Robert Allan Schwartz

View Robert Allan Schwartz's Comments BY TICKER:
AA, AAN, AAPL, ABBV, ABC, ABT, ADM, ADP, AFL, AGD, AGG, AGNC, AJG, AMGN, AMIGF, AMZN, APD, ARCP, ARCT, ARG, AVIV, AVP, AWK, AWR, BA, BAX, BBL, BBY, BCE, BCR, BDJ, BDT, BDX, BEN, BF.B, BGG, BGS, BHP, BIP, BLL, BMR, BMS, BND, BOKF, BP, BRC, BREW, BRK.A, BRK.B, BTI, BUD, CAG, CAH, CAT, CATO, CB, CBRL, CHD, CHEUY, CHRW, CIM, CINF, CL, CLCT, CLX, CM, CMI, CMLP, CMRE, CNI, CNRD, COP, COST, CPB, CR, CSCO, CTL, CVR, CVX, DBD, DE, DEO, DGRS, DGRW, DIA, DIS, DKS, DLR, DLX, DOV, DOW, DPS, DRI, DTN, DVY, DX, EADSF, EBF, ECL, ED, EMR, ENB, ERIE, ESLT, ESV, ETN, EV, EXC, EXR, FAST, FB, FDS, FHCO, FII, FLY, FRD, FRT, FSC, FTR, FUN, GCI, GD, GE, GEF, GEF.B, GIS, GLD, GME, GOOD, GPC, GRMN, GWW, HAS, HCBK, HCLP, HCP, HEINY, HGIC, HHS, HMN, HNZ, HOG, HRL, HRS, HSH, HSY, HT, HTA, HYG, IBM, IDV, INTC, IRM, ITW, IVV, JCI, JCP, JJSF, JNJ, K, KMB, KMI, KMP, KO, KODK, KRFT, LANC, LDR, LECO, LEG, LLY, LMT, LO, LOW, M, MAIN, MAT, MCD, MCHP, MDLZ, MDP, MDT, MET, MHFI, MKC, MMM, MN, MNDO, MNR, MO, MON, MOS, MRK, MSFT, MUR, NEE, NHI, NKE, NLY, NOC, NP, NRP, NSC, NSRGF, NSRGY, NUE, NUS, NVS, NWL, O, OFC, OHI, OKE, ORCL, ORI, OSGB, OXY, PAYX, PBI, PCAR, PEP, PERM, PFE, PFG, PG, PH, PII, PM, PNR, POT, PPG, PPO, PSX, PX, QCOM, RAS, RAVN, RDC, RDS.A, RDS.B, REG, RLI, ROST, RPM, RRD, RSG, RSH, RTN, RY, SAFT, SBUX, SDRL, SDY, SEP, SHW, SJM, SLF, SO, SON, SPLS, SPLV, SPY, STON, STRA, STX, SVU, SWK, SYK, SYY, T, TAL, TAP, TAXI, TBT, TD, TEVA, TGH, TGT, THO, TIP, TIS, TJX, TLT, TMP, TOT, TR, TROW, TRV, TUP, UG, UL, UMH, UN, UNH, UPS, UTX, UVE, UVV, V, VALE, VDIGX, VFC, VGR, VIG, VIVO, VMC, VNRCF, VO, VTR, VYM, VZ, WAG, WDFC, WEN, WFC, WFM, WHR, WIN, WM, WMT, WPC, WRI, WTR, WU, XLP, XOM, XRX, YUM, ZTS
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Verizon: 10%+ Free Cash Flow Yield And Low Valuation Make This Dividend Powerhouse A Buy [View article]
    Author, you didn't mention the impending strike. What effects will it have on the company, the share price, and the dividend?

Thanks,

Robert
    Jul 28, 2015. 08:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends & Income Digest: 3 'Common' Mistakes Dividend Investors Make, Or Do They? [View article]
    "A sad tale of woe? I thought that was every DGI's fondest hope! Buybuybuy."

Paul, I wish I could, but I choose to keep no "dry powder", as I prefer to have all my dollars working for me as soon as they can, as hard as they can, and as long as they can.

I have no woe.

:-)

Robert
    Jul 28, 2015. 08:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Dividend Growth Investing Is Not Always Best [View article]
    "Still wrong Robert,What I said an undisputable fact."

I dispute what you said.
    It is not a fact.
    But I have better things to do than argue with you.
    I will allow you to have the last word.

Robert
    Jul 28, 2015. 08:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Dividend Growth Investing Is Not Always Best [View article]
    "The net effect of removing cash from the company reduces the value of the company by the amount of the dividend paid."
    "That's why the share price drops."

Here we go again. It seems I've written the same response to so many other people:

The payment of a dividend does reduce the book value of the company.
    It does not permanently affect the share price.
    The exchange "adjusts" the previous day's closing price.
    But trading opens the next morning, and it does not start from the adjusted close from the previous day.
    If what you said were true, then how could it be that PG has paid (and raised) its dividend for 58 consecutive years, and the price is not only NOT going down toward zero, but is going UP?

"Dividends are not guaranteed and can be reduced or cut anytime."

Straw man. Nothing is guaranteed in investing.
    Of course dividends can be reduced or cut anytime.
    But which has the better odds - prices go up and down every second, but dividends go up and up every quarter?

I'll take the dividends, thank you.

Robert
    Jul 27, 2015. 09:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    "I've been doing that for a long time now because I'm not smart enough to have been a DGI from the get go. :=)>"

Paul, my friend, I will quote you back at yourself: "You get it. And, you've done it. So, stop already with this "I'm not smart enough" schtick. No one should ever say something like that."

:-)

"My intuition, influenced by my experience, is that outsized gains are more likely when the stock is one where the dividend yield is low, like <2.5%. If you don't play in that playground, I understand."

Right now, my biggest problem is not overvalued companies with shrinking current yield, it is undervalued companies with rising current yield. :-(

Thanks, my friend!

Robert
    Jul 27, 2015. 09:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "I wouldn't hesitate to swap out a Champion with a reversed pattern of dividend growth just because its a Champion."

Bob, as always, you make perfect sense.

Thanks,

Robert
    Jul 27, 2015. 05:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Timing Is Not Appropriate For Retired Investors [View article]
    "this'd be a self-congratulatory echo chamber."

If you don't like being in such a place, then find some other place to be.
    Jul 27, 2015. 05:11 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Timing Is Not Appropriate For Retired Investors [View article]
    "blame them for my appearance"

Are you another one of those people who blame everything on someone else?
    Jul 27, 2015. 05:11 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "You are paying an opportunity cost staying with the former."

Yes, I see that, and I understand and agree.

But doesn't this depend on the "all else being equal" qualifier?

Robert
    Jul 27, 2015. 04:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Dividend Aristocrats Portfolio Can Achieve Superior Performance With Adaptive Allocation [View article]
    "Over a nine year period from 2006 to 2015, it was shown that the adaptive allocation could have achieved a total return twice as large as that of a buy-and-hold strategy. Additionally, the adaptive allocation produced higher returns and significantly lower volatility and drawdowns."

Not all of your readers are total return investors.

I am an income investor, specifically a dividend growth investor.

Could you please comment on the INCOME return from adaptive allocation compared to the INCOME return of the buy-and-hold strategy?

Robert
    Jul 27, 2015. 04:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "Robert..tsk tsk: Of course you're smart enough, perhaps not experienced enough."

Paul, you are very kind.
    I think I am not lucky enough.

"You don't have to be smart to figure out that if you sold 500 shares of ABC you could buy 750 shares of XYZ and trade $300 of dividends for $450 of dividends."

I've done that, and I've written an article about that:

"Here's an example: 500 shares in ABC, paying a 3% dividend, that you bought in August for $20 are trading in September for $30."

I acknowledge that that CAN happen, but does it happen when I WANT it to happen? Most likely not, knowing my luck. :-(

Thanks,

Robert
    Jul 27, 2015. 04:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Market Timing Is Not Appropriate For Retired Investors [View article]
    "The so-called "Me Generation" has always attached an exaggerated sense of importance of its hobbies and self-indulgences. From self-realization to recreational drugs to organic foods to competitive home improvement, their aggrandized pastimes always reflect their age and stage of life. "Building a portfolio" is the latest fancy. In several years, this hobby will pass into obscurity just like roller blading, disco fever, and water beds."

I doubt it will "pass into obscurity".

What will all of those people do when they hit 65 and discover they haven't adequately planned for retirement?
    Jul 27, 2015. 03:24 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "Robert,
    It is more nuanced than that."

Be Here Now, thank you for your kind explanation. It makes more sense to me now.

Thanks,

Robert
    Jul 27, 2015. 02:55 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ConocoPhillips: This 5% Yielder Is On Sale, And Here's Why You Should Care [View article]
    "Warren Buffet got rich years ago by concentrating his portfolio shortly after taking over Berkshire Hathaway."

Here is the history of Berkshire Hathaway:

"In 1962, Warren Buffett began buying stock in Berkshire Hathaway after noticing a pattern in the price direction of its stock whenever the company closed a mill. Eventually, Buffett acknowledged that the textile business was waning and the company's financial situation was not going to improve. In 1964, Stanton made an oral tender offer of $111⁄2 per share for the company to buy back Buffett's shares. Buffett agreed to the deal. A few weeks later, Warren Buffett received the tender offer in writing, but the tender offer was for only $113⁄8. Buffett later admitted that this lower, undercutting offer made him angry.[9] Instead of selling at the slightly lower price, Buffett decided to buy more of the stock to take control of the company"

Let's say Warren bought BRK in 1964.

You said Warren "got rich years ago by concentrating his portfolio shortly after taking over Berkshire Hathaway".

Exactly when did Warren "get rich"?
    Was it really "shortly" after 1964?
    Jul 27, 2015. 02:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • DGI Beats Indexing; What Beats DGI? [View article]
    Or as Warren Buffett said - "Price is what you pay. Value is what you get."
    Jul 27, 2015. 02:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment