Robert Freedland

View Robert Freedland's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Playing It Safe With Medtronic [View article]
    Thank you. Every equity has its inherent risks. With MDT reporting results in 10 days, a disappointment would still bring the stock lower. However, valuation-wise, and long-term prospects appear bright.
    Aug 16, 2010. 10:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Informatica Capitalizes on Information Business Growth Potential [View article]
    Thanks for your comment Granger. I guess I look for companies that can execute in this fashion for a long term trend as well.
    Jul 29, 2010. 08:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Greek Lessons for the United States [View article]
    Great article. It is very important for the United States and all global governmental bodies to exercise appropriate fiscal responsibility to deal with their future liabilities and entitlement programs. However, over the short run, the move to austerity will compound problems by slowing the economy further and reducing tax receipts.
    Jul 8, 2010. 07:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Traded Schlumberger for Ecolab [View article]
    JGod,

Excellent point. This WAS a "fear-induced" move. However, whether it was wise or not will depend on how things work out in the future.

The Wall Street Journal wrote up about this effect on energy-service firms: online.wsj.com/article....

Senator Nelson is looking into oil rig regulations: www.marketwatch.com/st....

Simply put, I chose to invest my money elsewhere. I still like Schlumberger for the fine fundamentals this company presents. I do not think that the extent of the environmental disaster is fully appreciated and the risk of being smarter than those who panic is beyond me. Rather than panic, consider that I simply chose to put my funds to work elsewhere.
    May 3, 2010. 09:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Traded Schlumberger for Ecolab [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. I didn't mean to make SLB a 'trade' but sometimes get a bit anxious and bail out. It is interesting that Schlumberger is up today even more than Ecolab. Ecolab, as I noted in my review, is fairly richly valued. I am depending on the economic recovery to provide more opportunities for outperforming expectations and price appreciation for this company.
    May 3, 2010. 10:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Chose Lowe's Over Home Depot [View article]
    Barbara thanks for the comment. It was an AWFUL day for Lowe's today (down about 4%) but of course, the stocks that have done the BEST in the recent past almost always tend to do the WORST on days when the market corrects. I do not know how much room Lowe's has to expand its market. I do think as you do that as the economy recovers, Lowe's is likely to be participating in that recovery. I think Home Depot will also be a good place to park funds as the economy recovers. Which will do better? Your call.
    Apr 27, 2010. 04:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Chose Lowe's Over Home Depot [View article]

Thanks for your comment. I am a big fan of Home Depot (HD) as well. Both stocks are rebounding with the economy and have different characteristics that make them attractive. Unfortunately, I could not own both and chose Lowe's.

Home Depot has traditionally hired experienced tradesmen to act as salesmen offering a bit more value-added with that experience.
    Apr 26, 2010. 02:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Schlumberger [View article]
    Alex,

Great point. In general, assuming a cyclical up and down movement to markets and prices it is totally irrational to sell on a downward swing when ideally you should be buying.

However, my strategy is to avoid the big downward move, something like we witnessed in the latest bear market, utilizing my own stock price movements to dictate a gradual, albeit lagging, switch from equities into cash. I cannot trust my own judgment as there are numerous stocks I would love to be holding and buying.
    Apr 19, 2010. 10:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Schlumberger [View article]
    See below. The error was ALL mine. I posted it wrong in my blog and it was picked up word for word on Seeking Alpha. Original post: bobsadviceforstocks.tr...
    Apr 17, 2010. 11:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Schlumberger [View article]
    Thanks for picking up the typo. I am glad I put the total $ in the comment. Reviewing my brokerage statement, I purchased 42 shares at $65.45 with a $7.95 commission paid in addition.
    Apr 17, 2010. 11:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Schlumberger [View article]
    Thanks for your comment and encouragement. I also believe it to be the 'quality' investment in this oil service industry.
    Apr 17, 2010. 10:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought Schlumberger [View article]
    Alex,
    I appreciate your critique of my trading policy. However, I am trying to accomplish more than managing an individual investment. I am also attempting to utilize the market action of my individual stocks to assist me in timing the market. That is, by monitoring the behavior of my own holdings I shift from equities into cash and back again.

If a holding declines to a selling point that I have predetermined rather arbitrarily I sell that holding and do NOT reinvest the cash unless I am at my minimal level of investment which is 5 positions. Even then, I replace those holdings with a holding of small absolute size thus reducing my exposure to equities even in that minimal exposure posture.

This approach is my own work and quite frankly I do not know if it will or won't work over the long haul. Thus my blog.

Thanks so much for commenting. Please feel free to follow-up with another question which I shall once again try to respond to in as coherent a fashion as possible.
    Apr 17, 2010. 10:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Walgreen: What Drove It Lower [View article]
    I am holding onto my WAG shares. Long-term they continue to be positioned well in most markets, financials are outstanding, and the dip in same-store sales just simply appears that they are NOT immune to the overall retail weakness affecting us in this slow-down. Thanks for the comment.
    Feb 11, 2010. 04:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ‘Maxxing’ Out on TJX Companies [View article]
    I am an owner of TJX shares. Yet, even with the low p/e (about 15), and the 14% same store sales rise this past month, the stock is trading as if the momentum players are 'tired' of this equity. I am not seeing the oomph I would expect from this company with great news. I am exercising great patience but wonder if others are noticing the lack of conviction in the trading behavior of this holding.
    Feb 11, 2010. 11:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ResMed: A Stand Out in Recent Market Correction [View article]
    Yes ResMed is a buy. If possible a purchase on a pull-back would be advisable, but I find little to fault in this company which serves an under-served market of sleep apnea patients, is producing growing revenue and earnings, raising estimates, and generating free cash in the face of a pristine balance sheet. If anything, I would ask management why they do not add a dividend!
    Feb 10, 2010. 08:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment