Rocco Pendola

View Rocco Pendola's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Verizon Patent Proves Internet Radio Is No Threat to Sirius XM [View article]
    Fantastic article. You are clearly one of the best contributers to Seeking Alpha. Whether people agree with your sentiment or not (I do), you have a clear focus and know this stock inside and out. At the same time, you don't come off merely as a SIRI shill. You provide useful and measured analysis. It's impressive. Much appreciated.
    Feb 13 11:29 AM | 15 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • $140 Oil and How to Profit From It [View article]
    Just a clarification... relative to the U.S., European gas prices are always high. They are because the Europeans took a different route than the U.S. after WWII. They invested in public transportation and such, as opposed to an auto-centric infrastructure. They tax gas and then put a fair bit of the proceeds into public transit and other public goods. Any objective analysis regarding oil consumption in the U.S. always includes a significant hike in our insignificant gas tax, but to say enacting such a policy is not feasible politically is an understatement. Bush created an entire campaign ad mocking John Kerry for even entertaining the thought. It's really a national shame how we transport ourselves and, in turn, use land, and make a slew of poor choices in the process.
    Mar 6 12:04 PM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buying Nokia Below $3 Is Like Buying Ford Below $2 [View article]
    Excellent work. How this is not an Editors' Pick I will never know.

Solid analogies. I would just add that the MSFT thing feels like more than a partnership to me.
    May 25 11:24 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Struggling At $400: Great Low-Risk Short [View article]
    I have to say-- and I tend to rarely go after other contributors-- that if you study charts, as your name implies, you would not have written this article. The chart has had $400 written all over for weeks. During those rallies that followed even triple-digit correction in the DOW, it was quite clear that AAPL (and AMZN and CMG, etc.) were poised to lead the rally.

There are plenty of arguments to make against Apple, but saying that it's struggling at $400... well, to call it absurd is to be kind.
    Sep 16 06:44 PM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Apple Should Not Pay A Dividend (Or Do Anything Else Incredibly Stupid) [View article]
    Mike-- look at the "wack job" I called out after you! :-)

The whole this is the shareholder's cash argument sounds nice, but it's absurd. Should we blame shareholders for the failure of companies who thought they could be successful but are bleeding cash? I know the MBAs will scoff at me here and that's fine.

Apple does not go by the book. Never has. That's why it is where it is today.

Apple generated that cash because it is an incredible company. You, as a shareholder, had very little to do with that. You can make the argument that institutional owners deserve some credit. And they're the ones who benefit with a dividend because they own thousands and millions of shares. As a shareholder, Apple has rewarded you with massive returns. That's what they supposed to do. A dividend is tantamount to them sending a Christmas card. There's no obligation and there should be no expectation.
    Feb 24 03:12 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Apple should continue to run the business as it has throughout this success. That cash is nice to have there when a major opportunity comes up. One that Apple executives think of, not beat writers.
    Feb 24 02:59 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Selling Apple [View article]
    Is Apple responding to fundamentals today? Is there any guarantee that it will in the next 6 months to 1 year or even more?

Please offer something substantive or your critique applies more to your own comment than anybody else's relevant input.
    Apr 3 12:34 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Research in Motion Options Post Introduction of Their Apple iPhone Knock Off [View article]
    Why isn't there "much refinement in this analysis?" Because I don't discuss each and every little number from a report or filing? I do that with other stocks when I think it tells the story best. In this case, it does not, other than RIMM's absurd estimates based on a wish and a hope.

The story here is that Playbook and the "new" BlackBerry will not have enough to penetration in the consumer market to matter at all. And while everybody talks about how RIMM apparently does so well in the corporate market, have you checked the facts lately? Corporations are moving to AAPL products in droves. AAPL gives hard numbers on its calls of the companies using and piloting iPhone and iPad. Balsillie provides nothing more than vague generalities, no hard numbers.

The management is inept. To predict that they will beat FY EPS consensus by almost $1.00 is a dream, if not irresponsible. They are banking it on the notion that the BlackBerry will come out this summer and sell really well. I expect them to miss BIG and face shareholder lawsuits.
    May 3 12:54 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will the Manipulation of Apple Ever End? [View article]
    I really appreciate all of the comments. All of sound quality-- I appreciate that even more, irrespective of the opinion.

I think zawy's comment hits it on the head. We have a tendency as a society to want to take down whoever is on the top, especially if we cannot find anything glaringly "wrong" or "immoral" about them. If they are pretty well-respected, held in good regard with most people, there's a faction that wants to take them down even harder.

It's sick.
    Mar 18 02:50 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Apple a Falling Knife? [View article]
    Thanks to all for the comments so far.

I agree with much of the sentiment.

Several firms are now coming out to defend Apple, which comes as no surprise. It was just a matter of time.

Foxconn has been building Apple stuff for a while. How many times in the past have they had to juggle several balls or go from one thing to another?

The type of speculation Gauna put out today concerns me quite a bit.

For him to say he does not know why there's a slowdown at Foxconn, but then just go ahead and tie it to Apple is not only a slippery slope, but it borders on being irresponsible.
    Mar 16 04:39 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The End of CCME's Fairy Tale [View article]
    Presumably, you spent a couple thousand dollars -- maybe more -- to go to China to research CCME and this is what you came up with? I am not sure if CCME is a fraud or not, but you surely could have done a better job than this given the investment you apparently made to conduct the research.

As many folks here have said, where are the pictures?

I know writers with messy desks who fall asleep throughout the day and play video games, yet they are essentially very successful business entities themselves.

If you are going to stake such serious claims, you need more than this. You call them a fraud on the basis of seeing certain office behaviors, please! You have made Muddy and Citron look like phenomenal researchers. If CCME is indeed not a fraud, I hope that you, Muddy, and Citron pay for what you have done. If everything the three of you say is true, CCME should be prosecuted and you have my complete apology. But, you still did a weak job given all of the trouble it seems you went through.
    Mar 12 10:45 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 'One More Thing' About Apple [View article]
    And this has to do with the article how? Other than to prove my points about emotion leading to unrealistic thoughts.
    Apr 27 04:22 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Investing: Resisting The Urge To Get Rich Quick [View article]
    Tim-- I hate saying this for two reasons-- 1, it makes me feel like an old man and, damn it, I am not! and 2, I feel like I am being patronizing. But, in all sincerity, I agree with SteveTheHawk.

Be sure to have fun and keep things in perspective, but beyond that, stay on your path man. You are ultra-impressive and SA is lucky to have you as a contributor.
    Mar 26 09:09 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Short Play on RIM After Apple Moves Into Its Backyard [View article]
    At the end of the day, they need a product that people clamor for. They no longer do. The days of Crackberry are long gone. I cannot think of a drug that rhymes with "Play" or "Book," but nevertheless, that sort of excitement is all Apple's now. And RIMM will not even be second fiddle. I would play NOK first, honestly.
    Apr 21 02:22 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will the Manipulation of Apple Ever End? [View article]
    Thanks for the nice comments, spapaste and everybody else. As I am often on the other side in terms of response, I particularly appreciate them.

Spapaste's post brings to light the larger point I hope I am doing a good job of making. Apple is more than a successful U.S. corporation. It's more than a stock has made people money and gets manipulated now that Apple is operating on all cylinders. It truly is an icon.

Just look around you -- the things you see people doing, universally, are all because of Apple. It's really quite incredible. I could go on and illustrate the point further, but the details are in some of my other articles and, frankly, to belabor an obvious (though not often acknowledged) point would insult many reader's intelligence and capacity to think! Apple has changed the world.

And it's so much more than superficial. Look at their impact on business, medicine and in areas such as helping children with special needs as well as general education students. Amazing.

And, always, when somebody or a group of people achieve so much, we have this need in our society, at least on the part of a few whose noise unfortunately rises above, to try to tear them down. Whether it's the pathetic and sad comments people as they breach Steve Jobs' privacy or manipulation of the stock, it's all about the psychological necessity for some to prop themselves up by taking others down.

It manifests in everything from cable TV news to radio talk shows to message boards to the specific issue, re: Apple, we are talking about.
    Mar 18 04:48 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment