Robert Allan Schwartz

View Robert Allan Schwartz's Comments BY TICKER:
AA, AAPL, ABBV, ABC, ABT, ADM, ADP, AFL, AGD, AGG, AGNC, AJG, AMGN, AMIGF, AMZN, APD, ARCP, ARCT, ARG, AVP, AWK, AWR, BA, BAX, BBY, BCE, BCR, BDJ, BDT, BDX, BF.B, BGG, BGS, BHP, BIP, BLL, BMR, BMS, BND, BP, BRC, BREW, BRK.A, BRK.B, BTI, BUD, CAG, CAH, CAT, CATO, CB, CBRL, CHD, CHEUY, CHRW, CIM, CL, CLCT, CLX, CM, CMI, CMLP, CMRE, CNI, CNRD, COP, COST, CPB, CR, CSCO, CTL, CVR, CVX, DBD, DE, DEO, DGRS, DGRW, DIA, DIS, DKS, DLR, DLX, DOV, DOW, DPS, DRI, DTN, DVY, DX, EADSF, EBF, ECL, ED, EMR, ENB, ERIE, ESLT, ESV, ETN, EV, EXC, EXR, FAST, FB, FDS, FHCO, FII, FLY, FRD, FRT, FSC, FTR, FUN, GCI, GD, GE, GEF, GEF.B, GIS, GLD, GME, GOOD, GPC, GRMN, HAS, HCBK, HCLP, HCP, HEINY, HGIC, HMN, HNZ, HOG, HRS, HSH, HSY, HT, HTA, HYG, IBM, IDV, INTC, IRM, ITW, IVV, JCI, JCP, JJSF, JNJ, K, KMB, KMI, KMP, KO, KODK, KRFT, LANC, LDR, LECO, LEG, LLY, LMT, LO, LOW, M, MAIN, MAT, MCD, MCHP, MDLZ, MDP, MDT, MET, MHFI, MKC, MMM, MN, MNDO, MNR, MO, MON, MOS, MRK, MSFT, MUR, NEE, NHI, NKE, NLY, NP, NRP, NSC, NSRGY, NUE, NUS, NVS, O, OFC, OHI, OKE, ORCL, ORI, OSGIQ, OXY, PAYX, PBI, PCAR, PEP, PERM, PFE, PFG, PG, PH, PII, PM, PPG, PPO, PSX, PX, QCOM, RAS, RAVN, RDC, RDS.A, RDS.B, REG, RLI, ROST, RPM, RRD, RSG, RSH, RTN, RY, SBUX, SDY, SEP, SHW, SJM, SLF, SO, SON, SPLS, SPLV, SPY, STON, STRA, STX, SVU, SWK, SYK, SYY, T, TAL, TAP, TAXI, TBT, TD, TEVA, TGH, TGT, THO, TIP, TIS, TJX, TLT, TMP, TOT, TR, TROW, TRV, TUP, UG, UL, UMH, UN, UNH, UTX, UVE, UVV, V, VALE, VFC, VIG, VIVO, VMC, VNRCF, VO, VTR, VYM, VZ, WAG, WDFC, WEN, WFC, WFM, WHR, WIN, WM, WMT, WRI, WTR, WU, XLP, XOM, XRX, YUM
  • 3 Reasons I Prefer Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Dave, you usually are. :-)
    Dec 8, 2014. 03:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons I Prefer Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    "First shareholders have no rights to earnings unless those rights are given to them in the form of a declared dividend"

Shareholders own the company.
    Shareholders own all parts and assets of the company, including cash.
    Shareholders own the profits, whether they are paid out quarterly as dividends, or not.

FinancialDave, I've been through this argument dozens of times over the past few years, and I've gotten tired of it, so I won't be continuing.

Robert
    Dec 8, 2014. 02:12 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons I Prefer Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    FinancialDave, I stopped reading your FAQ after the first sentence:

"dividends are a cost to the corporation"

Shareholders are the owners, and dividends are a way for owners to receive some of THEIR profits every quarter.
    Dec 8, 2014. 01:06 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity Investing Or Index Investing [View article]
    ""I have never known Giorgio to make fun of anybody, so that can't be it. "

No, that's not true.

I make fun of myself all the time..."

Ergo you are not "anybody", ergo you are nobody? :-)
    Dec 8, 2014. 12:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity Investing Or Index Investing [View article]
    "Consider yourselves fortunate that you live in a country that allows a deduction of ANY mortgage interest."

The US allows the deduction of mortgage interest to serve the political/social goal of increasing home ownership.

I don't like the idea of the government using taxes to influence my behavior, so I am against the deductibility of mortgage interest. I think the government should allow the free market to work without interference.
    Dec 8, 2014. 12:50 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity Investing Or Index Investing [View article]
    "I pointed out that it would be less risky to have the 30 year. You can always pay more but you're going to be in trouble paying less "if something happens"."

geekette, you can have the best of both worlds.
    Get the 30-year mortgage, then prepay extra principal every month.
    One scheme is making a half mortgage payment every two weeks.
    That makes 26 payments per year, not 24.
    Such a scheme (which you can implement yourself, and which you can turn up or down as needed) might pay off the 30-year mortgage in far fewer years.
    Dec 8, 2014. 12:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BP's Dividend Hors D'oeuvres [View article]
    ""As I see it, a superior yield at least lets you snack on hors d'oeuvres while waiting for the main meal."

For an income-focused investor, I think that's about as concise and powerful a message as you could imagine. In just one sentence, it succinctly summarizes both why an investor might prefer cash flow and why it pays to be patient."

That's funny - I see it the opposite way - the "superior yield" is the main course, which I eat for years, and the (possible) capital gain is the dessert, which I may (or may not, if I never sell) enjoy at the end.
    Dec 8, 2014. 12:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth's Not-So-Nifty Fifty [View article]
    "Inconceivable!"

from "The Princess Bride"! :-)
    Dec 8, 2014. 10:36 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Problem With 'Waiting For A Lower Price' [View article]
    "But it is too simple to say there are always "other opportunities in the market.""

But it is true. No matter when I have cash to spend, there is always at least one company on my wish list that is undervalued. I have never needed to wait for that to happen.
    Dec 8, 2014. 10:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Albert Einstein's Math Get You To The Finish Line? Retirement Portfolio Quarterly Review [View article]
    George, I always enjoy your articles. You make me think!

Robert
    Dec 8, 2014. 08:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons I Prefer Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    David, we need to capture your excellent response in something like a DGI FAQ, so we can point folks to the FAQ, so you won't need to keep repeating yourself.
    Dec 5, 2014. 03:25 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 48 MLPs For Income: Are The 10% To 20% Yields For Real, Or Too Good To Be True? Part 4 [View article]
    "I don’t think he originated it, but he stated it often. His statement was: “when Congress is in session your money is in jeopardy.”"

The origin of the quote is Mark Twain:

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."
    Dec 5, 2014. 01:35 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity Investing Or Index Investing [View article]
    "I consider it a "durable asset""

I consider it a "depreciating asset", as it requires more and more maintenance simply to stay in the same condition.
    Dec 5, 2014. 12:59 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equity Investing Or Index Investing [View article]
    TF, even with the deductibility of mortgage interest?
    Dec 5, 2014. 12:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    "Any claim that dividend growth investing will yield superior results over the long run must discount the returns by the rate of inflation."

As long as my dividend GROWTH companies GROW their dividends each year by at least as much as the rate of inflation, then I will never lose purchasing power due to inflation.
    Dec 5, 2014. 11:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment