Roger C. Wren

View Roger C. Wren's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Deere & Co.: Plowing Its Way To Lower Prices [View article]

Short till you can short no more. I own DE and as long as it is still a leading company in its field 20 or 30 years from now I will be happy. I think the odds are overwhelmingly on my side.
    Aug 19 08:14 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Xinyuan Is Not A Fraud [View article]

Sounds great if not a fraud. Burned a couple of times by Chinese fraud, won a couple of Chinese bets that were not fraud. This one seems to have a good risk/reward ratio. Made a very small bet at 4.05, will see what happens in the next year or two.
    Aug 11 01:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Argentina's Default Is Just Bump In The Road For YPF [View article]

If the government of Argentina owns 51 percent of YPF and is known to have an anti-capitalist way of thinking why would someone not brain-dead expect to make money buying the stock of YPF?
    Aug 6 09:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Invest Like Warren Buffet With This Small Cap Stock [View article]

I was in BH briefly a couple of years ago. Got out with a minor loss and will never go back. The CEO, Biglari, is a poster boy for ethically challenged senior management.
    Jul 29 08:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kurdish oil to be seized following order and arrest warrant [View news story]
    The Kurds are the only rational and democratic players involved in the area other than Israel. The Kurds and Israel are also the only players in the area that actually like America.

Which of the players does our Dear Leader decide to oppose? Of course. Israel and the Kurds.
    Jul 29 07:00 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Xinyuan: A Cheap Housing Stock [View article]

A Chinese stock whose financials seem to be too good to be true often turns out to be .........................
    Jul 23 03:01 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A 9%-Plus Yield At Linn Energy Is Compelling As The Company Continues Its Acquisition Ways [View article]

KMP is one, I forget the other one.
    Jul 22 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Linn Energy Strikes A Deal With Devon [View article]
    Bought some about nine months ago for about the current price. Dividend rolled in on schedule every month. Dividend looks secure for the next couple of years. Even if it drops a little (doubtful) the yield on cost will still be pretty good. All is well.
    Jul 2 12:43 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron Will Shoot The Lights Out Monday [View article]
    Wow. 54 times earnings, I love it. You seem to indicate 54 times a quarter's worth of earnings, a non-standard way of looking at things but I guess it is OK.
    Jun 23 08:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Sold Prospect Capital [View article]

Why I keep my Prospect shares - You may be correct in everything you say, you may not be correct. Worst case likely is that you are mostly correct, Prospect ends up cutting the dividend, and the stock drops.

Even if the stock price and the dividend both drop 50 percent I will still be getting around six percent on my original investment and at some future point the stock will likely come back to 10 or 11 dollars a share.

I have bought a basket of high yield stocks to keep forever and pass on to my girlfriend. I assume some of them will at some point fall on hard times and cut their dividends. As long as collectively I am getting five percent on my initial investment I sleep well at night. Currently I am getting about nine percent and am steadily reinvesting all dividends.

And, of course, maybe Prospect manages to keep its dividend going and when it raises the dividend significantly a couple of years down the line the stock goes up. One never knows for sure.
    Jun 19 04:15 AM | 33 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Citi sells Greek retail business to Alpha Bank [View news story]
    That seems like a lot of assets for two million euros.
    Jun 13 08:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • China Finance Online - A Stock Primed To Quadruple; $13 Price Target [View article]

Deepfryer999: Yes it was sarcasm. I was burned bad by a Chinese stock, can not remember the name but it was the fraud that sold advertising on its intercity busses. Seeing the comments here defending JRJC I will take a look at it and may even get in it in a small way. May be a lucky day for real.
    Jun 4 11:53 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment

I am 75 years old and trying to make a little money in the stock market. I have heard that Chinese stocks are dangerous but this one is "amazing" and going to go up 300 percent. I think I will cash in my life insurance and go all in on JRJC. 300 percent will change my life. I will be able to go to Thailand or the Philippines and get a girl of my own. No more sharing. Seeing this article is the luckiest day of my life. Happy days are here again.
    Jun 4 10:21 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Few Simple Events Will Help Solitario's Value Immensely [View article]
    If this company is anywhere near as good as you indicate why are you telling us about it? Why are you not mortgaging your house to raise all you can and then going all-in on the company while the price is cheap? Why has the stock dropped from four dollars to one dollar?
    May 30 08:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What The New York Times Could Have Been [View article]

Bankruptcy could not happen to a more deserving newspaper or publisher.
    May 29 11:13 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment