Robert Allan Schwartz

View Robert Allan Schwartz's Comments BY TICKER:
AA, AAN, AAPL, ABBV, ABC, ABT, ADM, ADP, AFL, AGD, AGG, AGNC, AJG, AMGN, AMIGF, AMZN, APD, ARCP, ARCT, ARG, AVIV, AVP, AWK, AWR, BA, BAX, BBL, BBY, BCE, BCR, BDJ, BDT, BDX, BEN, BF.B, BGG, BGS, BHP, BIP, BLL, BMR, BMS, BND, BOKF, BP, BRC, BREW, BRK.A, BRK.B, BTI, BUD, CAG, CAH, CAT, CATO, CB, CBRL, CHD, CHEUY, CHRW, CIM, CINF, CL, CLCT, CLX, CM, CMI, CMLP, CMRE, CNI, CNRD, COP, COST, CPB, CR, CSCO, CTL, CVR, CVX, DBD, DE, DEO, DGRS, DGRW, DIA, DIS, DKS, DLR, DLX, DOV, DOW, DPS, DRI, DTN, DVY, DX, EADSF, EBF, ECL, ED, EMR, ENB, ERIE, ESLT, ESV, ETN, EV, EXC, EXR, FAST, FB, FDS, FHCO, FII, FLY, FRD, FRT, FSC, FTR, FUN, GCI, GD, GE, GEF, GEF.B, GIS, GLD, GME, GOOD, GPC, GRMN, GWW, HAS, HCBK, HCLP, HCP, HEINY, HGIC, HHS, HMN, HNZ, HOG, HRL, HRS, HSH, HSY, HT, HTA, HYG, IBM, IDV, INTC, IRM, ITW, IVV, JCI, JCP, JJSF, JNJ, K, KMB, KMI, KMP, KO, KODK, KRFT, LANC, LDR, LECO, LEG, LLY, LMT, LO, LOW, M, MAIN, MAT, MCD, MCHP, MDLZ, MDP, MDT, MET, MHFI, MKC, MMM, MN, MNDO, MNR, MO, MON, MOS, MRK, MSFT, MUR, NEE, NHI, NKE, NLY, NOC, NP, NRP, NSC, NSRGF, NSRGY, NUE, NUS, NVS, NWL, O, OFC, OHI, OKE, ORCL, ORI, OSGB, OXY, PAYX, PBI, PCAR, PEP, PERM, PFE, PFG, PG, PH, PII, PM, PNR, POT, PPG, PPO, PSX, PX, QCOM, RAS, RAVN, RDC, RDS.A, RDS.B, REG, RLI, ROST, RPM, RRD, RSG, RSH, RTN, RY, SAFT, SBUX, SDRL, SDY, SEP, SHW, SJM, SLF, SO, SON, SPLS, SPLV, SPY, STON, STRA, STX, SVU, SWK, SYK, SYY, T, TAL, TAP, TAXI, TBT, TD, TEVA, TGH, TGT, THO, TIP, TIS, TJX, TLT, TMP, TOT, TR, TROW, TRV, TUP, UG, UL, UMH, UN, UNH, UPS, UTX, UVE, UVV, V, VALE, VDIGX, VFC, VGR, VIG, VIVO, VMC, VNRCF, VO, VTR, VYM, VZ, WAG, WDFC, WEN, WFC, WFM, WHR, WIN, WM, WMT, WPC, WRI, WTR, WU, XLP, XOM, XRX, YUM, ZTS
  • The Bear Claws My Dividend Growth Portfolio - Will I Cut And Run? [View article]
    "One thing I would like to see here on SA is a robust discussion among DG investors about the appropriate level of cash to hold."

I wrote an article about that:

Mar 25, 2015. 08:37 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Dividend Contenders The Real Champions? [View article]
    "I recently noticed that Snap-on Inc. (SNA) may only have a current streak of 5 years, but has paid a dividend since 1939 without ever cutting it"

Here is SNA's dividend history:

Mar 24, 2015. 04:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Dividend Investors Could Withdraw More Than 4% Of Their Portfolio [View article]
    "Robert, thanks for asking."

Sartre, you're welcome, and thanks for the answer. You're giving me travel lust. :-)

Robert
    Mar 24, 2015. 11:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    "Let's keep in mind that selling off shares from the portfolio, even small amounts, translates to zero principal left at some point in time."

And you are at the mercy of Mr. Market whenever you sell. What if the price he offers you that day is low enough that you have to sell even more shares to achieve the same income? :-(
    Mar 24, 2015. 10:02 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "The above withdrawal rate and rules have over many years kept me in a lifestyle I care very much about; I move from one country to another every 6 to 12 months. I have rules about the countries I choose; they have to have a culture of good food, wine, coffee and good looking women."

Sartre, where have you been, where are you now, and where will you go next? Your plan sounds like a lot of fun!

Robert
    Mar 24, 2015. 10:01 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "Jeez, Robert, That makes me think it's time to pitch "The Dividend Hour" (aka "Slow Money") to CNBC."

DVK, you absolutely should.
    Mar 24, 2015. 09:24 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • S&P 500 Telecom Services Sector: AT&T Vs. Verizon - Who Wins The Battle Between Growth, Yield And Value? [View article]
    "Moodys and S&P have downgraded T to BBB+ and Baa1."

gabby, thank you for that update.
    Mar 24, 2015. 08:45 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "the dividend intelligence available here in SA seems to exceed his."

The dividend IQ here at SA exceeds that of the Wall Street Journal, Barrons, Kiplingers magazine, Money magazine, Smart Money magazine, and every individual I have ever met.

Find this place was the single best thing that ever happened to me as an investor.
    Mar 23, 2015. 02:33 PM | 40 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "I'm currently running some "bad scenarios" to see what my DGI portfolio may potentially look like during the next inevitable market downturn."

Cool - a stress test! I'd be interested in hearing about your results.
    Mar 23, 2015. 02:32 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Undiscovered Canadian Gem That Pays 6% [View article]
    "I thought dividends of Canadian companies (eg, BNS, etc) were not subject to the 15% Canadian withholding IF held in an US IRA account due to tax treaty. Please correct if I am mistaken."

I believe that is true for non-REIT's.
    Mar 23, 2015. 11:37 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mr. Valuation's Best Ideas For Retirement And Dividend Growth Portfolios: Emerson Electric [View article]
    DJ, my condolences. TUP should not have done that to you. :-(

Robert
    Mar 23, 2015. 08:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    "I am the one that bought TUP (DJ still crying)!"

I don't follow TUP. Why are you crying?
    Mar 22, 2015. 06:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Here is EMR's dividend history:

Mar 22, 2015. 06:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Patterson Companies: Becoming A Dividend Growth Stock [View article]
    Willow, you might be interested in David Van Knapp's articles about the "cistern" approach to investing. Rather than manage dividends by which month they are paid in, DVK's "cistern" collects dividends when they are paid, and dispenses them when cash is needed.
    Mar 22, 2015. 06:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Patterson Companies: Becoming A Dividend Growth Stock [View article]
    Willow, I'm glad to be of service.

Robert