Rocco Pendola

View Rocco Pendola's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Sell Apple; Buy Sprint [View article]
    I know it's not easy, but solely on the basis of the way you flippantly refer to Steve Jobs' death, not to mention most of everything else you write, you need to step back and reassess what you're doing with your life. Tough slog it is, but a worthwhile exercise.
    Oct 7 02:05 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix: The Recent Sell-Off Created Rare Opportunity To Buy Below Fair Value [View article]
    The problem is that you appear to have the inability to view a stock with something other than a rigid and not-very-dynamic quantitative lens. As with RIMM, fair value, book value, none of that means a thing. They're dying companies. And until they do something, real and material, to change their long-term story, they will both flounder. I don't care if the P/E is 1 and the fair value is $900.
    Sep 29 12:17 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Income Investors Can Prepare for the Empire's Decline [View article]
    I like the focus on Canada. Almost moved there. Probably should have. Has always had its house in order, relatively speaking, even as it's inched closer to being more like "us."

Good article, as usual, even if I am ever so slightly less pessimistic, but not because I am an optimist, if that makes any sense. I just think we've sang this song, albeit in a different tune, before.
    Aug 10 02:26 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Settles Class Action Suit: What Does It Mean for Investors? [View article]
    Did you read Cameron's article? Or are you just reacting to the invisible haters who you know are out there? The stock went down on news that really means nothing to the long-term future of the company. This is what happens on Wall Street, every day with most stocks. Relax. Enjoy life. :-)
    ----
    Summary

I think this settlement was a good thing for the company. I believe it is one of the best possible outcomes that could have developed. Now it is disappointing that Sirius may not be able to increase its base price in August as previously anticipated. But I still feel that $2 will be the increased amount when they are allowed to do so, with a January 1, 2012, timeframe now more than likely.
    -----

By the way, another excellent article, Cameron. I am glad you started contributing to Seeking Alpha. It's better here with you aboard.
    May 16 06:21 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Research in Motion Options Post Introduction of Their Apple iPhone Knock Off [View article]
    I suggested going bearish RIMM on 3/28.

I agree this is just the beginning. There is no way they even come close to their own FY12 guidance.
    May 3 08:41 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you for the comment.

I would expect the consensus estimate to rise based on the company's guidance. If it doesn't then you really need to worry if you are long RIMM. I am not sure it makes any sense to entertain your question at this point. A few weeks out from earnings will be a better time.

You realize what they are banking this estimate on, don't you? Do you really have that much confidence in this new phone?

You can shout out all of the low valuation numbers you want, but you are getting sucked into a value trap. Profits and units sold will decline -- that's the story.

Thanks for the comment... and, just to keep things neat and tidy, you only have to post one comment for the same question. I read them all and attempt to answer as many as I can.
    May 3 02:02 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks you for your "contributions." I have better understanding of RIMM now.
    May 3 01:43 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Short Play on RIM After Apple Moves Into Its Backyard [View article]
    I guess we will see what happens.

I should note more often-- when I buy options I never intend to exercise them. Instead, I sell the premium to close for a profit. At this point, my call on RIMM looks good, but, again, we'll see what happens.

You cannot simply take the $6.34 EPS for granted. Clearly, I think the company has lots of room to miss.

I appreciate the comment, though.

As for 50K Playbooks being a joke... yes it is. Just as the other iPad imitators are a joke as well. It's laughable that in a world of apparently cutting edge and forward looking hi-tech companies, we only have a handful of actual cutting edge and forward looking hi-tech companies. As such, companies like RIMM will stagnate or see slower growth.

Balsillie has no plan. Instead of taking the play to the other end of the rink, he's running a scatterbrain pair of defensemen in front of goalie who is getting bombarded.
    Apr 21 11:11 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Technical Thursday - The Needle and the Damage Done [View article]
    "We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school"

You know Neil, Phil, so you must know who said that.

And I learn more from reading your columns than I could learn just about anywhere else.

Rocco
    Feb 24 10:52 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Will Apple Bulls Spin This? [View article]
    I did not see that, but does a follow-up statement really surprise you? AAPL PR and probably execs were, likely, all over him in an instant, no doubt about it, just like they probably were Margolis the engineer who said there's nobody left to say no to bad design. And this assumes that you're referring to something other than Woz noting that he uses his iPhone most.

There's the first example of spin.
    Apr 30 09:04 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • One Way To Avoid Getting Burned In An Options Trade [View article]
    I, too, am a believer in selling contracts. That said, I like to speculate with a portion of my cash. And I have found that there's a time and place to go OTM, as I have... and it's only on a handful of stocks. That makes up less than 5% of what I do. I use it here because I think it provides a nice introduction to time decay.

And you do not tell the whole story. Sure, maybe you sold that LULU call and maybe it will expire worthless. That's what you want. Good move. However, I can still go long that contract, watch it rise, sell it and turn a profit... it's a zero sum game, but not necessarily between you and me. Both sides of the trade CAN turn out profitable leading up to expiration, several times over.
    Mar 30 02:37 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm A Dividend Maniac [View article]
    Another excellent article. And the more Springsteen the better. There's no such thing as my "territory!" Plenty to go around!
    Jan 11 05:02 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Last Place I Want To Invest During 2012 [View article]
    Thanks for the comment and happy new year to you as well.

I understand that you're sensitive to SIRI, but I also speak of NFLX, DTV and companies like them in a similar way.

For the record, when I called Sirius, I called to cancel. I asked for nothing. The rep asked way. I told her. She offered me two months free.

In some fashion, you support my point for me. You make it for me. Very few companies exist that we can even hold near the same class as Apple. Apple can say to hell with the competition, we're going to run our business exactly as we see fit. Clearly, companies like Netflix, Sirius XM and DIRECTV do not operate from this type of position of strength. They each much succumb to not only competition, but the reality that what they offer is not enough to keep the consumer from just selecting something else to spend his money on.
    Dec 29 01:36 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Portfolio For Do It Yourselfers: Managing The Herd [View article]
    Thanks for the article. Much appreciated. I am happy to have found your work.

I also enjoy how you work your personality/interests into your articles. Well done.
    Dec 19 04:13 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix's Latest Update Rife With Uncertainty [View article]
    Hi there-

I closed the puts for a 52% profit and opened another position the next day.

This is what I do for a living. I write. And I trade a little bit. I used to work in a bike shop one day a week because I used to love bikes. Now, I just sort of really like them. I probably get out more than most who have traditional gigs. Anything else?

I cover NFLX. I have been writing articles about the company since April.

I find it odd that I receive discord or some such when you have the CEO bragging about spending in one breath and making these downright scary statements about liquidity the next. I'll never understand how Hastings and Netflix enjoy such a healthy dose of the benefit of the doubt.
    Dec 7 10:34 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment