Robert Weinstein

View Robert Weinstein's Comments BY TICKER:
  • J.C. Penney Is Last Year's Fashion This Earnings Season [View article]
    Hi Jack,

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts.

I have visited JCP recently as part of my research. That's great that it's opening stores (it should be), but the only thing keeping the closure rate as low as it is, is the leases holding the company at losing locations.

Look, I understand many don't want to read anything but a refilling of the punch bowl, and it's sad too, because it costs retailer investors a lot of money.

I couldn't care less which way the stock moves and don't have an axe to grind with JCP. In fact, I wrote several bullish pieces in the last year. But I call them like I see em' and all the hope in the world doesn't change the fact the company is losing money and many never gain profitability again.

That said, I hope it does and you make a ton from your investment
    Aug 9 12:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Reigns As King Of The Internet Into Earnings [View article]
    Hi Deal,

"when there are thousands of others that seem just like you blasting out endless short term calls"... That's a good point and one I wish more would think about.

I normally point out the time frame, but as a rule, unless I state otherwise, my articles are written for the investor, not the trader.

You're right, there is a lot of opinion out there and anyone who states it's easy to figure out who to take seriously and who to dismiss is welcome to explain to me why it's easy for them. It's a lot of work, but needed if you're going to follow more than one company (can't do all the work yourself, unless you're full time).

That said, some things to consider:

- How long have they been at it?

- Are they investors who also write, or writers that may (or may not even) invest

- Randomly pick a few articles going back at least a year and see what the performance would be like based on your own investment objectives. Don't cherry pick though, or your results have a greater chance of being skewed.

- Ignore your own biases and ask if the opinion makes sense, and is unique. We all know Cisco is a great company, but it doesn't mean the stock will go up. i.e. "who's left to buy to create buying pressure?"

Enjoy your weekend.

Bob
    Aug 8 12:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Reigns As King Of The Internet Into Earnings [View article]
    Hi Dodger,

That's a good question and one I ask myself often. In most cases, analysts are not allowed to have a position to avoid personal bias. If you read my pieces at http://bit.ly/1AYhv6r you will quickly see I've been bullish on MSFT for quite some time.

That said, i sit in front of monitors all day so I have the luxury of entering and exiting frequently. As stated in my disclosure, I don't have a position in any ticker mentioned.

Hopefully, my track record speaks for itself and that will motivate you to learn more about my calls, but regardless, I thank you all the same for reading and taking the time to post your thoughts. Have a great weekend

Bob
    Aug 7 04:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Reigns As King Of The Internet Into Earnings [View article]
    Hi Goal,

Nice catch and thank you.
    Aug 7 12:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Groupon Is Reporting Earnings, But It's Not A Bargain Yet [View article]
    Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts.

Best of luck to you. It's simple math really at its core. If the options are pricing in X move and it moves X + anything, selling is a losing proposition. "expensive" is relative.

And yes, time decay is fully factored in. I suggest a great book by Scott Nations titled "Options math for traders" if you want to learn how to calculate expected price moves in a given amount of time. It's a great primer before you move into the real heavy lifting.

That said, I'm short premium on a continuous basis and live on Theta
    Aug 4 11:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GT Advanced Technologies Reports Soon, But Holiday Numbers May Mean More [View article]
    Thanks Gary.

I will do so.

Enjoy your weekend!

Bob
    Aug 2 08:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you Wittgenstein. Very kind.
    Aug 2 08:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your kind words. One of the best and really, required reading is Options Math for Traders by Scott Nations.

Once you understand the math behind the "mystery", you can quantify which types of positions are most advantageous.

Bob
    Aug 2 08:30 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Inside,

Thanks for reading and your kind words, I appreciate it!

You're right, you can never discount guidance. The last quarter's results, maybe, but guidance is key.

Enjoy your weekend

Bob
    Aug 2 08:26 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Zynga's Earnings Are A Non-Event [View article]
    Hi Steveto,

Thanks for reading and chiming in.

You make a good point I want to highlight and commend you for. When a stock is not performing as expected or reaches your stop loss, get out and look for other opportunities.

We're not here to predict the future, only the odds. If you want success, you need a plan that includes an exit strategy if things go poorly as they WILL from time to time.

Later, if you take another look and decide it's now a good investment, forget about "breaking even", or past events. It's a new investment again without a memory.

As I stated earlier, ZNGA isn't a risk-free investment and accepting the risk is the first step towards insuring your portfolio grows over the long-run.
    Jul 30 08:48 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Zynga's Earnings Are A Non-Event [View article]
    Hi Mr. Unknown,

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment.

I think your point is more semantics than material because clearly Zynga is capable of operating in any capacity it chooses, including gaining licenses in other jurisdictions to include EU.

But if you really want to get technical, the contract is with Bwin.party Digital Entertainment Plc.

Party Poker is only a brand of Bwin.party Digital Entertainment Plc
    Jul 30 08:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Zynga's Earnings Are A Non-Event [View article]
    Thanks for reading and your kind words.

I have a "slightly" larger position, and remain cautiously very optimistic in our prospects to realize gains.
    Jul 30 09:08 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Zynga's Earnings Are A Non-Event [View article]
    Thank you, I appreciate your kind words.

I obviously am in total agreement with you.
    Jul 30 09:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Zynga's Earnings Are A Non-Event [View article]
    Hi Jonathan,

As a real estate broker, I have to agree that the valuation numbers can easily become skewed. That said, it's usually difficult for a company to monetize REO, but I will take a deeper dive in the near future, thanks.
    Jul 30 09:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Zynga's Earnings Are A Non-Event [View article]
    Hi Alliemorgan,

Thanks for reading and I appreciate your opinion.

I do believe P/E is always important, especially when viewed from a forward P/E as I have here. At the end of the day, people invest in expected earnings, not sales. P/E's importance may be diminished in a fast growing company/space, but absent rapid growth, earnings is the dominating metric I use. Also I account for an adjustment due to the special situation Zynga presents.

I caution you to be very careful with your train of thought that a falling stock shifts a hold into a buy. Also, most of the last analyst action has been to raise the price target.

We both agree the stock is a buy and has great potential. But it's not risk-free. If you're not mentally able to believe the shares can possibly fall under $2, you shouldn't be in it.

You may ask why I take such a conservative stance in my comment. There's one common theme throughout all my articles, especially ones that I have a position in - I never hype and/or try to pump. I'm building a long-term reputation. That's why my articles and comments have a steady hand.
    Jul 30 09:01 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment