Roger Newman

View Roger Newman's Comments BY TICKER:
  • This Pandora Rally Screams Caution [View article]
    I have tried Pandora. You do not get to select your song and one random song from an artist hardly means choosing your selection.
    Nov 27 03:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Pandora Rally Screams Caution [View article]
    I think that you miss the main thrust of the Act. Pandora is trying merely to pay no more than terrestrial radio. The artists have no say currently as the rate is mandated by the panel. I see no common sense reason why one distribution method (internet) should pay significantly more than another (terrestrial). Your analysis of access to songs is also misplaced. On Pandora a listener does not have the option of choosing a song or even a particular artist. The system provides the songs and, unless you subscribe, you may only "skip" a limited number of songs per hour. While you can certainly tailor your "station" you are still provided content by P, just as you are with radio. While I have my own concerns about P's business model, I think that you are not properly framing the argument here.
    Nov 27 03:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GAIN Preferred: A Monthly Pay Preferred Trading Near Call With A 7% Yield? [View article]
    I can't believe I missed that but you are correct, it is Gladstone Capital Corp. preferred, not Gladstone Investment Corp. but I think the analysis holds...
    Nov 26 03:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Obamacare Leads To Lower Unemployment? [View article]
    You are one of few. This is but a step in a progression toward a socialist medical system - yuck!
    Nov 13 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay Likely To Take A Breather After These Results [View article]
    That's bold. Wait for a 20% drop on a well executing company to buy shares? I would similarly be happy to buy SPY at 115, a 20% drop, or how about AAPL at 500?
    Oct 18 01:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil (IOC) +5.8% premarket on reports the company's JV is planning on selling half of two gas fields it owns in Papua New Guinea to the government and local owners, a move that may unlock development of a new $6B-plus export project. IOC also enters into a $100M secured term loan facility with BNP Paribas and other banks. [View news story]
    Planning on selling is half the equation. Is the government planning on buying?
    Oct 16 10:08 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pandora - Can You Make Money In Online Radio? [View article]
    Interesting that you are pretty negative on Pandora while mentioning that Amazon and Google could be interested in the sector. It would be faster and less expensive for one of these companies to buy Pandora (about a $2Billion market cap) than to put in the time to create the service. They also get access to Pandora's current subscribers, a whole new list of potential customers for both companies. I think that the smart move for AMZN or GOOG would be to buy Pandora. P's success has a number of different possible pathways...
    Oct 1 10:27 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Punkslaps Apple - Cook Makes Strategic Error [View article]
    You should all be using Waze, an app that has the best turn by turn directions I have used yet, in addition to traffic and police location info!
    Sep 21 02:08 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil (IOC +5.5%) shares are spiking on a report from Papua New Guinea suggesting an "important announcement" coming; the news could involve the bidding for an operating stake of IOC's Gulf LNG project and its Elk-Antelope field in the country. [View news story]
    I would be impressed and surprised to see something concrete come of this...
    Sep 19 01:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil (IOC +3.9%) jumps higher following reports that Korea Gas has formed a consortium with Mitsui and Japan Petroleum Exploration to participate in IOC's $5.4B LNG project in Papua New Guinea. [View news story]
    They have been talking about this since February. Just Google IOC and Korea Gas. Many articles from February and apparently IOC retained IBank to solicit potential partners by Dec. 2011. Was extended by a "few months" and we are still hearing rumors. Could be a deal out there but we have been down this road before...
    Aug 23 10:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil: Setting The Record Straight [View article]
    Are you stating that there will be a substantive decision when the NEC meets this week. I have long been frustrated by what's coming with IOC and it never does. I would appreciate someone making a call and standing by it.

Also, I am somewhat of a novice with respect to SEC regulations but your statement "It would certainly make sense for Shell to buy up to 20% of InterOil's common stock in the open market" begs a question. Wouldn't RDS be required to file with the SEC if it acquires 5% of IOC. You seem to imply that they could acquire 20% in the open market but I'm not sure they can do that without full disclosure...
    Aug 20 12:27 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil Rally Likely To Continue [View article]
    It is a never ending cycle with this company. Big press release to prop up the stock followed by back steps and the stock goes back down. I don't see any real business or operational progress.
    Aug 15 01:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil Rally Likely To Continue [View article]
    10:17 AM InterOil (IOC -5.7%) shares slide after a trifecta of disappointing news this week: disappointing Q2 results, a report of potentially waning interest for its Papua New Guinea exploration licenses, and George Soros' liquidation of his entire 1.6M-share stake in the company. Shares have shed 13.5% on the week
    Aug 15 10:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil Rally Likely To Continue [View article]
    CMGI his highs for years before it fell to earth. Performance of a stock is no indication of its value or future movement. If you believe it is, I have tons of stock I can sell you, just ask
    Aug 15 10:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil Rally Likely To Continue [View article]
    You expect that also?!?! lol, IOC will have its pumpers until the day it goes out of business.
    Aug 14 03:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment