Roger F. Goodrich

View Roger F. Goodrich's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Metrics For Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    SDS:

Thanks for the comments. I will look into your suggestions and see what happens.

I bought the book you suggested, 'Financial Shenanigans - How to Detect Accounting Gimmicks and Fraud in Financial Reports'. Those rascals!!

Jan 23, 2014. 10:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    docdiamond:

Just looking at my portfolio wouldn't help you, if I understand your problem. I have written 18 articles describing my philosophy and strategy. In several of them, I list stocks and ETFs that I own. This article shows a review of how the portfolio is structured.

I suggest you read those articles that you think might help you plus any of the many available on SA. Then if you have specific questions, ask away.

Good luck.

Jan 5, 2014. 09:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    aterosin:

Another thought about index funds. Some, like those that track the S&P500 are true index funds. I have seen some that I question, like (for example) the ABC ETF that is 'indexed' to the ABC Index which is controlled by the same company as the ETF. I think it is a fair statement that a true index fund should have a minimum Expense Ratio as there is no necessary research in selecting the components, only for fund maintenance and maybe a tracking formula, which is a one-time cost.

Just a thought..

Dec 30, 2013. 09:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    aterosin:

Sorry, I don't have any specific articles to help you. I have found that using 'Google' with specific key words usually works.
    Vanguard has a good assembly of ETFs and MFs with low Expense Ratios. Check their website. Other possibilities are ishares, WisdomTree. There are others.
    I have an on-line brokerage account. If you own dividend paying holdings and don't auto re-invest, dividends are paid into the account automatically with no extra fees. I am not sure how Sharebuilder works. Many (most?) on-line brokerages have 100 or so commission-free ETFs to buy and sell.

Hope this helps and good luck to you. Retirement is fun!

Dec 30, 2013. 08:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    ndunivant:

Thanks for the comment. I am thinking about writing on my portfolio performance, but year-to-year performance is short -sighted. My portfolio is a moving target, although I am trying to reduce volatility.
    Stay tuned..

Dec 30, 2013. 06:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    btrebs:

Actually, CVY is on my watch list for the Core segment (lower yield ETFs). It looks like I should have included it here. It does have a high (108%) Turnover Ratio, but worthy of more research.

Thanks for the comment and bringing CVY to our attention.

Dec 30, 2013. 06:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    Craig:

Thanks for the reply.
    My answer to the ETF vs.. CEF question is that until one (of them) has the dividend growth business model we all are looking for, assuming we could all agree on what that is, is (for me) to pick ETFs with low turnover ratios and a reasonable set of holdings that accomplish what I am looking for. As it stands now, the managers are chasing price appreciation or yield, not dividend growth. Yield is only important when you are buying or selling. While you hold the 'holdings', dividend growth is the most important. To paraphrase Churchill, they (the managers) will get it right, after they have exhausted all other possibilities.

I hope to be reading the articles you 'promised'.

Dec 30, 2013. 06:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    Z:

Everyone should have a poor cousin. The question is: which one?

Dec 30, 2013. 06:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    Yebrevo:
    Thanks for the comments.
    Being retired, I have more time than money, but as I stated, I am looking for a low maintenance portfolio. A little time spent now saves time in the future.
    The answer to your question is yes, I believe, as stated in the article, what is important is the resulting yield when you are buying.

Dec 30, 2013. 06:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    Cal:

Thanks for the comments.
    I realize REM is the most risky of the ETFs I listed. I am banking on low interest rates for a year or so. It may not work out, but I might also keep it through the cycle and see what happens. I could stand the price going down, as long as it recovered. If dividends stay on the high end, even with modest cuts, OK with me. You spend your money and take your chances!
    I did not include high yield corporate bonds as a possibility because I already own JNK. Also, I was looking for ETFs with some equity hoping for some capital gain potential and dividend growth.

Dec 30, 2013. 06:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    Rashbaugh:
    Thanks for the comments.
    I don't disagree with the statement about REM. I may not hold it through a business cycle. As I stated in the article, I don't have big bucks in any of these. I prefer to hold small amounts (relative) in the portfolio so I can track them better. Generally speaking, we shouldn't forget that the higher the yield, the higher the risk.
    My Fixed Inc segment, 20% of portfolio, is totally sold off in the first 20 years of the distribution phase, according to plan. That phase may start in 3 years in my case. The object is to have more income while the Div Gr segment cranks up. See my article on the End Game.
    The only CEF I have is IIM. I got burned with them during the financial crisis. I think ETFs are a better way to go, although they are not perfect. See my comment to SDS.

Dec 30, 2013. 11:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    SDS:

Thanks for the comments. Always good to hear from you.
    Will C/O your blogs.
    I have reasons for wanting a low maintenance portfolio and the 'extra' costs of having ETFs is worth it, IMHO. We are all coming from different directions and going on different paths, they only cross at times. I write about my portfolio and its workings with the thought that some detail may be useful to someone else. Besides, it clears my brain 'deck' for action.
    Happy New Year.

Dec 30, 2013. 11:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: A Better Way To Carry Out The 4% Rule [View article]
    Spoken like a man!
    Dec 21, 2013. 02:00 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Annaly Capital Management: Shocking Price Action [View article]
    SFC:

Thanks for the interesting article. I hope you are right and the buyers come back.

Long NLY, wondering why I am under water.

Dec 9, 2013. 06:49 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    David:

I don't think Monte Carlo tests are the answer. One problem is: at what success rate do you call acceptable? I have run Monte Carlo simulations one run at a time, stopping on the bad cases. Looking at the multi-year market performance, you say Wow, that is bad, but maybe it could happen. The likely scenario is that if it gets that bad, the whole financial system is broken. Then, its another ballgame.

I believe the best system is where you have a good game plan up front, then see what happens and revise as necessary. I think that is what most folk do.

Dec 6, 2013. 04:18 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment