Rocco Pendola

View Rocco Pendola's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Sino Clean Energy: Red Flags or Bad Bookkeeping? [View article]
    I think that's a bit too harsh.

She managed to get her degree at UT-Austin and become a CPA. The last thing I want to do is personally attack somebody. She's probably a fine person and before I wrote what I wrote I thought long and hard about she might feel. I think more writers should do that.

I weighed it against the implications the company's disorganization and poor communications could have for unsuspecting shareholders. I decided it made sense to call them out for their horrific conference call and the other things I pointed to in the article. And while the fate of her past companies could merely be coincidences, I think it's all worth bringing up.

That said, I think the company deserves a chance to respond. I hope they will... and do so professionally.

As for Ms. Fu, maybe she's caught up in some cultural stuff that Americans simply cannot understand. Maybe she was having a bad day. Whatever. Not a one of us performs perfectly or even close to it every day of our lives. When we don't measure up, we deserve to be called out for it, particularly when the stakes are high. But, nobody deserves to be called an "idiot" and such.
    Apr 4, 2011. 01:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sino Clean Energy: Red Flags or Bad Bookkeeping? [View article]
    My thoughts, exactly.

The time will come, I think, when U.S. regulators/exchanges just shut the door on companies like this. Gives the legit ones and the rest of the market a bad name or at least a dark and cloudy overhang.
    Apr 4, 2011. 12:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sino Clean Energy: Red Flags or Bad Bookkeeping? [View article]
    I read the press release and still have questions.

The company notes: "The capital expenditures expended in 2010 were recorded in prepayments and deposits." Apparently the cap ex for 2010 were that $11.2 million number, but we only see roughly $9.4 million under prepayments and deposits.
    Apr 4, 2011. 12:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The iPad App Controversy, Nielsen's Role and Who Becomes 'Old Guard' Media [View article]
    You are talking about PPM.

While it's been around a while, it's still relatively new. They are still working on getting it fully accepted. You can see the stats in their annual report.

I received an Arbitron paper diary not more than 5-7 years ago. I was out of radio at the time, so no direct conflict of interest. I don't think I ever sent it back, if I "recall" correctly.
    Apr 4, 2011. 10:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sino Clean Energy: Red Flags or Bad Bookkeeping? [View article]
    Thanks for that, Lawrence. I will go check it out. Obviously, this article was written and published before the PR came out. Not sure if it impacts what's in here. I have to read it.
    Apr 4, 2011. 09:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Selling Apple [View article]
    I have already commented on my change in decision re: holding AAPL stock. Despite your excellent detective work, I am not sure it means a whole lot considering what I say in the article and what I have said here.

As for manipulating the stock, I am not starting a Steve Jobs rumor or stating that Apple won't be able to get iPad parts from Japan. That type of stuff moves a stock. A retail investor noting that he is going to sell his stake, which represents about 0.0005 percent of the shares traded in the stock hardly qualifies as part of what I was talking about, re: manipulation.

Nice try, though.
    Apr 4, 2011. 09:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Selling Apple [View article]
    Review my article history on AAPL. I have made some of the stronger counterpoints. And I still think they hold serious sway. Unfortunately, in this area, as in most, it's not black and white.
    Apr 3, 2011. 08:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Selling Apple [View article]
    Thanks for the comments. I am happy to see people are getting something out of the article, but even more so the comments. That's how it's supposed to work.

Dr. Anthony -- I was really comparing the two on some sort of timeline or trajectory. What I was going for is the idea that both have hit the pinnacle, and, as such, observers don't get all that excited even when they continue to do unbelievable things so they get short shrift. I fully understand the thought that Apple's better days might be ahead of them (like, in some ways, particularly from an individual standpoints, Gretzky's were are the Oilers), but, boy, even for them, it's going to be tough. Again, they might (and likely will grow) and continue to amaze enough of us, but I wonder if they can dog the street's frustrating complacency towards them.
    Apr 3, 2011. 07:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Selling Apple [View article]
    Boy, they could get some serious press if they closed CA's budget gap.

It is sort of funny... a company that sells "gadgets" (and I realize all of the real world impacts they have) has more than enough cash to ensure that more than one state's children don't face cuts to education, etc, etc...
    Apr 3, 2011. 12:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GM, Citi, Yahoo, Google: Using Friday's Options Activity to Get Ready for Monday's Market [View article]
    Really, Pandit has shown little regard for the shareholders. He shamelessly pumped the stock ahead of earnings with his letter to his employees only to miss. Just horrific.

Good point on the covered call thing. I would not mind holding these shares and writing covered calls. If you have some time, they are likely to either A) turnaround in due time or B) benefit from a buyout down the line.
    Apr 3, 2011. 11:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mel Karmazin Knows Howard Stern's Worth to Sirius/XM [View article]
    I sent you a PM, sirifair.
    Apr 2, 2011. 07:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mel Karmazin Knows Howard Stern's Worth to Sirius/XM [View article]
    Thanks for the comment.

Karmazin came up through the ranks in sales. Maybe I should have made my point a bit more clear, re: programming. He has always acted in the interest of programming, such as when it came to Stern's show. People like him in terrestrial radio have been, particularly in the last few decades, few and far between. As far as I am concerned -- and many other people who have actually worked in radio -- he has run stations and groups as a programmer would. Great programming precedes great sales. Back up the talent, support them and everything else will follow, including revenue.

You fail to take into account Mel and Howard's history before Sirius. You fail to study the history of terrestrial radio before satellite came to be. Rooted in this is where my perspective comes in. Do yourself a favor and read up on Mel, Randy Michaels, WNBC, Infinity, Jacor, etc... these are the days gone by that are really quite relevant, I think, to what is happening in many areas of the media today.
    Apr 2, 2011. 05:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Using Options to Play Tesla Motors [View article]
    Good call. Yes, the Fiskers are incredible looking. I will have to look into the IPO and the sales info. Feel free to PM me any links of interest. Thanks for that.
    Apr 2, 2011. 11:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Helps Make American Apparel a Good Short [View article]
    I feel bad because the CEO is Canadian and I love all things Canadian.

That said, fantastic article. One of the best I have read all week. Thanks for it.
    Apr 1, 2011. 10:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Motors: The Apple of EV Car Makers [View article]
    I would like to see an updated JPM report. TSLA has already passed the price target in that report. I think we'll hear much more after earnings in May. Most analysts tend to react.
    Apr 1, 2011. 02:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment