Robert McDonald

View Robert McDonald's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Apple: All-Glass iPhone 5 Draws One Step Closer [View article]
    Thanks for the very interesting information. I appreciate the homework by Endgadget and yourself on Apple's patent office filings. Good approach to new info! Folks should be aware that patents are not public until they are officially filed vs being provisional which can be a 6 month delay or greater with renewals if I remember correctly.

I have to believe that Corning is indeed the likely supplier of this new glass casing and that the type of glass used will again be one of the well engineered proprietary products like Gorilla glass used in iPhone facings and iPad screens. I am a long term holder of Corning as a conservative dividend stock.
    Mar 23 01:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Tech Champion's In Trouble [View article]
    Add the slow take off of Google Wallet and the rethinking of the strategy to their problems: http://bloom.bg/GFCTzR
    Mar 22 03:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Better Value For The Buck Than Google [View article]
    Thanks for elegant and useful analysis of Apple vs. Google. Great demonstration that simple is better.

Also see this credible article in Forbes which says Apple going to $1650: http://stks.co/2zRL.

I would also refer the reader to Apple earnings forecasts by top indie blogger/forecaster Horace Dideu http://stks.co/2zeJ. He is forecasting Q2 April revenues at $42.7B (UP 73%),and EPS: $12.0 (UP 88%). Predictable growth like this reinforces an earnings forecast of $53 per share for Fiscal 2012 ending in Sept. At a reasonable P/E of 20:1 this gives a share price prediction of $1060 by year end.

I sold my remaining Google this morning, with the exception of 10 shares so that I still get invited to shareholder meetings, and bought more Apple stock. This analysis was the tipping point.

I have been thinking about selling the last of my Google for sometime as the bad news keeps piling up. This includes the Motorola buy and ensuing layoffs -- a disaster, lawsuits with Oracle over Java theft and with Apple over mobile IP theft, overpriced vs AAPL as pointed out in this article, privacy issues to the point where governments are getting involved, conflicts with book publishers, large investor and management dumping stock, selling maps at outrageous prices, failure to monetize mobile ads, lack of focus (driverless cars), lack of help on Gmail, Android and other products when having problems - only user forums, Google TV failure and finally Google + is not really taking off as expected.
    Mar 21 03:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons Apple Cash Will Boost Apple Shares, Markets And Economy [View article]
    Thanks for original ideas on how the Apple dividend helps the US economy. Of course they help the US in many other ways given the positive cash flow into the US vs. Samsung and the growing US employment base they have.

I sold the last of my Google this morning and bought more Apple stock based in part on this very nice, simple and useful analysis also published on SA: http://bit.ly/GDTNDe

I have been thinking about selling the last of my Google for sometime as the bad news kept piling up. This includes the Motorola buy and ensuing layoffs -- a disaster, lawsuits with Oracle over Java theft and with Apple over mobile IP theft, overpriced vs aapl as pointed out in referenced SA article, privacy issues to point governments getting involved, conflicts with book publishers, large investor and management dumping stock, selling maps at outrageous prices, failure to monetize mobile ads, lack of focus (driverless cars), Google TV failure and finally Google + is not really taking off as expected. with the proceeds.
    Mar 21 11:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Effect Of Apple's Dividend Announcement On The Future [View article]
    Very nice, simple and useful analysis. I have been thinking about selling the last of my Google for sometime as the bad news keeps piling up. This includes the Motorola buy and ensuing layoffs -- a disaster, lawsuits with Oracle over Java theft and with Apple over mobile IP theft, overpriced vs aapl as you point out, privacy issues to point governments getting involved, conflicts with book publishers, large investor and management dumping stock, selling maps at outrageous prices, failure to monetize mobile ads, lack of focus (driverless cars) and finally Google + is not really taking off as expected. This quick and powerful analysis was the last straw. I sold the last of my GOOG this AM and bought more Apple stock to compliment my LEAPs with the proceeds. Also see this credible article in Forbes which says Apple going to $1650: http://stks.co/2zRL
    Mar 21 11:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 'Resolutionary' New iPad: A Disappointment? [View article]
    Like to see that analysis of mobile computing components -- where will it be posted?
    Mar 8 11:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nuance Communications' Acquisition Of Transcend Is A Stellar Deal [View article]
    Siri iPad being widely adopted in the medical field for patient record keeping. Sure would like to know what kind of revenue stream Nuance gets from Apple -- Anyone know?
    Mar 8 10:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 'Resolutionary' New iPad: A Disappointment? [View article]
    Analysts are only right about half the time.
    Mar 7 10:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 'Resolutionary' New iPad: A Disappointment? [View article]
    Accurate dictation is a very big deal and enables the next step of intelligent value added responses to queries and requests. Just wait until the Aps adopt Siri and dictation for all kinds of things.
    Mar 7 10:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 'Resolutionary' New iPad: A Disappointment? [View article]
    Apple is so well managed they do not add features or new technology to consumer devices before its time. This is why LTE was not in the iPhone 4S, the low power processors for LTE were not there yet and still aren't for the small geometries in the phone but they will be there by the time of iPhone 5 in the Fall thanks to our friends at QCOM.

Due disclosure very long in AAPL and long in QCOM
    Mar 7 09:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 'Resolutionary' New iPad: A Disappointment? [View article]
    Great feedback on use of Siri in the medical field. Thank you. I am not surprised on the utility based on Siri's almost perfect dictation for lengthy emails or text messages even in a moving car.. The part of Siri you like, the dicatation part, is already on board in the new iPad.

I am sure the other part will come along soon -- it has to be high priority. I am sure Apple is monitoring Siri's screwups on a daily basis, paretoing the root causes and going after permanent fixes. The great thing is that this can all be done in the cloud and sent back down at the right time. We are now moving at warp vs just internet speed now with all this connectivity, low cost storage, sleuthey algorithms and processor power.
    Mar 7 09:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Let The Pullback Begin [View article]
    Short term lucky, long term loosing money using these strategies. Try long term LEAPs instead. Up 180-200% vs year ago with similar results since the market bottomed in 2009, 3 years ago.
    Mar 7 10:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Signs Apple Shares May Rebound To New Highs, Again [View article]
    Sounds like a cover for stock price manipulation using high speed trading.
    Mar 6 10:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Signs Apple Shares May Rebound To New Highs, Again [View article]
    We do not need to have a short squeeze to drive Apple stock higher. Stocks go up for lots of reasons and a short squeeze is only one of them. The lack of shorts says folks are smart enough not to bet against this puppy. Those who are holding their shorts are likely to loose their shirts.
    Mar 6 10:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Expecting Another Buy Opportunity Following iPad 3 Announcement [View article]
    Thanks for the compilation of stock pricing vs. Apple product announcements. It is a useful compilation and indeed it is important to reflect on history.

I am of the opinion that Apple is in new territory with many waking up to the fact that Apple's growth is real and here to stay. I also see that many are becoming aware of the fact that the stock is very underpriced vs. overpriced. With a forward P/E of less than 11 and a PEG of less 0.3 Apple pricing remains a coiled spring ready to pop higher at any time. I would rather bet on the latter than bet on a short term dip as part of a product announcement. I think it is a whole lot safer and likely to be much more productive.

Thanks to the residue from the "flash crash" I just picked up some more Jan 2014 LEAPS at what I perceive to be a discount.
    Mar 6 10:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment