Robert Freedland

View Robert Freedland's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Is Cisco Undervalued? [View article]
    Thank you all for your comments. My observation is that there is a divergence between results and the stock price. When the investment community recognizes this disparity that the stock price may well catch up.

It is hard to justify investing in a stock that has gone nowhere for ten years, but it may be the wise investor who identifies value in a company with a low p/e, a PEG just over 1.0, a company generating abundant free cash flow with a solid balance sheet that is initiating a dividend. I do not think that the future is grim for Cisco.

I previously wrote up Amazon which missed slightly in revenue and was literally taken to the cleaners. This stock seems to be priced where it will be hard to disappoint.

Thanks you all again for taking the time to contribute your thoughts to this article.
    Jan 27 07:40 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Focus On Skyworks Solutions [View article]
    The entire point about Covestor is to not invest like a blind monkey. We can hear claims and point and counterpoint from a variety of investors on Seeking Alpha and elsewhere. To Covestor's credit, transparency means posting results and performance every single trading day. I don't know who on this website actually bought Skyworks or Gilead or any other big name investment. I do know that every single trade on Covestor is verified and that performance is real.

But I do confess that my own performance since inception has lagged the S&P as many a fund has. However, I would encourage investors to visit Covestor and view some of my other Models as well as the 140 other Models on the site from a variety of individuals both Professional as well as Individual Investors working through sharing their own investment results to increase value for both themselves and their 'followers'.
    May 5 09:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Focus On Skyworks Solutions [View article]
    I was never advocating to invest only in a single stock. In my Growth and Momentum Model I own 20 stocks including SWKS but I also own shares of QCOM another great company worth considering. But you are correct that if one wishes to invest in a sector as such, buying a group of stocks is a smart way to go! Thanks for commenting.
    May 4 12:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Holding Stocks Long Term [View article]
    Thanks Roger! You are very kind. Seems like we sort of started blogging together years ago.
    Apr 27 08:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett's Cancer And What It Means For Investors [View article]
    Brad,

Thank you for your kind comments. I wish that prostate cancer were less frequent. It is a difficult problem for so many of my friends and acquaintances and deciding what to do is also a challenge.

In general, I have come to the view that more aggressive treatment is reasonable (?) for younger patients, that is in their early 60's, 50's or younger. This often means radical prostatectomy with all that entails. Recent evidence suggests that the robotic approach may have less side effects. However, nothing is guaranteed.

The very elderly (80's or older) may often defer treatment. They will likely die from some other cause. Those in their 70's may well opt for radiation therapy. Even some of those opt for surgery.

There is no right answer on this question. I am not worried about Buffett's early demise. He is 81 and will likely succumb from something else rather than his prostate cancer.

I recently read of focused ultrasound as a possible treatment that is being explored in the UK. Clearly there will be better options as time goes on. I am glad that at least there is hope for treatment and better results with time. Prostate Cancer especially Stage 1 is rarely a death sentence.

Good luck with your friends and thanks for your kind words.
    Apr 21 12:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Leaving Seeking Alpha... [View instapost]
    Good luck to you Boaz with your future endeavors! Have you talked to Perry Blacher over at Covestor about any opportunities they might have in New York? Perry is a really great guy and Covestor has offices in both New York and London.

In any case, you have your priorities right and family comes ahead of all else. Wishing you and yours the best today and in the future.
    Feb 9 02:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon's Moat May Actually Justify Its Valuation [View article]
    All excellent points.

My point is simply that sometimes there are companies, and Amazon is one, that have developed the infrastructure including the organization, to deliver a service or product that in itself is the moat we discuss.

My final paragraphy suggests that with the price as rich as it is it might be wise to wait for a market pull-back to invest. It appears as if we were handed one today with the disappointment in the earnings report.

I expect that we will see Amazon settle down and then rebound to higher highs in the near future.

Thank you all again for taking the time to add to the discussion on this entry!
    Jan 27 07:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Baxter Appears Very Reasonably Valued [View article]
    David,

Great point. It doesn't really qualify as an 'aristocrat' but worth a look for a variety of reasons.

Thanks for commenting!
    Nov 12 06:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Colgate: A Comfort Stock for Today's Economy [View article]
    Colgate (CL) has indeed struggled technically in the recent trading days. I am comfortable with its long-term prospects and believe it will work out well over time.
    Oct 15 12:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Playing It Safe With Medtronic [View article]
    Thank you. Every equity has its inherent risks. With MDT reporting results in 10 days, a disappointment would still bring the stock lower. However, valuation-wise, and long-term prospects appear bright.
    Aug 16 10:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Walgreen: What Drove It Lower [View article]
    Satyr,

Great comment! Our community in Wisconsin is becoming saturated with three Walgreen's for a town of 50,000. Yet they are the most accessible, with 24 hr pharmacy access adjacent to the local hospital, and do have a very good mix of merchandise. There is little "morality" about product selection as they prominently display their tobacco products at the check-out right next to their smoking cessation material.

Somehow there is likely to be a merger of online/mail-order PBM products with bricks and mortar establishments. As long as people need the various sundries of daily life, I believe Walgreen will prosper. As you note, even they are not immune to the retail slow-down where people are simply not buying as much 'stuff' as before.

Again I appreciate your thoughtful contribution to this discussion.
    Feb 7 03:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • PetSmart: Buying When Others Are Selling [View article]
    Thank you for your comments.

Indeed they market hamsters, fish, and birds quite well.

Most important they were able to grow their company. Even if this represents inflation effects, just staying still in this recession is an accomplishment. I do not know if my own trade against the market will be successful, but I believe the problems at PetSmart might be overstated---at least from my amateur perspective.
    May 25 06:27 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Selling Sysco [View article]
    Ed K.,

It was with great regret that I parted ways with Sysco (SYY). I plan on revisiting this one as a stockholder as soon as I can. In fact, I have slightly modified my own trading strategy to allow for a (12)% loss tolerance with these five minimum positions.

Long-term, it is useful to identify companies like Sysco that can generate consistent returns, revenue growth, and are not subject to the whims of fashion or cyclical trends.

Thank you for your kind words and I would encourage you to visit my blog where many more entries are posted and where I discuss some of my own struggles with developing a rational approach to investing in irrational times.
    Mar 4 10:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Bought AT&T Despite Less than Stellar Earnings [View article]
    Jackoo,

I paid cash.

I was laughing along with you. Out loud even. My trading portfolio is a portion of my investment holdings in which I try to utilize my own investment strategy in implementing my own approach to buying and selling stocks and identifying useful ideas for myself and others.

It is a common comment on this website to heap ridicule on small amounts of stock purchased or sold. Wisdom does not come from the size of one's transactions any more than from one's belt size.

I hope that I have not wasted your time on these miniscule trades and that you return quickly to your own investment pursuits of far more worthy transactions.

Feb 24 02:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold My Shares of Microsoft and WMS Industries [View article]
    Photo,

It isn't about what makes me happy, although I am glad you are concerned about my good humor. I also appreciate the 'bigger picture' on Microsoft. I do not think Microsoft is going to go bankrupt or disappear from the software scene. I do believe the stock represents great value and shall likely reward investors who are patient and can see far into the future. It is just that my own idionsyncratic trading system requires me to carefully add positions and manage those holdings just as closely. My Microsoft purchase was just for a trade because just like you, I believe that the value after the earnings announcement, was quite compelling and that a rally in the share price would likely result. I simply chose to take that money off the table without my sale being a condemnation of the Microsoft stock which as you will note continued to move even a little higher today.

Feb 5 05:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment