Robert Allan Schwartz

View Robert Allan Schwartz's Comments BY TICKER:
AA, AAN, AAPL, ABBV, ABC, ABT, ADM, ADP, AFL, AGD, AGG, AGNC, AJG, AMGN, AMIGF, AMZN, APD, ARCP, ARCT, ARG, AVIV, AVP, AWK, AWR, BA, BAX, BBL, BBY, BCE, BCR, BDJ, BDT, BDX, BEN, BF.B, BGG, BGS, BHP, BIP, BLL, BMR, BMS, BND, BOKF, BP, BRC, BREW, BRK.A, BRK.B, BTI, BUD, CAG, CAH, CAT, CATO, CB, CBRL, CHD, CHEUY, CHRW, CIM, CINF, CL, CLCT, CLX, CM, CMI, CMLP, CMRE, CNI, CNRD, COP, COST, CPB, CR, CSCO, CTL, CVR, CVX, DBD, DE, DEO, DGRS, DGRW, DIA, DIS, DKS, DLR, DLX, DOV, DOW, DPS, DRI, DTN, DVY, DX, EADSF, EBF, ECL, ED, EMR, ENB, ERIE, ESLT, ESV, ETN, EV, EXC, EXR, FAST, FB, FDS, FHCO, FII, FLY, FRD, FRT, FSC, FTR, FUN, GCI, GD, GE, GEF, GEF.B, GIS, GLD, GME, GOOD, GPC, GRMN, GWW, HAS, HCBK, HCLP, HCP, HEINY, HGIC, HHS, HMN, HNZ, HOG, HRL, HRS, HSH, HSY, HT, HTA, HYG, IBM, IDV, INTC, IRM, ITW, IVV, JCI, JCP, JJSF, JNJ, K, KMB, KMI, KMP, KO, KODK, KRFT, LANC, LDR, LECO, LEG, LLY, LMT, LO, LOW, M, MAIN, MAT, MCD, MCHP, MDLZ, MDP, MDT, MET, MHFI, MKC, MMM, MN, MNDO, MNR, MO, MON, MOS, MRK, MSFT, MUR, NEE, NHI, NKE, NLY, NOC, NP, NRP, NSC, NSRGF, NSRGY, NUE, NUS, NVS, NWL, O, OFC, OHI, OKE, ORCL, ORI, OSGB, OXY, PAYX, PBI, PCAR, PEP, PERM, PFE, PFG, PG, PH, PII, PM, PNR, POT, PPG, PPO, PSX, PX, QCOM, RAS, RAVN, RDC, RDS.A, RDS.B, REG, RLI, ROST, RPM, RRD, RSG, RSH, RTN, RY, SAFT, SBUX, SDRL, SDY, SEP, SHW, SJM, SLF, SO, SON, SPLS, SPLV, SPY, STON, STRA, STX, SVU, SWK, SYK, SYY, T, TAL, TAP, TAXI, TBT, TD, TEVA, TGH, TGT, THO, TIP, TIS, TJX, TLT, TMP, TOT, TR, TROW, TRV, TUP, UG, UL, UMH, UN, UNH, UPS, UTX, UVE, UVV, V, VALE, VDIGX, VFC, VGR, VIG, VIVO, VMC, VNRCF, VO, VTR, VYM, VZ, WAG, WDFC, WEN, WFC, WFM, WHR, WIN, WM, WMT, WPC, WRI, WTR, WU, XLP, XOM, XRX, YUM, ZTS
  • Are Dividend Contenders The Real Champions? [View article]
    "RAS,

I'm not a fan of what MCD has done over the last few years, can't tell yet if that is just a cycle but the comp sales have been in the crapper quarter after quarter. What concerns me more than falling comp sales at MCD is the utter lack of any pricing power. When CMG or SBUX wants to raise prices, it just raises the bottom line. MCD can't not raise prices, people are only there for price, and they just go to Burger King."

Doug, I don't believe that ANY company has "pricing power". No matter how badly I want a company's product, if it is priced more than I'm willing to pay, then I won't buy it.

I own MCD, and will continue to hold, because I believe they are a company that knows how to make money, and they will adjust their behavior in order to continue to make money.
    Mar 26, 2015. 09:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Dividend Contenders The Real Champions? [View article]
    "What are kids going for these days? :)"

$20/pound.

:-)
    Mar 26, 2015. 09:19 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM And Rising Rates? Not A Good Combination [View article]
    ""Overvalued" is in the eyes of beholder."

Absolutely.
    ALL valuations are in the eyes of the beholder.
    What something is worth TO YOU, might not be what it is worth TO ME.
    Mar 26, 2015. 09:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4% Dividend Yield Portfolio: An Evaluation After One Quarter [View article]
    "For example 2% yield plus 8% divi growth is much better than 5% yield plus 1% growth. (10% vs 6%). The math behind this assumes that the stock will grow at the same rate as the dividend."

Your math is completely wrong.

Go to this web site:

and enter your numbers. Examine the results. Without dividend reinvestment, 5% yield and 1% growth ALWAYS produces more cash than 2% yield and 8% growth. With dividend reinvestment, it takes 26 years for the faster grower to catch up to the higher payer, and that doesn't take into account the cumulative cash paid during those 26 years.
    Mar 26, 2015. 09:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM And Rising Rates? Not A Good Combination [View article]
    "Borrowing to buy back stocks is always a good idea when interest rate is very low."

Borrowing to buy back stocks, when the share price is overvalued, is never a good idea, even if interest rate is very low.
    Mar 26, 2015. 08:54 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM And Rising Rates? Not A Good Combination [View article]
    "I added because Buffett added."

If Buffett has the same investing goals that I have, then I would do what he does.
    Mar 26, 2015. 08:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bear Claws My Dividend Growth Portfolio - Will I Cut And Run? [View article]
    "I agree 100%, I only wish I had found it sooner!"

Joe, it's never too late.
    Mar 26, 2015. 08:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Holding Cash A Good Idea? Will It Pay Off? [View article]
    "Robert, you either believe that the market price is purely random, or that it is at least somewhat based on objective valuations of some sorts."

I agree with PendragonY's comment that this is a false binary choice, but let's grant your "either-or" for a moment, and I will respond to the question as asked.

I do not believe in "objective valuations of some sorts".
    I do not believe that there is only one "right", "correct", "valid", price for something.
    What something is worth TO YOU, and what that same something is worth TO ME, could be and very likely will be somewhat to very different.
    Therefore, I do not believe that prices, and price changes, carry the sort of information that you believe they do.
    Mar 26, 2015. 08:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kraft Foods, H.J. Heinz Merger To Drive Significant Potential Synergy And Dividend Growth Opportunities [View article]
    If you were Canadian, you would have added malt vinegar. :-)
    Mar 25, 2015. 04:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Great 401(k) Experiment Has Failed? [View article]
    "At the root of the problem is the fact that too many have come to rely on the government to provide for them and, as usual, government has fubar'd the job."

Mayhawk, someone once said, "Those who trade freedom for security, deserve neither".
    Mar 25, 2015. 04:20 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Dividend Contenders The Real Champions? [View article]
    Dave, are you hoping they will buy HRL? :-)

Chocolate SPAM! :-)
    Mar 25, 2015. 03:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Great 401(k) Experiment Has Failed? [View article]
    TF17, let me try again to make myself clear about this.

How are dozens of comments on this web page, going to make any difference in the real world, to the millions of people who fail to plan for their future?

We can write about it until we are blue in the face, but it doesn't change reality.

The people who need to learn how to plan, are not reading this web page.
    Mar 25, 2015. 03:20 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Great 401(k) Experiment Has Failed? [View article]
    "Robert....we don't disagree, my friend."

Paul, I'm glad to hear that.

"I sometimes get my tongue stuck in my cheek."

There's a new medical specialty to help with that. :-)

"I wrote that PLANNING is easy and just requires assumptions and math. Governments are prolific planners."

You're right, to plan is easy, to execute is difficult.
    "plan" is a 4-letter-word.

"There are exceptions: we did put guys on the moon. In 1969. That program worked well. It has been terminated."

I have read that we no longer have the knowledge, technology, expertise, or skill set to repeat the Apollo program. It's sad. :-(
    Mar 25, 2015. 03:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Great 401(k) Experiment Has Failed? [View article]
    "Robert, it is a free country... If it doesn't interest you, then uncheck the "follow" box and don't comment."

It is indeed a free country.
    I am free to comment.
    You are free to not read my comment.
    Mar 25, 2015. 02:40 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Has Altria Become Overvalued? [View article]
    "Mr Schwartz, are you suggesting MO is currently undervalued, or was that just a general statement?"

My earlier comment had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with any single company.

As it happens, FAST Graphs shows that MO is currently over-valued, but that is not relevant to the point I was making.
    Mar 25, 2015. 02:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment