Roger C. Wren

View Roger C. Wren's Comments BY TICKER:
  • GT Advanced files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy [View news story]

I sold puts three times this year and made a little money. Moved on a couple of months ago. Luck was with me as there was no way I saw anything like this coming.

I agree with the board sentiment that on 6 August when management said all was well they had to know Apple was not going to use GTAT on the new Iphone. The ambulance chasing lawyers will be all over this in a couple of days.
    Oct 6 12:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla Motors: Challenges Ahead Can Help Short Sellers Gain 25% [View article]

I choose to pass on a Tesla bet either way. I agree that the fundamentals scream "short". However, shorting Tesla is a bet against Elon. That is sort of like betting against Steve Jobs 15 years ago. You may win a little but you also may have your head handed to you financially.

I follow Tesla and tell myself to buy some on a serious dip but when it comes I can not make myself pull the trigger.
    Oct 3 08:59 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Offshore Drilling Outlook: October 2014 [View article]

Your graphs have several colours but the meaning of the various colours is not provided as far as I can see.
    Oct 3 04:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: Sell-Off Is Overdone [View article]

Great article on one of my hold forever stocks.

Minor item. I assume you meant half a million barrels per day?

" Saudi Arabia already reduced its oil output by half a billion barrels per day in August"
    Sep 23 04:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America: $2.76 In EPS Means Sell? [View article]

The 17B fine will reduce BAC's taxes by several billion. Also BAC has already set up reserves for a large part of it. The fine is obviously not good news but it is not a disaster and paying it will remove a lot of uncertainty from BAC going forward.
    Sep 4 08:00 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Burger King Looking To Buy Tim Hortons In Tax Inversion, Eh [View article]

How can someone as weight-challenged as the First Lady lecture 320 million people on their eating habits? I grant you that she is probably right in what she says but is this not a case of "do as I say and not as I do"?
    Aug 25 09:02 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hollande asks PM to form new government [View news story]

A new government for France? Is France still a country of its own? I thought it was a province of the glorious Empire of the European Union.
    Aug 25 06:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Realty Capital Properties: A Good Value That Is Gaining Strength [View article]

It seems that ARCP got to choose the best 500 of the 700 Red Lobsters to buy. This is good news. If it had been Red Lobster selecting the worst 500 to sell and keeping the best 200 the news would have been not so good.
    Aug 22 05:12 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Deere & Co.: Plowing Its Way To Lower Prices [View article]

Short till you can short no more. I own DE and as long as it is still a leading company in its field 20 or 30 years from now I will be happy. I think the odds are overwhelmingly on my side.
    Aug 19 08:14 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Xinyuan Is Not A Fraud [View article]

Sounds great if not a fraud. Burned a couple of times by Chinese fraud, won a couple of Chinese bets that were not fraud. This one seems to have a good risk/reward ratio. Made a very small bet at 4.05, will see what happens in the next year or two.
    Aug 11 01:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Argentina's Default Is Just Bump In The Road For YPF [View article]

If the government of Argentina owns 51 percent of YPF and is known to have an anti-capitalist way of thinking why would someone not brain-dead expect to make money buying the stock of YPF?
    Aug 6 09:02 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Invest Like Warren Buffet With This Small Cap Stock [View article]

I was in BH briefly a couple of years ago. Got out with a minor loss and will never go back. The CEO, Biglari, is a poster boy for ethically challenged senior management.
    Jul 29 08:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kurdish oil to be seized following order and arrest warrant [View news story]
    The Kurds are the only rational and democratic players involved in the area other than Israel. The Kurds and Israel are also the only players in the area that actually like America.

Which of the players does our Dear Leader decide to oppose? Of course. Israel and the Kurds.
    Jul 29 07:00 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Xinyuan: A Cheap Housing Stock [View article]

A Chinese stock whose financials seem to be too good to be true often turns out to be .........................
    Jul 23 03:01 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A 9%-Plus Yield At Linn Energy Is Compelling As The Company Continues Its Acquisition Ways [View article]

KMP is one, I forget the other one.
    Jul 22 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment