Robert Duval

View Robert Duval's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Update For Bond And Equity Preferred Stock Basket Strategy As Of 7/31/15 [View instapost]
    SG, others:

I would rather wait until the late fall on energy cherry picking.

The fall is a lower demand period for Crude oil and I expect further pressure.

The bonds are an interesting idea but LINE management do not inspire my confidence.

I would rather wait for more "panic" in the sector.

To those who would say we are there -- that every downtick in any stock is some kind of panic, I read this and find it amusing -- I would recommend a different perspective.

From my chair we have not seen what I define as "panic" in any sector in years.
    Aug 4, 2015. 09:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Have Apple And Gilead Switched Roles Within The Market? [View article]
    Brian,

My concern is most investors have become immune to seeing what is a normal part of a secular bull, a multi - month correction.

Hence as in my article below I have advocated raising some cash, and I certainly don't see the hurray to add more AAPL after one big down day. It's no big deal. Normal part of markets.

Let it come in, maybe it corrects as part of a general move to 100 or even lower.

Just my 2 cents. Best wishes.

Aug 4, 2015. 09:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Case For A 300-500 Point Correction In The S&P 500 - And Still A 'Secular Bull' [View article]
    Sorry Dr. T.

Not much of a Gold trader. Perhaps others might know better.
    Aug 4, 2015. 09:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Have Apple And Gilead Switched Roles Within The Market? [View article]
    Brian,

We certainly agree there.

....and referring to some of those names, like NFLX TSLA, I think they are infinately higher risk for a severe disappointment.

However -- suppose for a time it's harder to disappoint on profits when none are expected yet. But wall streets patience is not unlimited.
    Aug 4, 2015. 09:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Trouble Is Brewing In The Markets [View article]
    SU,

Good to see more cautionary counsel. I have been for months, and shorting certain areas as well.

Here is my take FYI,

Aug 4, 2015. 09:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Have Apple And Gilead Switched Roles Within The Market? [View article]
    Brian -- Punished ?

I don't follow.

What are your expectations? Perhaps that is the issue many investors have.

Have you seen the gigantic run GILD and AAPL have had over the last 5-6 years?

Corrections are a normal part of market cycles. Shouldn't be an issue.

Except for investors that loaded up at the top.
    Aug 4, 2015. 07:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Linn Energy: A Closer Look Into The Shocking Distribution Suspension [View article]
    All of you are gambling, with this stock, in my view.

No offense and no position in LINE.

17 years experience, that's all.

Take that for what it's worth.
    Aug 4, 2015. 07:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Have Apple And Gilead Switched Roles Within The Market? [View article]
    Bret,

FWIW I think broader measures like semiconductors should be more on investors radar.

AAPL is a symptom of the market environment not a cause.
    Aug 4, 2015. 07:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Have Apple And Gilead Switched Roles Within The Market? [View article]
    A lot of people seem to want to correctly embrace their stocks when they go up and then incorrectly argue with them when they turn and go down.

Taken to its extreme and obviously not AAPL, you end up with a lot of LINE stock holders with 80-90% losses.

It's obvious most folks have no process for risk control. I say that with respect and 17 years observation.

Just food for thought.
    Aug 4, 2015. 07:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Have Apple And Gilead Switched Roles Within The Market? [View article]
    Bob,

Well gee we have a high volume, high momentum breakdown -- and guess what it's not about Greece. Now I have no idea what others consider relevant or irrelevant, but its reaction that matters, not our opinions on what is important.
    Aug 4, 2015. 06:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    SG;

Thanks. NP in DIS.
    Aug 4, 2015. 06:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Have Apple And Gilead Switched Roles Within The Market? [View article]
    Bret;

I am short AAPL from 121 and will remain short along with members of the ecosystem, popular stocks like SWKS and AVGO.

It is my view that one after another they are taking down the leaders in possible preparation for a correction, which of course is not guaranteed. Tonight another leader (DIS) is - 8 points after earnings.

Market continues to narrow. I think it's far too early to buy these stocks until things shake out, and that includes GILD, if for no other reason the whole retail planet owns it along with AAPL.
    Aug 4, 2015. 05:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    SG;

Reaction is key with these many quarters of light revenue but EPS beats. Market appears less tolerant these days of this trend.

DIS now trades 114.30 pretty decent drop from 122 prior.
    Aug 4, 2015. 05:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I exercise a lot of variant perception strategy when it comes to markets.

Consensus: Apple IPhone will be forever dominant.

Variant perception: Xaomi CHINESE smartphones / along with Samsung // will undercut and then be dominant 5 years from now. Aapl will be today's blackberry.

Don't laugh -- even though I have a hard time seeing it.

Study history and how many phone makers there have been. What happened to Nokia?

It's a fast changing world.
    Aug 4, 2015. 05:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buying The Dip In Apple? You're A Market Timer [View article]
    "The rest of the world isn't going to buy a Chinese smart phone."

Thats a phrase to print out and look at in 2 years.

Extremely dangerous assumption.