Robert Friedenberg

View Robert Friedenberg's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Exxon Mobil Is Not A Great Choice [View article]
    Nice job.

Well thought out but in all fairness XOM is more than 5 times larger than OXY and COP. Twice CVX.

Sometimes big is very important especially if you are producing in deep waters offshore and have a disaster. The BP spill might put OXY and COP out of business.

XOM is the Rolls Royce of the group and CVX the Mercedes
    Jul 23 12:08 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil Is Not A Great Choice [View article]
    Yes, XOM is one of the largest companies in the world and that's the main reason for owning it long term.

XOM and CVX still might spinoff their downstream to their shareholders as did COP but even more important they are the only American oil companies that have enough assets to protect their shareholders from bankruptcy from a Valdez or BP type oil spill.

It's really hard not to pick Chevron, however, comparing COP and OXY is like the NY Yankees to a college team.
    Jul 23 02:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Fill'er Up At Wawa [View article]
    My understanding is that MUR want to exit the refining biz and concentrate on exploration and production so I wouldn't be surprised if the sold their gas station operations.
    Jul 23 10:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Fill'er Up At Wawa [View article]
    I lived in Upper Darby in the early 1940s and I remember their milk trucks.

I live near Atlantic City and they have several mega gas stations here and building more.
    Jul 19 02:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Fill'er Up At Wawa [View article]
    I don't know much about ETP but my dad worked for Sunoco for about 50 years and I also worked for them out in the field in Texas and Louisiana and on their services stations in Philadelphia during college.

I think Sunoco made a good move getting out of the exploration business and later refining when they couldn't make money.

The transportation of natural gas, crude and refined products via pipelines is a good move and is protected from the problems I've discussed in my article.

It could be a nice pay day for the ETP shareholders if they sell or spinoff Sunoco's 4000 service stations.
    Jul 19 01:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Fill'er Up At Wawa [View article]
    Wawa is well known in NJ, PA as the quality convenience store. It's hard to dive a mile or two without seeing one, however, what's important for the oil business is that they are building Mega Gas Service Centers to will change where people buy their gas because they are selling it for less.

Wawa Inc. is a chain of convenience store/gas stations located along the East Coast of the United States. It operates in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, New York, Maryland, Virginia, and Florida. Wawa is the largest convenience store chain in Greater Philadelphia, and it is also the third largest retailer of food in Greater Philadelphia, after ACME Markets and ShopRite.
    Jul 19 10:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Fill'er Up At Wawa [View article]
    It's a big country and VLO and MPC might do well but on the east coast Wawa is building mega stations to service more cars at a time than the old stations with just a couple of pumps.

My point is that who, where, how gas is refined and sold is changing.

Who would have thought that Hess and Sunoco would close their refineries and import their gas?
    Jul 19 06:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil Or Chevron For The Long Term [View article]
    When the last men are standing, I would bet that you will see XOM, CVX and BP.

I would include COP.

They have the financial resources and technical skills.
    Jun 16 06:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil Or Chevron For The Long Term [View article]
    Great question and I would say that it depends on your age and income needs at the time.

I'm almost 80 so I'm interested in current income and protection of the downside so growth isn't as important.

However, no matter the age, I would go with a XOM and CXV as the anchors, MRO for the Bakken, SU for the Canadian Tar Sands and SLB as the only service company.

I would avoid all of the service companies except SLB.

If I were 20 years younger, I would also include BP which is selling at deep discount because of their oil spill.

If I were 40 or 50 years younger, I would be following the small start ups and investing with a few of them.
    Jun 16 06:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil Or Chevron For The Long Term [View article]
    Smart at 19?

MY Dad put me on an oil tanker in Philly and sent me to work for Sunoco in a swamp for the summer.

Smart?
    Jun 14 10:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil Or Chevron For The Long Term [View article]
    I think an article on the history of SXL would be great.

I worked for Sunoco in the swamps of Louisiana in 1954 after my first year at Penn State.

I'm going to do an article on Valero and why Sunoco sold their Philadelphia refineries.
    Jun 14 07:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil Or Chevron For The Long Term [View article]
    BP is a great move if you can take the risk.
    Jun 14 05:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Apartment Building Covered Call Strategy [View article]
    Thanks....$42 X 2000=$84K
    Apr 25 07:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Carbonate Triangle's Athabasca Investment Guide: Suncor Energy Edition - Part 2 [View article]
    Super article.

I worked for Sunoco in the 50s when they were pioneering the tar sands.

Suncor's reserves puts them right up there with the majors but the great risk is their cost of production.

OPEC could close them down overnight if they decided to flood the market with oil as they did in the mid 1980s.

Iraq, Iran and several other countries must sell their oil at any price or see their cities burn.

I have been an investor in SU and plan to buy it again as a result of your article.
    Jul 23 03:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fill'er Up At Wawa [View article]
    You hit the nail on the head for AZ.

The only things that matters to a gas customer is its availability and its price.

However, this is causing all sorts of problems for the owners of refineries who have to compete with foreign national oil companies who are purchasing refineries in TX that can refine their own crude or import their own refined gas to send to AZ by pipeline.

That's why ETP is a good investment. They make the same amount no matter who's liquids are in their pipelines.
    Jul 19 01:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment