Robert Weinstein

View Robert Weinstein's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why Zynga's Earnings Are A Non-Event [View article]
    Thanks for your kind words Simplestuff. I covered Zynga extensively at TheStreet, including over a year ago when I was bearish (and correct).

Mattrick really dropped the ball at the MS Conf, but I doubt that mistake will be made twice. I normally cut and run fast when a stock isn't performing as expected, but I see the long-term value that sitting on my hands can produce.
    Jul 29 06:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Zynga's Earnings Are A Non-Event [View article]
    Zynga already has RMG and expanded within the last year through Facebook.

It offers poker and casino type games and is licensed in the U.K. All it will take is an announcement that they are expanding into another sizable market and the stock will explode. That's why I wrote is has a binary upside to it.
    Jul 29 06:52 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ford Races Past Tesla And GM Into Earnings [View article]
    Thanks, I appreciate your kind words.
    Jul 17 10:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Does Verizon Sound Good Into Earnings Compared To AT&T And Sprint? [View article]
    DoctoRx,

Thanks for reading and commenting.

You're correct, but there are a lot of investors that could use more knowledge.

I'm bullish. If I owned it, I wouldn't get out. That said, if I was looking at VZ or T, I would pick T because it pays a higher dividend yield and the rest of the metrics are more or less spiting hairs in my opinion.

Best

Bob
    Jul 17 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Knows How To Deliver Against Google And Microsoft Into Earnings [View article]
    You may want to take a look at Xbox sales and rethink what "we do know".

Also, take a look at revenue and profits. The chart moves from the bottom left to the upper right, so "we do know" it's doing something correct.

My thoughts on Amazon's phone http://bit.ly/1oIeyh0

Best of luck.
    Jul 16 11:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Good point, but many BlackBerry investors laughed at AAPL and GOOG at first too.

That said, I don't believe the AMZN phone will cut deeply into Apple http://bit.ly/1oIeyh0

But, that doesn't mean it can't.
    Jul 16 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    As disclosed, I don't have a position in MSFT, but I wrote many articles about MSFT in the last two years, all bullish and all correct.

"if only 5% of them bought an iWatch" - I think 1% is a huge win. 5%? I would not bet on that.

That said, I believe AAPL is a great stock for its yield.

Best of luck.
    Jul 16 11:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Continues To Beat Apple, Pandora, And Google Into Earnings [View article]
    Thanks for your kind words, I appreciate it.
    Jul 15 11:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your comment Slim,

Just a quick note to say that subscription revenue trumps ad revenue by a long shot. Not even close.

If you can get a credit card, you're much better off than trying to monetize through ads.
    Jul 15 10:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for reading and adding to the conversation.

Very true, if it delivers a significant beat and guides higher than expected, shorts will scramble to cover.
    Jul 15 12:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay's Earnings, Amazon's Misery [View article]
    You're welcome Michael,

Correct, Alibaba is big in China, but is also big in America (and rest of world) as a wholesale sourcing site. If it wasn't for Yahoo, most non-importers probably would have never heard of it.

Alibaba's model is closer to ebay in that their main model is putting buyers and sellers together. That said, the fees it charges are magnitudes lower than Amazon and when you put the pieces together - 120 P/E, exploding employee count, diminishing returns due to scale, several large businesses (Kindle, Prime, and others) that are losing money, and competitors that are improving (TGT, WMT, SHLD), you have a situation where the risk outweighs the reward.

And that is the key. It's not that Amazon CAN'T continue higher, it's that I believe the potential reward isn't large enough to justify the massive risk. This is a stock that could get cut in half and still be expensive. One caveat, I also think it will enjoy a relatively high multiple as long as customer service remains strong. People tend to hold stocks they like and that provides a lifting effect, but just not 100+ multiple.

Best of luck
    Jul 15 09:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay's Earnings, Amazon's Misery [View article]
    Hi Ebitda,

Yes, they do have brand recognition for sure.

That said, it didn't take five years for Amazon and Apple to destroy BlackBerry's share price. Keep in mind that the market is forward looking.

Best of luck
    Jul 14 05:09 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay's Earnings, Amazon's Misery [View article]
    Great question Michael,

Many sellers on Ebay and Amazon already use Alibaba for sourcing. It's a small step to using the same site/look and feel for selling.

As consumers, you may not heard of /much about Alibaba, but online merchants know it well. Remember, Alibaba is bigger than eBay and Amazon combined in product sales terms. It also happens to be busy hiring US talent. 11main isn't the problem. fear of losing 25% of sales isn't a problem (not right away). The problem is Amazon's 120 P/E multiple that is supported based on investor's belief that revenue will continue growing rapidly.

All it will take is a slowing of revenue guidance and margin compression to nose-dive the stock price. We've seen this movie too many times to not remember how it ends.
    Jul 14 05:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay's Earnings, Amazon's Misery [View article]
    Hi Dsh,

"People have been saying this for the past 20 years, and Amazon has gone from $1 to $350." - while somewhat true, I haven't. Also, I like Amazon, I use it all the time, but I separate the store from the stock.

"People have been saying this for the past 20 years, and Amazon has gone from $1 to $350." - I suggest you read The Black Swan. The ground is shifting.

Finally, Shorting AMZN on its way up the first time above $300 was one of my best calls in my option newsletter http://bit.ly/1kWIZ1K

Best of luck and I hope you do well.
    Jul 14 04:58 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay's Earnings, Amazon's Misery [View article]
    Hi Bobbert,

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts.

I think you're missing the whole point. It's not about Amazon losing much in terms of sales. In fact, from the consumer point of view, little may change.

However, the stock is a buzz lightyear, priced to perfection and beyond. Amazon's growth only needs to stop for the stock to fall in half. Add margin compression and the red ink may flow like a river. There is no room for error in execution, growth, or earnings, zero....

Meanwhile, investors are focusing on drones that may go into service in 5 to 7 years from now (and even then in limited areas). Amazon is the classic focus on reward and dismiss the risk type of stock here. A fire-breathing dragon is at the door knocking and if Amazon was priced at 25 times earnings it wouldn't be a big deal, but it isn't and so it is a big deal.

Best of luck and when the music stops, don't delay finding a chair.
    Jul 14 01:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment