Roger F. Goodrich

View Roger F. Goodrich's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • A New Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    More:

Forgot to add;
    4) transfer some funds monthly to the other account using an automatic transfer.

Oct 7 02:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Value Investing: Strategy, Picks And Thoughts [View article]
    Tuliptown:

Google 'taxes on foreign stock dividends' and you will find a SA article on the subject. Good question. There are some differences in whether the account is taxable or not. You can recover some (all) foreign taxes in taxable accounts when you file fed taxes. Not so in IRA type accounts, except Canada (for one) doesn't tax stocks held in IRAs.

Hope this helps.

Sep 16 06:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Triangle Capital's Dividend Sustainable? [View article]
    Thanks for the research and article. I am long TCAP.

Sep 2 08:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 3 Key Elements Of A Bond ETF [View article]
    Matt:

Thanks for your article.

It is my feeling that bond ETF prices tend to track inline with the equity market. Is this perception correct? If so, do you know why?

Thanks.

Aug 20 09:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ivy Portfolio Strategy: Keep It Simple, Stupid [View article]
    Matthew:

Thanks for the interesting article. What do you think about using the 200dma and the 30dma (as an example) for buy/sell decisions? It appears to cut the number of trades when the market is going sideways.

Aug 8 11:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing - The End Game [View article]
    Yebrevo:

I am not assuming anything. Linear dividend growth is where dividends increase by the same amount in dollars each year.

Thanks for your comment.

Jun 23 10:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Trade-Off Between Dividend Growth, Current Yield And Price Appreciation [View article]
    Craig:

Very interesting 2 articles. I have downloaded them for further study.

I don't agree with all you have said, but totally enjoy fresh thinking. I can pick the nuggets out of the pan.

Thanks for your efforts.

Jun 13 10:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chowder Rule Vs. Figure Of Merit [View article]
    Hardog:

Thanks for the reply.
    Are you having trouble applying the formulas or are trying to understand them? Applying should be easy, just plug in the values for Y and DG.
    As for understanding, you don't need to follow the math. Look at the Y vs. DG graphs. The plot show blue dots that represent these values for individual stocks. The goal is to separate out stocks that have a low combination of Y and DG. You could draw a line on the graph, straight or any shape that separates the good from the 'bad'. Math has nothing to do with that. The fact that some shapes you draw can easily be expressed as a mathematical , just makes it easier; i.e., you don't need to generate the graph. That may also be hard for some to do.

As far as being sure that the line you draw corresponds to the formula I write, take specific Y and DG values and apply them to the formula and see that they correspond to the line on the graph.
    For example, the straight line in 2nd graph is Y+DG=12. If DG is zero, then Y=12 and it does.

As far as the other stuff is concerned, don't worry about it. I was just trying to show that my formulas had a relationship with YOC.

Obviously, I prefer my formulas because, as I said, the part of the graph I am interested in is the higher DG, low Y part. Here all pass the CR test, but my formulas can have pass/fail candidates.

I hope this helps your understanding.

Jun 13 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Trade Down On Yield Without Losing Income [View article]
    C:

Thanks for the comments.
    I don't have any growth stocks. I am in retirement and need the income. I think probably growth stocks might be OK for pre-retirement. I think you would have to buy them at market lows and sell at market highs, but that is hard to do.
    I am pretty much fully invested. If I sell, I generally buy that same day to wash out the ups and downs of the market.
    Hope this helps.

Jun 12 09:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing - The End Game [View article]
    My pleasure.
    Jun 11 11:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chowder Rule Vs. Figure Of Merit [View article]
    G

Again, thanks for your comments.

Jun 11 11:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing - The End Game [View article]
    G

I hope you will find it useful.

Thanks for the comment.

Jun 11 09:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chowder Rule Vs. Figure Of Merit [View article]
    Eddie:

You are right! It should be increase.

Thanks.

Jun 11 12:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing - The End Game [View article]
    M
    Go for it, just don't shoot the messenger,

Jun 10 10:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portfolio Boot Camp [View article]
    C:

Thanks for your comments.

As I have stated in other SA articles, I think the amount of money you have invested in any one stock is about equal to what you could afford to lose. I say that having 100+, but as you are starting out, a smaller number is OK. Example: You are investing in a IRA where the yearly contribution is $2000. Invest that in one stock, the next year another. Over time this will sort itself out.

Good luck, you now on the right track.

Jun 10 08:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment