Rocco Pendola

View Rocco Pendola's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Questions For Netflix Ahead Of Earnings [View article]
    They have answered my questions in the past, so you have a chance!

That's a good one. Of course, it's always nice to have more money than you need.:-) Even if it means 2.33 million more shares outstanding. We'll just buy them back!!
    Apr 22, 2012. 10:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My New Found Love And Respect For Reed Hastings [View article]
    So, we agree. You've got to give the guy some credit is all I am saying. It's not like he's a dolt. He just thinks he can run this company. Clearly, he cannot. And he has obviously made horrible choices since deciding he was going to go all-in on streaming. Now it's a big old cluster---- and he does not even know what's coming next.

He needs a COO, a board, everything.
    Apr 22, 2012. 10:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My New Found Love And Respect For Reed Hastings [View article]
    He had a visionary moment or invention that he did a pretty good job seeing it through. How's that? I agree after that, though. it's not even about his customers' opinions. Jobs cared less about that. To me, it's just doing such a bad job of running a business in the short-term that you make it virtually impossible to succeed in the long-term. He needs a strong COO.

He talks a good game about the future. You have to give him that. He just does not realize that there is no way in hell Netflix will be a meaningful part of that future, if it even is at all.
    Apr 22, 2012. 10:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My New Found Love And Respect For Reed Hastings [View article]
    I don't disagree with a fair bit of what you said. I just think it's incredibly unfair to discount what he came up with originally. I think it's a great story and, regardless of anything else, the guys deserves credit for it. And, yes, it was visionary. He's not Steve Jobs, but he certainly has impacted a small part of plenty of people's lives. Like Jobs, he's not curing cancer, but he has made a meaningful contribution no matter how bad of a CEO he is and such.
    Apr 22, 2012. 08:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Questions For Netflix Ahead Of Earnings [View article]
    "Too bad they could now own a nice little production house for the money they spent buying back shares over the last 12 months."

Solid comment. Excellent insight into Comcast. Any of these cats can crush Netflix on a dime.

The last sentence is the best. Shareholders should be furious over that buyback.
    Apr 22, 2012. 05:16 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Questions For Netflix Ahead Of Earnings [View article]
    It's quite a bit different than the simplicity you present.

I am not Time Warner. I am not Disney. I am not Starz. I am not Viacom. I am not CBS. I am not Sony Pictures, etc., etc., etc. I do not have platform or the ability to create a strong enough platform to distribute my "content."

Your analogy does not hold. I guess we'll see what happens.

I look forward to your next article on Netflix.
    Apr 22, 2012. 12:15 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My New Found Love And Respect For Reed Hastings [View article]
    Bilton- you know what I think of you, however, this, without doubt, is the biggest stretch you've ever made and shows a complete lack of being able to give credit where it's due:

"his is not a business started by vision. It was started out of anger due to the founder's irresponsibility in following simple terms in a contract he signed. Ever since, he has tried to play fast and loose with the rules of business."

Although I do agree with the sentence or three before those! :-)
    Apr 22, 2012. 03:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My New Found Love And Respect For Reed Hastings [View article]
    The options he exercises are irrelevant. Many like him do the same. The only beef I have ever add with this practice is that they were buying back stock as well. Not OK.
    Apr 20, 2012. 05:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My New Found Love And Respect For Reed Hastings [View article]
    I think Hastings is committed to streaming. I would be shocked if he sold it. I think Split 2.0 is actually just the opposite. Setting up the DVD for sale. We shall see. Whatever happens, Monday should be another exciting day.
    Apr 20, 2012. 04:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My New Found Love And Respect For Reed Hastings [View article]
    Ted Kennedy was the one involved in the incident with the car and alcohol.

I am not sure why this is relevant here, but that's a fact.
    Apr 20, 2012. 04:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My New Found Love And Respect For Reed Hastings [View article]
    That was not Robert.
    Apr 20, 2012. 03:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My New Found Love And Respect For Reed Hastings [View article]
    "I don't think his quote is meaningful without actual accomplishments."

I would be offended if I did not know your excellent comment history. It's not even his quote, though he owns it. Unfortunately, the guy did not have a chance to accomplish ten times more than you and I ever will. He had to settle for 8 or 9 times.

I agree with part of what you say about Hastings, except the "no commitment" and "absolute creep" stuff.

Shying away from the personal stuff, I do agree that he has mismanaged things. That's part of the point of the article. And he's not an idiot. I have to think he has thought along or is thinking along these lines, or something similar, right now.
    Apr 20, 2012. 03:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My New Found Love And Respect For Reed Hastings [View article]
    The guy has done some incredible things. Now it's time for him to really step back and make some changes.

I appreciate the sentiment. Sincerely. Thanks for the comment.
    Apr 20, 2012. 03:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 1 Way Netflix Can Halt Its Death Spiral [View article]
    All Netflix really needs to do is talk to Pandora. But, at the end of the day, it does not seem like a very difficult concept to grasp, even though few seem to have done so. Commercials do not have to be an intrusion. Some of these sci-fi movies had it figured out years ago. Like that one with Tom Cruise.
    Apr 18, 2012. 02:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 1 Way Netflix Can Halt Its Death Spiral [View article]
    Exactly. People tend to think of advertising in the traditional sense. It does not have to be that way. It's a completely different user experience when it's targeted and such.
    Apr 18, 2012. 12:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment