Roger F. Goodrich

View Roger F. Goodrich's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Monitoring Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    General TSO:

Thank you for your comments. I hope it helps you think about what your needs are.

Good Hunting.

Nov 28 02:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Monitoring Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    Obieephyhm:

Thank YOU for your work here.

Nov 28 01:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Monitoring Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    WCM:

Thanks for your comments.

I think I have supplied all the formulas you need. It is better to tailor your spreadsheet to your own case. It helps to really think about what you need and how to do it.

Best Regards.

Nov 28 12:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Challenge-Do Not Overlook These Future Dividend Challenger Stars-Part 3 [View article]
    A look at ACNs Cash Flow Statement shows that they have increased their Cash Balance from $3603M in Aug 2009 to $5632M in Aug 2013. What due diligence can do...

Happy Thanksgiving.

Nov 28 11:30 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Monitoring Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    SDS:

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate your thoughtful ones.

My 1st table has the answer for monthly look at dividends paid,
    Documentation #E. It spots many of the things that can go wrong.
    I think most of us have domestic stocks that pay quarterly. I have most of my foreign holdings in ETFs, where that close a look is not as important.

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Nov 27 04:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My DIY DGI Portfolio Business Plan [View article]
    DGI Guy:

There are many factors to consider in analyzing dg. Young growing companies vs. mature. The state of the economy is also a factor. There are several (many) companies that have not yet recovered from the financial crisis. Look, for example, at TGT dg graph and compare with SYY, PEP, PAYX. These latter ones will probably recover, but I have sold all within the past year. My feeling is that if the dg magnitude decreases because the company matures, it should be very slowly. A more complicated subject than can be covered here.

I am working on an article that covers part of this.

Oct 30 04:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My DIY DGI Portfolio Business Plan [View article]
    DGI Guy:

Another comment. I look at the stock price relative to its 200 dma for buy/sell considerations. Currently, TGT (which I am long), is about 5% below its 200 dma. I took a drop a short while ago, which warrants checking out.

Oct 30 02:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My DIY DGI Portfolio Business Plan [View article]
    DGI Guy:

I like the photo. I would add one suggestion, pay more attention to dividend growth year-to-year. If nothing more, assuming you are using Fish's CCC spreadsheet, highlight the dividends/share columns and graph them (line graph is better). The shape of the curve tells much.

Best wishes and good luck.

Oct 30 02:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Replace A Loser With A Dividend Growth Blue Chip [View article]
    Bob J:

Your example about the crossover year for y1=2,dg1=15 and y2=3, dg2=10 and a crossover year of 18 assumes dividends are re-invested.
    The formula for crossover year is:
    Year = LN(Y2/Y1) / LN((1+dg1)/(1+dg2)) where inputs are in decimal notation, i.e., y1=0.02, dg1=0.15).
    This formula results in a crossover year of 9.12 which is the value given in your reference for yield on cost.

Oct 23 07:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Add 6% Yields And Global Diversification To Your Dividend-Income Portfolio [View article]
    Left Banker:

Thanks for the article and the research behind it.
    I couldn't disagree with you less on the subject. Twenty percent of my portfolio is in ETFs, half domestic and half international according to M* x-ray. I also have positions in SDIV and RWX, but they are in another segment of my portfolio for dividend growth/time reasons.
    I also do research for my own situation, then publish on SA. It does help clear the cobwebs, as you say.
    As an ex-sailor (7 years live-aboard cruising after retirement) I have to say that tailwinds are not as exciting as close-hauled into the wind.

Keep up the good work.

Oct 16 06:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A New Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    On sorting CCC:

I insert a column and use the logic functions to select the stocks I want.

Example: say yield is in column AA and you want to find all stocks with yields greater than 3%. In each row of the new column insert the following: IF(AAxx>3, AAxx, " ") where xx is the row. This will return the >3 yields and if <3 return a blank cell. Put this formula in the 1st row, then copy/paste down.

Oct 11 07:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    Part-time Investor:

I was thinking of the case where the RMD would be spent as income. If you are reinvesting dividends, then keep them in the IRA.

Oct 7 08:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    Part-time Investor:

If you have IRAs and taxable accounts with the same company, instead of transferring all the required RMD in, say January for the previous year, you can have transferred a fixed amount monthly during this previous year so that at year's end the remaining amount of RMD is small. This way your parents can use the money sooner and it improves cash flow.

Oct 7 06:04 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    StepUp:

Try my article 'What is Due Diligence for Linear Dividend Growth Stocks'.

Hope it helps.

Oct 7 04:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    More:

Forgot to add;
    4) transfer some funds monthly to the other account using an automatic transfer.

Oct 7 02:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment