Robert Duval

View Robert Duval's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Active Managers Strike Back - But Are They Worth It? [View article]
    Hardog,

Want an example? When a mutual fund has a big buy order, they send it to their executing broker on the floor -- I was there, but not working for them -- with instructions to get filled by day's end.

So, the brokers pro trader, would buy for their own account, front running their client, run the price up hard into the close, then "cross" a big block right at the close -- pro selling, client (mutual fund) buying -- right at a high spike closing price of the day. That's how it works, and those are the fills mom and pop get.
    May 19, 2015. 07:17 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Linn Energy: Don't Freak Out About The Secondary, Be Smart And Buy When Others Panic [View article]
    I've been extremely cautious on this name for many, many months and taken a ton of rude flack on SA for it, and so I am not remotely surprised at today's action, and the fact they have to launch a secondary. I have also tried repeatedly to short the stock, (months back) but could not borrow it --

Apparently the fact the stock moving from 40 to 11 means nothing to the Bulls who are "right" and the Bears on this name "wrong naysayers". Right, OK. Stock is entrenched in a bear market -- that's what it is -- and I highly doubt we've seen the lows.

I didn't, and don't, trust the accounting, their balance sheet, and most of all, management. This move down is likely not an overreaction, for these reasons, and I expect Line to likely move lower as their financial position weakens, even if oil rallies a little.

Good luck. Line is showing their situation clearly. Be loyal to your family, or your pet, not this disaster of a stock. No position in Line or Lnco.
    May 19, 2015. 07:09 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mid - May Market Update, And The Uselessness Of Grand Predictions [View instapost]

Article on active management. Note second chart down.

It's no secret I'm not a fan in any way of the professional money management industry as a whole. It's structure exists to enrich itself and fleece the public, spoken broadly.
    May 19, 2015. 05:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Active Managers Strike Back - But Are They Worth It? [View article]
    I think its a good article. From my chair of 16 years as a floor trader, investor, and desk trader, there are few more industries more blatantly crooked than the vast majority of mutual funds, hunting down Mom and Pop through their "licensed and certified" shills, your Financial Adviser or Certified Financial Planner.

These charlatans are nothing but snake oil salesmen for the mutual fund industry, and it's all about AUM -- assets under management -- and driving those fees. Switching fees, front end fees, back end, trailer, the list is endless. Churning accounts, special leveraged loan products, nothing is beyond these lizards.

There are few people I have greater disdain for. A giant group of Bernie Madoff leeches bleeding their own clients dry, all above board and legal.

The stories I could tell.
    May 19, 2015. 05:48 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Euro Drops 1.5% As European Central Bank Promises More Free Money [View article]

Phil, my latest, and just for the "it's an all organic crowd"

Hedge with bond shorts......
    May 19, 2015. 05:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bond Bubble Is Bursting [View article]
    William,

My latest. Especially for the bull crowd claiming zero market impact from higher rates.

May 19, 2015. 05:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Blowing the roof off (HLF) above 50, those Jan 2016 long held 60 calls waking up now!

All short calls on Energy covered, PBR SDRL SUNE FCX.
    May 19, 2015. 03:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Bond Bubble Is Bursting [View article]

William;

I am with you and this is early on in the game. Shorting bonds is The hedge IMO, as well as a healthy cash allocation.

I would be watching Ag related closely here, as well.
    May 19, 2015. 02:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dear FTC: There's Never Been A Better Time To Deal With Herbalife [View article]
    Beautiful move on HLF, Matt Stewart. Next likely event, could happen at any time; without warning stock will be halted; and news announcement;

"FTC clears HLF on all allegations".

Stock re-opens at 80.00

Sleep well, HLF shorts.

Long HLF calls, stock.
    May 19, 2015. 01:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Hedge Funds Trade Alibaba Shares In Q1 [View article]
    "making profit" Really. and you know how much of any profit, assuming you are willing to risk your money on Chinese accounting, US investors are LEGALLY entitled to? Zero. Zip. Nada.

Read the corporate structure before buying something you don't understand.

No position in Baba and; I don't think my comment is much of an influence on Tiger management selling their stock, either, so nice logic there.

Maybe at $20.00 I'd take a shot. Have to be stupid cheap. I don't risk my money on a "fairly" valued Chinese accounting firm, with zero protections for US investors that clearly no one here has a clue about, unless its so cheap as to be a pure gamble -- cause thats what this is.

Good luck to those of you who like gambling. Buying things you don't fully understand is a fast way to the poorhouse, IMO
    May 19, 2015. 01:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Edit....on this morning's crude selloff I did close shorts on those PXD / CLR / COS names, as // goes against my overall re-flation theme.

Due to the debt though I am somewhat wary on these names.

I am also bid to close short calls on FCX, SDRL, PBR, at a fraction of what I sold them.
    May 19, 2015. 01:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weighing The Week Ahead: Will The Interest Rate Spike Pressure Stock Prices? [View article]
    Give me points for Honesty --
    May 19, 2015. 01:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment

My latest likely useless drivel -- enjoy !
    May 19, 2015. 10:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • One Man's Self-Deceit Is Another Man's Rationalization [View article]

More useless drivel to waste time on -- enjoy!
    May 19, 2015. 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • All-Time Highs Prove Investors Must Be Stoned [View article]

More humourous drivel from me to read......
    May 19, 2015. 10:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment