Robert Weinstein

View Robert Weinstein's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Sprint Hangs Up on PlayBook 4G, Research In Motion Searches for Another Partner [View article]
    Hello Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

I appreciate your response and hope you will reply to this one as well. Hopefully this comment will not come off as argumentative and will as part of the discussion as I intend it to.

Ok, So I was thinking the same thing about Android and RIM. It would appear to me that at least one offering (perhaps the playbook which would have quickly brought in so many free apps) under the Andriod system would have been a good risk vs reward.

I believe you made some strong points about the cons except in one part which I agreed with. HTC and Samsung are doing well with Android. I see that as further evidence that RIM management has dropped the ball for shareholders counting on them to make the correct choices. I would have believed that RIM was/is positioned better than HTC (although that appears to be fading quickly) to produce an Android product.

Thanks

Aug 14, 2011. 12:25 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Keep Emotion Out of Trading [View article]
    Hello Sirius,

Thank you for reading my article.

"You just totally contradicted yourself", no, having a set time limit is not required in having a written plan. Most of my written plans ( I have one for each type of trade/signal) are usually based on price action, not on time. I have written rules of entry, and written rules of exit (including stops and profit targets), and I generally do not exit a trade due to a "time stop".

I hope this has cleared up any confusion you may have had with having written rules.

Best,

Aug 13, 2011. 01:45 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hello Gene,

Thank you for reading my article and taking the time to comment.

"initial reaction has been pretty good." Well, you may be correct, but "pretty good" is not nearly enough to help RIM right now. If you don't believe me, you can ask the former senior vice president for business marketing and alliances, and the former vice president of platform product marketing (I see no need to include their names) who are now no longer with RIM.

"...do more research before writing..." I wrote two articles, this one, and the one in June, when I called RIM a short. The stock has not once closed at a price higher than the time I wrote the article, and it is down more than 25% since. I am comfortable allowing readers to decide who has done the better research.

I wish you the best of luck and perhaps they will not only beat this quarter but continue to do so. I don't wish any ill will on RIM (or the investors), I am simply calling the game as I see it played out.

Best

Aug 13, 2011. 01:10 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Companies to Consider That Are Reporting Earnings on Tuesday Part I [View article]
    Hello Ocean,

Thank you for reading my article and taking the time to comment. While I did spend more than 2 minutes with that stock, I will agree that I failed in writing about that stock. No question about it and I fully admit it.

I recall when it was announced, reading about it, and normally I don't think I would make this type of mistake. I wrote the article late at night, and after being away from the office for family reasons I was trying to catch up by burning the candle at both ends. Clearly the lack of sleep caught up to me.

Even without the lack of sleep I am sure with the hundreds of companies that I look at I am likely to make an error (even dumb ones) now and then. I have learned from this experience, and improved my methods as a result.

Respectfully,

Jul 31, 2011. 09:10 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Serious Look at Sirius After Its Fall Below $2 [View article]
    Hello Rick,

Thanks for reading and for the warning. I have written several articles about SIRI and others that have drawn a highly emotional response. I understand why they personally attack and actually look forward to it. Its when solid reasoning is commented against you that lets you know there is actually something to worry about.

I don't know if it was by luck or design that you wrote a negative article about SIRI but it has an ownership level of about one million shareholders. This means that you will be a hero if you write positive things about it and a zero if you write negative things. It matters not your previous performance, reasoning, or time frame. Most retail traders use emotion to make decisions and logic to justify them. Once in a while a SIRI will come along and many will declare how smart they are (forgetting the many losers before, during and after).

Siri has very few years left of churning over customers until they reach a point of churning that results in an implosion of revenue with expenses remaining relatively static. It will become obvious to professionals first and by the time the average person who bashed your article figures it out they will have already gone from a winner to a loser trade.

Wireless internet without all the legacy costs is expanding in area and shrinking in costs year after year, month after month. Some have figured this out and some have not or disagree. History has not treated those who don't believe in progress very well for very long.

Best to you

Jun 20, 2011. 06:02 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Shorts and Longs 'Manipulate' the Market and Why You Should Ignore Them Both [View article]
    It is the short selling day traders that are the real problem. If only they would be put in front of a firing squad all would be well. Many countries ban short selling by retail traders which is a great idea. This is especially so if you are working at an exchange and don't have to compete with all those pesky day traders to short with.

Look at China and their leadership in banning short selling. Their markets did not allow short selling and the market kept going higher and higher. At least it did until it didn't and when it did go down there were no short sellers to cover their trades so it went down fast and hard. China now allows short selling to add liquidity and stability to the market. These are two words that are not often used in the press here about short selling
    Jun 8, 2011. 08:31 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 11 Stocks That Recently Raised Their Dividend [View article]
    Hello Mpmassey,

Thanks for taking the time to read my article and share your thoughts.

You are correct that we are talking about opinions but I would respectfully disagree. If the best use of capital that management can find is buying back its own shares of stock, it doesn't justify their usually large salaries. I know a lot of investors love to hear about buyback programs, but I believe its typically only one step above putting the money in a savings account.

In order to earn their paycheck I want to see management come up with ways to really add value to the company. Unless it is a financial industry company, management is paid to produce a product or service that is not related to money management. They should stick with what they know and not try to be a money manager and focus on running the company.

Just my opinion and I don't mean to sound argumentative.

Have a good weekend

May 27, 2011. 02:31 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Companies to Consider for Monday's Reporting [View article]
    Hello Paul,

Thank you for reading my article and taking the time to comment.

I am not nuts, but of course if I was would I know? You may want to re-read the article because I don't believe I intentionally recommended any stock that has been halted. In fact I am very bearish on Chinese stocks in general.

Best to you

May 26, 2011. 03:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Digging Deeper: Clustering and Maximum Pain in the Options Market [View article]
    Hello Mr. Elmer-DeWitt,

I read your article from the link above. In it you make a statement "Retail investors might close out a few thousand in-the-money calls just before expiration to avoid taking possession of the stock, but they don't control enough shares to turn a ship as big as Apple around."

In the beginning you start out with "If you're looking for evidence of manipulation, Friday's close was picture-perfect"

WHAT???? You believe that using a sample size of ONE with a stock that moves about 1.3% during the last 45 minutes of trading on a Friday is evidence of manipulation?? You are joking, correct?

"in a pattern that has become as predicable as rush hour traffic", you are now making money off of this pattern right?
    May 16, 2011. 11:30 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Citigroup Reinstates 1 Cent Dividend [View article]
    I have to say I do agree with the comments. I used to own Citi and would own it again at this price relative to the reverse split.
    With that being said, A price under $40 (via options or otherwise) does seem to be somewhat attractive. Only problem is how many are dumping it simply BECAUSE of the higher price now....
    May 14, 2011. 11:30 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sina Is Overbought vs. Competitors [View article]
    Hello John,

Thank you for reading my article and taking the time to share your thoughts.

Your comment is rather common with the theme "The evil short is the reason why I can't make money".

Before assuming that a short seller is screwing other investors it may be a good idea to look at some of the facts.
    1. Everytime a short sells a stock, the short allows a long to buy at a better price than they otherwise would be able to.
    2. Everytime a short buys back the stock they buy the stock at a higher price then the long would otherwise be able to sell at.
    3. If a short is wrong and the value of the company is higher than the current price being shorted then longs get to buy a company "on the cheap"

You used the words "negative article". Not incorrect, wrong, or nonfactual. You are basically argueing that the truth should not be printed. I don't recall you commenting that I should not say positive things about stocks that I owned.

"The REAL experts". Yes indeed, here we agree. The good ol "sell side experts". they are experts indeed and I am sure that they have your best interest at heart. Never mind that they may be looking to do more investment banking with the companies they cover. Ever read the disclosures at the end of some of the "recomendations"? They are there for a reason and there is a reason why they are at the end....

Twitter not long ago just received another round of financing. Just because Twitter hasn't figured out a way to make a buck in the biggest economy in the world doesn't mean $SINA won't where the average wage is less than 1/4.

Best of luck to you

Apr 20, 2011. 05:51 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sina Is Overbought vs. Competitors [View article]
    Hello esemini,

Thank you for reading my article and for your comment.

Sure, just like MCP if you like. My MCP article was Jan 4th the very day that MCP peaked before falling about 30%. It took three months before breaking the high of that day again.

Best to you

Apr 19, 2011. 10:08 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Smart Phone Threat to Sirius: Part II [View article]
    Hello Southern,

Thank you for reading my article and taking the time to comment.

Do you also feel that people who are long a stock should also not be allowed to write articles on SeekingAlpha?

You appear to be highly emotional with your comment and if so it may be wise to think about if your allowing that emotion to effect your investing goals.

I would not agree that suggesting the price of the stock will not outpace the time decay of the option premium is "bashing" the company. Perhaps re-reading your post will aid you as you consider if it really is an investment argument that should be given weight.

Lastly, You may have missed the disclosure but I am not short $SIRI. My opinion is unbiased and I understand it is controversial (only because of the relative lack of sophistication of the average investor) so I was careful before I produced the article because I know it will have an impact on my reputation. One that I believe will be complimentary looking back.

Best

Mar 31, 2011. 11:37 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Smart Phone Threat to Sirius: Part II [View article]
    Hello Stockbeater,

I did not write this article because I was already short. I wrote the article because I believe the stock will face a headwind as a result of smartphones and other technologies that deliver content cheaper and better.

I shorted the SIRI as a demonstration that I am willing (unlike many that write about stocks both pos and neg) to "eat what I cook". Once it became obvious that some were trying to discredit my article because I was short, I covered the short. I have no financial interest in the price of SIRI. My motivation is like all my articles, which is to demonstrate my understanding of markets.

Here is the timing of events
    1. wrote article
    2. short $SIRI (because I believe that it means something when someone is willing to put their own money on the line)
    3. submit article to SA
    4. Part I of article gets published
    5. Comments received to the effect "he wrote this because he is short".
    6. covered short to remove argument that I have an agenda or that this was based on anything other than my unbiased research.

I hope this clears it up and best to you

Mar 30, 2011. 05:54 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Smart Phone Threat to Sirius: Part II [View article]
    Hello TheGuy,

There already is a $SIRI app for $GOOG android phones.

Interestedly enough though, the rating is not as high as Pandora app.

Remember folks, this article is about the ability of SIRI to provide investors with a reasonable return based on risk. Not about how much we like or dislike our own radio.

Best,