Roger F. Goodrich

View Roger F. Goodrich's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Is Your Dividend Growth Stock Coming Or Going? [View article]
    User 167099:

Thanks for the comments.
    It would not be in your best interest for me to list the highest growth rate from a database of stocks. There are many other factors involved in selecting stocks to buy.

Jan 30 11:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Your Dividend Growth Stock Coming Or Going? [View article]
    haschultz:

I do keep track of payout over time with the stocks I own. Using earnings is not a good parameter. I use Dividends Paid / (Net Income + Depreciation + Non-Cash Items). These are taken from the Cash Flow Sheet. It works for almost all stocks, including REITs and MLPs.

Thanks for the comments.

Jan 30 11:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Your Dividend Growth Stock Coming Or Going? [View article]
    SDS:

Thanks for the comments. You are right about the decrease of DGR over time, but it should be so slow that this technique wouldn't pick up on it. I am looking for the fast decreases.

Jan 30 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Your Dividend Growth Stock Coming Or Going? [View article]
    Victorybydivs:

I checked 3 sources, Dividendinvestors, Fish's CCC Lists, Yahoo. They all have $2.59.

Jan 29 08:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Metrics For Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    BruceM:

Thanks for the kind comments.

I have never looked into Discounted Cash Flow (DCF). I will look into it as time permits. It should correlate. I am looking for new metrics that are easy to calculate. I don't like to follow the herd, then we would all be bidding up the same stocks.

Jan 27 09:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    JM20:

The short answer is yes. The long answer is definitely yes.

Jan 27 11:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Metrics For Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    Pigpen414:

Thanks for the comments. Keep plugging away at it. Good luck.

Jan 26 07:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    Jackmaster20:

It is hard to contrast DEM vs. EDIV. They are in the same market. I recognize more of the companies in the top 25 in DEM, but EDIV pays a higher dividend. It also has a short track record. I have shares of DEM, VWO and EDIV. I notice on Morningstar that all 3 are trading at a small discount to NAV, EDIV is the smallest discount, but all run from -1.45% to -1.94%. I have not been worrying about that parameter as it should be small.

Thanks for the comments and good luck.

Jan 26 07:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Metrics For Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    SDS:

Thanks for the comments. I will look into your suggestions and see what happens.

I bought the book you suggested, 'Financial Shenanigans - How to Detect Accounting Gimmicks and Fraud in Financial Reports'. Those rascals!!

Jan 23 10:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    docdiamond:

Just looking at my portfolio wouldn't help you, if I understand your problem. I have written 18 articles describing my philosophy and strategy. In several of them, I list stocks and ETFs that I own. This article shows a review of how the portfolio is structured.

I suggest you read those articles that you think might help you plus any of the many available on SA. Then if you have specific questions, ask away.

Good luck.

Jan 5 09:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    aterosin:

Sorry, I don't have any specific articles to help you. I have found that using 'Google' with specific key words usually works.
    Vanguard has a good assembly of ETFs and MFs with low Expense Ratios. Check their website. Other possibilities are ishares, WisdomTree. There are others.
    I have an on-line brokerage account. If you own dividend paying holdings and don't auto re-invest, dividends are paid into the account automatically with no extra fees. I am not sure how Sharebuilder works. Many (most?) on-line brokerages have 100 or so commission-free ETFs to buy and sell.

Hope this helps and good luck to you. Retirement is fun!

Dec 30 08:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    ndunivant:

Thanks for the comment. I am thinking about writing on my portfolio performance, but year-to-year performance is short -sighted. My portfolio is a moving target, although I am trying to reduce volatility.
    Stay tuned..

Dec 30 06:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    btrebs:

Actually, CVY is on my watch list for the Core segment (lower yield ETFs). It looks like I should have included it here. It does have a high (108%) Turnover Ratio, but worthy of more research.

Thanks for the comment and bringing CVY to our attention.

Dec 30 06:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    Craig:

Thanks for the reply.
    My answer to the ETF vs.. CEF question is that until one (of them) has the dividend growth business model we all are looking for, assuming we could all agree on what that is, is (for me) to pick ETFs with low turnover ratios and a reasonable set of holdings that accomplish what I am looking for. As it stands now, the managers are chasing price appreciation or yield, not dividend growth. Yield is only important when you are buying or selling. While you hold the 'holdings', dividend growth is the most important. To paraphrase Churchill, they (the managers) will get it right, after they have exhausted all other possibilities.

I hope to be reading the articles you 'promised'.

Dec 30 06:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High-Yield ETFs For Dividend Growth Portfolios [View article]
    Z:

Everyone should have a poor cousin. The question is: which one?

Dec 30 06:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment