ABBV, ABC, ABT, ADM, ADP, AFL, AGD, AGG, AGNC, AJG, AMGN, AMIGF, AMZN, APD, ARCP, ARCT, ARG, AVIV, AVP, AWK, AWR, BA, BAX, BBL, BBY, BCE, BCR, BDJ, BDT, BDX, BEN, BF.B, BGG, BGS, BHP, BIP, BLL, BMR, BMS, BND, BOKF, BP, BRC, BREW, BRK.A, BRK.B, BTI, BUD, CAG, CAH, CAT, CATO, CB, CBRL, CHD, CHEUY, CHRW, CIM, CINF, CL, CLCT, CLX, CM, CMI, CMLP, CMRE, CNI, CNRD, COP, COST, CPB, CR, CSCO, CTL, CVR, CVX, DBD, DE, DEO, DGRS, DGRW, DIA, DIS, DKS, DLR, DLX, DOV, DOW, DPS, DRI, DTN, DVY, DX, EADSF, EBF, ECL, ED, EMR, ENB, ERIE, ESLT, ESV, ETN, EV, EXC, EXR, FAST, FB, FDS, FHCO, FII, FLY, FRD, FRT, FSC, FTR, FUN, GCI, GD, GE, GEF, GEF.B, GIS, GLD, GME, GOOD, GPC, GRMN, GWW, HAS, HCBK, HCLP, HCP, HEINY, HGIC, HHS, HMN, HNZ, HOG, HRL, HRS, HSH, HSY, HT, HTA, HYG, IBM, IDV, INTC, IRM, ITW, IVV, JCI, JCP, JJSF, JNJ, K, KMB, KMI, KMP, KO, KODK, KRFT, LANC, LDR, LECO, LEG, LLY, LMT, LO, LOW, M, MAIN, MAT, MCD, MCHP, MDLZ, MDP, MDT, MET, MHFI, MKC, MMM, MN, MNDO, MNR, MO, MON, MOS, MRK, MSFT, MUR, NEE, NHI, NKE, NLY, NOC, NP, NRP, NSC, NSRGF, NSRGY, NUE, NUS, NVS, NWL, O, OFC, OHI, OKE, ORCL, ORI, OSGB, OXY, PAYX, PBI, PCAR, PEP, PERM, PFE, PFG, PG, PH, PII, PM, PNR, POT, PPG, PPO, PSX, PX, QCOM, RAS, RAVN, RDC, RDS.A, RDS.B, REG, RLI, ROST, RPM, RRD, RSG, RSH, RTN, RY, SAFT, SBUX, SDRL, SDY, SEP, SHW, SJM, SLF, SO, SON, SPLS, SPLV, SPY, STON, STRA, STX, SVU, SWK, SYK, SYY, T, TAL, TAP, TAXI, TBT, TD, TEVA, TGH, TGT, THO, TIP, TIS, TJX, TLT, TMP, TOT, TR, TROW, TRV, TUP, UG, UL, UMH, UN, UNH, UPS, UTX, UVE, UVV, V, VALE, VDIGX, VFC, VGR, VIG, VIVO, VMC, VNRCF, VO, VTR, VYM, VZ, WAG, WDFC, WEN, WFC, WFM, WHR, WIN, WM, WMT, WPC, WRI, WTR, WU, XLP, XOM, XRX, YUM, ZTS
  • IBM Spends $70 Billion To Retire $45 Billion Worth Of Shares [View article]
    "it reduces by 20% the dollar amount it pays out to shareholders in the form of dividends."

And how would that be good for me as a shareholder?

"Alternatively, it could raise its dividend rate by 25% and pay out the same dollar amount in dividends."

It "could".
    Can you identify any occasions when this has actually happened?
    Mar 28, 2015. 06:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM Spends $70 Billion To Retire $45 Billion Worth Of Shares [View article]
    "Do you really believe IBM would have been able to grow its dividend at the same rate over the past 5 years if it had 20% more shares outstanding?"

I don't know, but even if you're right, one data point is hardly proof of a theory.
    Mar 28, 2015. 03:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 55 Companies Cut Their Dividends So Far In 2015 And I Still SWAN (Sleep Well At Night) [View instapost]
    Thanks for that information, rhiannion!

Robert
    Mar 27, 2015. 01:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Spends $1.97 To Retire $1 Worth Of Stock [View article]
    "Actually, no, it doesn't.
    Tech companies have been tracking and studying data on workforce productivity for years now. The evidence is overwhelming that hiring and keeping the best people has a huge impact on company performance. That's why employee hiring, screening, training and retention programs have become so sophisticated -- and why other industries are rapidly adopting and prioritizing them as well."

You might be right. I am no expert on such programs.
    I teach advanced computer programming at dozens of different companies every year. Over the 22 years that I have been doing this, I have seen the proportion of Millenials (especially from India and China) growing every year, until nowadays that's 99% of who shows up in my classroom. I observe that they rarely participate or speak in class, even if I ask them questions. They don't ask questions. They are almost always head-down into the computer screen, unless they are using their smart phone. They don't bring pens to class. They don't write anything down. They are late to class almost every morning.
    Companies might think these folks are the best thing since sliced bread, but I am glad I am self-employed with no employees, because I would never hire anyone like that to work for me.
    Mar 27, 2015. 12:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Get U.S. Dividends From Canadian Dividend Stocks [View article]
    "the US system of med if you can pay for it is an abomination."

Perhaps to you, but not to me.
    The US "system" is "you can have whatever you want, if you pay for it". That applies to everything, not just medicine.

"In terms of dollars involved, probably the most corrupt, insider dealing, rent seeking scheme in world history."

No, that would be a description of the US federal government, not the medicine industry.

"The common view of the average citizen of every advanced nation on earth is that the US is living in the medical dark ages."

I doubt you are qualified or entitled to speak to the "common view" of all of those individuals.
    Mar 27, 2015. 12:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM Spends $70 Billion To Retire $45 Billion Worth Of Shares [View article]
    Stockinvestor81, thanks for trying to explain it to me, but it still seems to me that such explanations care only about the price of a share of stock.

I am not a capital gain investor.
    I am an income investor.
    I am a dividend growth investor.
    Share buybacks do not lead to dividend growth, or income, so I do not find them suitable investments for me, as they will not help me achieve my investing goals.
    Mar 27, 2015. 12:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM Spends $70 Billion To Retire $45 Billion Worth Of Shares [View article]
    "Outperforming the S&P 500 on a risk-adjusted basis is the only "metric" that really defines a successful investment."

That might be true for you, but that is not true for me.
    My metric for success is "generates enough income to pay for my retirement".
    Mar 27, 2015. 12:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Spends $1.97 To Retire $1 Worth Of Stock [View article]
    Goalkick9, I've read similar things about companies that employ Millenials.
    Companies appear to be extremely eager to hire Millenials.
    It remains to be seen if they produce enough value to have been worth paying the price for them.
    Mar 27, 2015. 11:38 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Dividend Investors Could Withdraw More Than 4% Of Their Portfolio [View article]
    "I have a problem with people saying that their portfolio value isn't "real." It is just as "real" as the money sitting in your bank account."

No, it isn't.
    There is a huge difference between owning a share of stock that someone is wiling to pay me $50 for if I sell right now, and $50 cash in the bank.

"How is this a difficult concept to understand?"

It is apparently a very difficult concept for you to understand.

"by all means engage in self delusion. But understand that it is self-delusion."

As I said above, do you have something more substantive to offer than pejorative adjectives?
    Mar 27, 2015. 11:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Tradevestor, you are correct, and thank you. That cut happened between when I wrote the instablog, and when it got published.

Robert
    Mar 27, 2015. 11:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Financial Freedom 50 [View article]
    "Isn't there are saying, "It's not the hand you're dealt, it's the way you play it"? During the fall I went through a period of grief at what felt like many losses around me. Our sweet little dog even died! Though we had decided to sell the house this summer (the circumstances bumped up the timing) there was a process of giving up my cute house, gardening, my big beautiful kitchen, etc. The health issues meant giving up the future I had imagined. This has not been an easy transition that way, or with the huge amount of work that has rested on my shoulders. However, I am now at a place of thankfulness and happily settling in. The little 15yo dog would probably not have coped with this transition and I wouldn't want to put her through that. So even that was a blessing in disguise. Life isn't what I thought it would be, but that doesn't mean it can't be a great hand too! The grieving process is over and I am excited at the endless possibilities for the future."

Faye, I admire you for your ability to overcome what life threw at you. You are able to turn lemons into lemonade. I wish you great success going forward!

Robert
    Mar 27, 2015. 10:43 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "Robert's approach is to plan to never sell, funding income needs from the (more predictable) dividend stream."

Close. My plan is to never be FORCED to sell.
    I have no problem with people who CHOOSE to sell, perhaps to fund a vacation, or a college education for a child or grandchild.
    Mar 27, 2015. 10:40 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Spends $1.97 To Retire $1 Worth Of Stock [View article]
    "What you call "ridiculous over compensation" is one of the primary reasons Cisco appears annually on Fortune's list of 100 best companies to work for (#70 this year) and has an exceptionally high employee retention rate, which is a top priority in today's red-hot tech employment arena. Cisco must compete every day to keep its best and brightest from moving on to "cooler" companies just around the corner like Google, Apple and Twitter, and I'd say reducing equity compensation would be a really good way to trigger an exodus of experienced people. That would cost Cisco dearly, not only in terms of irreplaceable brain power but also in increased recruiting and training expenses. And, of course, in the higher salaries you mention."

You might be right that a company needs to pay its people more in order to retain them.
    However, if those people don't produce enough "extra" to (more than) compensate for the "extra" that they consume, then it is a bad deal for shareholders.
    Mar 27, 2015. 10:30 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "This is so ridiculous that I'm not going to respond to it any longer."
    "i still see this nonsense all the time around here."

Calling something "ridiculous" doesn't make it ridiculous.
    Calling something "nonsense" doesn't make it nonsense.
    Instead of using labels, adjectives, and pejoratives, how about if you offer something substantive?
    Mar 27, 2015. 10:25 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM Spends $70 Billion To Retire $45 Billion Worth Of Shares [View article]
    "wildly successful buyback programs"

How do you define/recognize a "wildly successful" buyback program?
    Via which metrics?