Robert Duval

View Robert Duval's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Best Ways To Invest -- What's Your Opinion? A Place To Share Ideas! #46 [View instapost]
    Yesterday was the pain day. Most shorted stocks rallied rather hard. Immediately started falling again today (my group) so minimal although some damage. Did cut down a couple of the leaders like TSLA, too strong and too promoted.

Strong dollar works for my thesis -- finally the Fed is backing away a step or 2. Momo stocks started to weaken, Z which I put on after the Fed (housing) down 5 after hrs on TRLA EPS. Too bad its a small position.

TWTR new lows -- looks horrible that one.

Horrible squeeze on CLF yesterday but is more than halfway back! Not an easy game.....but hanging in there.....
    Oct 29 05:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Existing Home Sales Decline Year Over Year For Eleven Months In Row [View article]
    Awesome....well done.
    Oct 29 08:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    FG,

Then it would be telling for the market IF that group rolled over.....without a company specific reason...( I expect gild and FB to report good eps ).

Eg...I am still short CAT....at a loss.....but wouldn't be shocked to see that one roll over...might have started today...

No positions in the leaders I mentioned...
    Oct 27 08:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BSF,

IMO the rally is getting narrower.

I will predict this. IF the following stocks substantially correct --- the entire market follows, big time. They are the stocks to watch closely for the health of the rally.

GS MU GILD AAPL FB

Others are obviously important, but you see those 5 roll over, a lot of stocks follow.

I am short a wide spectrum of stocks and my account just made a new fall high, and not far from year highs, while the Nasdaq / SPX have rallied hard in my face. Trading indexes has been terrible by contrast.

That has to tell something about the breadth of the rally, cause' I'm just not that smart a stock picker!
    Oct 27 07:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Report : Drop in U.S. sales for Tesla Motors in September [View news story]
    Give me a break. It's a car. Not a space shuttle or time machine.

It's not that special, neither is the stock.
    Oct 27 06:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Did The European Central Bank Pass Its Stress Test? [View article]
    How can any stress test be considered credible, when the #1 issue facing the eurozone, deflation, wasn't even considered in the test?

Purely a PR exercise....not buying.
    Oct 27 06:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    FG;

I have heard that speculation around twitter and other places too. Definitely there is some chatter out there.
    Oct 27 06:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    So far this EPS season; I'm 4 / 5 (ANGI AMZN P & TWTR) and one scratch so far (CLF), who claim to have beaten earnings -- just ignore the massive writedown on their assets. Guess these things don't count -- except to the banks I suppose.
    Oct 27 05:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    T.....frankly with my current view of slowing growth and commodity oversupply in the world....combined with a re-elected hostile government ---it is hard to see any price I'd really be interested in Brazil today, other than as a flip.

If a different gov't had been elected....and there was a celebration run-up....might have shorted it.

The world seems to be slowing, and commodities are in a bear market. It is easy to see where only the lowest cost producers will be OK. In Mining, thats (BHP) & (RIO). in Oil, thats Saudi and co's like (XOM).

I have the low on EWZ on 11/16/2008 25.39 and closed at 27.98 that day.
    Oct 27 03:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    (EWZ) traded as low as 25.70 in the fall of 2008.

Currently 39.40. NO - where close to interesting.
    Oct 27 02:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I don't see why Brazil would be interesting now at any price above the 2008 lows.
    Oct 27 02:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment

Possibly why the market is rallying. Speculation rampant.
    Oct 27 02:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    FG, L;

Macro in the end leads the earnings trends!
    Oct 27 11:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    SG;

All being said; I'll repeat what I've said for some time: I simply see the opportunities on the downside far and away much greater than the upside.

That being said -- the one thing the US absolutely needs to do is stop being a blatant currency manipulator -- they wouldn't put up with it from any other country --- the Fed needs to affirm a "strong US Dollar" policy -- that is the official position -- and that they are committed to a strong dollar -- enough with these currency wars.
    Oct 27 10:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    FG;

Thats fine --- its an academic discussion -- and only I am responsible for my results -- and I am doing just fine btw shorting energy and momo stocks----actually a great morning------

---- even as they bid the nasdaq up before my eyes right now -- as the German DAX crumbles......History would say be careful here.....
    Oct 27 10:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment