Robert Allan Schwartz

View Robert Allan Schwartz's Comments BY TICKER:
AA, AAPL, ABBV, ABC, ABT, ADM, ADP, AFL, AGD, AGG, AGNC, AJG, AMGN, AMIGF, AMZN, APD, ARCP, ARCT, AVP, AWK, AWR, BA, BAX, BBY, BCE, BCR, BDJ, BDT, BDX, BF.B, BGG, BGS, BHP, BIP, BLL, BMR, BMS, BND, BP, BRC, BREW, BRK.A, BRK.B, BTI, BUD, CAG, CAH, CAT, CATO, CB, CBRL, CHD, CHEUY, CHRW, CIM, CL, CLCT, CLX, CM, CMI, CMLP, CMRE, CNI, CNRD, COP, COST, CPB, CR, CSCO, CTL, CVR, CVX, DBD, DE, DEO, DGRS, DGRW, DIA, DIS, DKS, DLR, DLX, DOV, DOW, DPS, DRI, DTN, DVY, DX, EADSF, EBF, ECL, ED, EMR, ENB, ERIE, ESLT, ESV, ETN, EV, EXC, EXR, FAST, FB, FDS, FHCO, FII, FLY, FRD, FRT, FSC, FTR, FUN, GCI, GD, GE, GEF, GEF.B, GIS, GLD, GME, GOOD, GPC, GRMN, HAS, HCBK, HCLP, HCP, HEINY, HGIC, HMN, HNZ, HOG, HRS, HSH, HSY, HT, HTA, HYG, IBM, IDV, INTC, IRM, ITW, IVV, JCI, JCP, JJSF, JNJ, K, KMB, KMI, KMP, KO, KODK, KRFT, LANC, LDR, LECO, LEG, LLY, LMT, LO, LOW, M, MAIN, MAT, MCD, MCHP, MDLZ, MDP, MDT, MET, MHFI, MKC, MMM, MN, MNDO, MNR, MO, MON, MOS, MRK, MSFT, MUR, NEE, NHI, NKE, NLY, NP, NRP, NSC, NSRGY, NUE, NUS, NVS, O, OFC, OHI, OKE, ORCL, ORI, OSGIQ, OXY, PAYX, PBI, PCAR, PEP, PERM, PFE, PFG, PG, PH, PII, PM, PPG, PPO, PSX, PX, QCOM, RAS, RAVN, RDC, RDS.A, RDS.B, REG, RLI, ROST, RPM, RRD, RSG, RSH, RTN, RY, SBUX, SDY, SEP, SHW, SJM, SLF, SO, SON, SPLS, SPLV, SPY, STON, STRA, STX, SVU, SWK, SYK, SYY, T, TAL, TAP, TAXI, TBT, TD, TEVA, TGH, TGT, THO, TIP, TIS, TJX, TLT, TMP, TOT, TR, TROW, TRV, TUP, UG, UL, UMH, UN, UNH, UTX, UVE, UVV, V, VALE, VFC, VIG, VIVO, VMC, VNRCF, VO, VTR, VYM, VZ, WAG, WDFC, WEN, WFC, WFM, WHR, WIN, WM, WMT, WRI, WTR, WU, XLP, XOM, XRX, YUM
  • Dividend Strategies Underperform In 2012 [View article]
    This author uses the term "underperformed" without explaining it.

This author apparently means "price performance" only.

I am a dividend growth investor. 100% of my dividend growth companies raised their dividend in 2012. As far as I am concerned, they "performed" beautifully!
    Jan 1 10:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stocks Struggle In 2012 [View article]
    "Maybe they have a different metric than share price appreciation"

Absolutely.

All of my dividend growth companies raised their dividends in 2012, so as far as I am concerned, they have "performed" beautifully.

The authors of this article looked only at "price performance", and ignored "income performance".
    Jan 1 10:11 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why You Should Reject The Microsoft Dead Money Argument [View article]
    "That's about a 33.4% total return since 2000"

A 33.4% total return over 12 years is less than 3% per year. I sure hope that my dividend growth companies do better than that! :-)
    Jan 1 09:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Investors Should Get Ready To Load Up [View article]
    They certainly don't say "Thank you" when they tax me. :-(
    Jan 1 09:45 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Investors Should Get Ready To Load Up [View article]
    "the Socialistic programs in your own local community, such as fire department, police department, public works, public schools?"

It is worth distinguishing between things that the private sector should be doing (fire protection, education) and things that the government should be doing (police).

Not everything is "Socialistic".
    Jan 1 09:44 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Investors Should Get Ready To Load Up [View article]
    "And a rate that is a little higher on the rest isn't going to curtail anyone from trying to earn more money."

There is a theory that says that no matter how high the tax rates get, even up to 99%, you still have an incentive to work, because the 1% you keep is better than nothing.

This is clear proof that "the difference between theory and practice is greater in practice than it is in theory". :-)
    Dec 31 03:28 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Yield On Cost Really Important To Dividend Investors? [View article]
    Perhaps, but as someone who is planning for his retirement, I consider income to be something I can consume/spend, such as dividends. I cannot consume/spend additional shares of stock, as produced by KMR; I would have to sell the shares in order to produce cash, and in a falling market, I would not want to depend on asset sales to fund my retirement.
    Dec 31 11:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Yield On Cost Really Important To Dividend Investors? [View article]
    "As investors use the term, income includes the total return from an asset."

I am an investor, and I do not use the term in that way.

It is not possible to consume/spend capital appreciation. You have to sell the asset in order to realize the capital gain.

One does not have to sell a dividend growth company in order to consume/spend the dividends.

To me, dividends are income, and capital appreciation is not income.
    Dec 31 11:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dave Van Knapp Positions For 2013: Tuning Out Market 'Noise' With Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Perhaps, but I would hate to have to depend on long rates rising consecutively over several years, especially as the free market is no longer in charge of the rates. :-(
    Dec 31 11:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    "There is a school of thought that if the yield is high enough, you can create rising income by reinvesting it."

Perhaps, but it still seems to me that any form of fixed income (no matter how high) will lose purchasing power due to inflation.
    Dec 31 09:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Strategy Doesn't Bow To The Fiscal Cliff [View article]
    "I'm not saying people who own BH are knuckleheads!"

No, they're "Buffett-heads"! :-)

With a nod to Bogle-heads. :-)
    Dec 31 09:22 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Yield On Cost Really Important To Dividend Investors? [View article]
    "Incoming was originally from game approaching the hunter"

Right, so "income" is what you can consume (e.g. the game).

"money made through business or labor"

Right, so "income" is what you can spend (e.g. money).
    Dec 31 09:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Yield On Cost Really Important To Dividend Investors? [View article]
    Sumflow, how can income not be cash income? What other kind of income is there?
    Dec 31 09:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Intel Corporation The Ultimate Value Trap For Investors? [View article]
    "The debt offering will enable them to increase the stock buybacks."

I would rather they not increase their debt. :-(
    Dec 31 09:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retired Investors - How Do You Manage Risk? [View article]
    Bob, I think that depends on which country the company is domiciled in, and whether there is a tax treaty between that country and the US.
    Dec 30 03:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment