Roger F. Goodrich

View Roger F. Goodrich's Comments BY TICKER:

Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • My DIY DGI Portfolio Business Plan [View article]
    DGI Guy:

I like the photo. I would add one suggestion, pay more attention to dividend growth year-to-year. If nothing more, assuming you are using Fish's CCC spreadsheet, highlight the dividends/share columns and graph them (line graph is better). The shape of the curve tells much.

Best wishes and good luck.

Oct 30, 2013. 02:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Replace A Loser With A Dividend Growth Blue Chip [View article]
    Bob J:

Your example about the crossover year for y1=2,dg1=15 and y2=3, dg2=10 and a crossover year of 18 assumes dividends are re-invested.
    The formula for crossover year is:
    Year = LN(Y2/Y1) / LN((1+dg1)/(1+dg2)) where inputs are in decimal notation, i.e., y1=0.02, dg1=0.15).
    This formula results in a crossover year of 9.12 which is the value given in your reference for yield on cost.

Oct 23, 2013. 07:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Add 6% Yields And Global Diversification To Your Dividend-Income Portfolio [View article]
    Left Banker:

Thanks for the article and the research behind it.
    I couldn't disagree with you less on the subject. Twenty percent of my portfolio is in ETFs, half domestic and half international according to M* x-ray. I also have positions in SDIV and RWX, but they are in another segment of my portfolio for dividend growth/time reasons.
    I also do research for my own situation, then publish on SA. It does help clear the cobwebs, as you say.
    As an ex-sailor (7 years live-aboard cruising after retirement) I have to say that tailwinds are not as exciting as close-hauled into the wind.

Keep up the good work.

Oct 16, 2013. 06:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A New Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    On sorting CCC:

I insert a column and use the logic functions to select the stocks I want.

Example: say yield is in column AA and you want to find all stocks with yields greater than 3%. In each row of the new column insert the following: IF(AAxx>3, AAxx, " ") where xx is the row. This will return the >3 yields and if <3 return a blank cell. Put this formula in the 1st row, then copy/paste down.

Oct 11, 2013. 07:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    Part-time Investor:

I was thinking of the case where the RMD would be spent as income. If you are reinvesting dividends, then keep them in the IRA.

Oct 7, 2013. 08:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    Part-time Investor:

If you have IRAs and taxable accounts with the same company, instead of transferring all the required RMD in, say January for the previous year, you can have transferred a fixed amount monthly during this previous year so that at year's end the remaining amount of RMD is small. This way your parents can use the money sooner and it improves cash flow.

Oct 7, 2013. 06:04 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New Retirement Portfolio [View article]

Try my article 'What is Due Diligence for Linear Dividend Growth Stocks'.

Hope it helps.

Oct 7, 2013. 04:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New Retirement Portfolio [View article]

Forgot to add;
    4) transfer some funds monthly to the other account using an automatic transfer.

Oct 7, 2013. 02:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A New Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    Part Time Investor:

Thanks for sharing, good article.

To save for the RMD, I use some or all of the following:
    1) leave the dividends to accumulate.
    2) buy no commission ETFs, such as IWB (equity) and VGIT Bond) during year, sell to take RMD.
    3) use the funds from 1) if during the year a 'good' buy comes along. You have all of the next year to cover the RMD.

Be sensitive with MLPs; if they change the tax laws, owning them could be painful, re CANROYs.

Best wishes to you and your parents.

Oct 7, 2013. 02:42 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Calculate The Intrinsic Value Of Your Common Stocks: Part 1 [View article]

Where does one go to understand the FAST Graphs research tool?
    I am interested in more than being told to buy the stock when the black line goes below the orange line.

The EPS data for PG caught my eye, you show it rising from 2009 to 2013. Morningstar data show it declining. The following are data for PG EPS from 2009 to 2013, Morning star basic/ diluted/ your data. Am I off base? 4.49/4.26/3.76; 4.32/4.11/3.7;
    4.12/3.93/4.12; 3.82/3.66/4.00; 4.04/3.86/4.14. PGs net income and cash flow have been going down and they have discontinued operations. The only reason they look better with some metrics is that they have re-purchased shares. Dividend growth is due to buybacks and an increased payout ratio. This paints a dimmer picture than you show.

Do you have an explanation? Thank you for the article, I know you have spent time on this important subject.

Sep 20, 2013. 10:36 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Value Investing: Strategy, Picks And Thoughts [View article]

Google 'taxes on foreign stock dividends' and you will find a SA article on the subject. Good question. There are some differences in whether the account is taxable or not. You can recover some (all) foreign taxes in taxable accounts when you file fed taxes. Not so in IRA type accounts, except Canada (for one) doesn't tax stocks held in IRAs.

Hope this helps.

Sep 16, 2013. 06:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Triangle Capital's Dividend Sustainable? [View article]
    Thanks for the research and article. I am long TCAP.

Sep 2, 2013. 08:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 3 Key Elements Of A Bond ETF [View article]

Thanks for your article.

It is my feeling that bond ETF prices tend to track inline with the equity market. Is this perception correct? If so, do you know why?

Aug 20, 2013. 09:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ivy Portfolio Strategy: Keep It Simple, Stupid [View article]

Thanks for the interesting article. What do you think about using the 200dma and the 30dma (as an example) for buy/sell decisions? It appears to cut the number of trades when the market is going sideways.

Aug 8, 2013. 11:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing - The End Game [View article]

I am not assuming anything. Linear dividend growth is where dividends increase by the same amount in dollars each year.

Thanks for your comment.