Roger Newman

View Roger Newman's Comments BY TICKER:
  • MLPs And The Hidden Benefit [View article]
    The step up in basis applies to any investment at time of death. What these other investments do not offer is essentially tax free distributions as return of capital which can then be "reset" at the time of death.
    Jan 29, 2013. 01:32 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MLPs And The Hidden Benefit [View article]
    Some people already know about this benefit but I thought that there were definitely people out there who did not. I am pleased that I could help you with your strategy on what is a great investment area!
    Jan 29, 2013. 11:15 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MLPs And The Hidden Benefit [View article]
    You are absolutely correct and thank you for pointing that out. I meant to say that once you have recovered your basis that amount will be taxed as ordinary income. By the way, I am a recovering attorney as well!
    Jan 29, 2013. 11:14 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AIG With A 7% Yield [View article]
    I also like the common for the next few years at least
    Jan 29, 2013. 09:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AIG With A 7% Yield [View article]
    No actually readers should do their own due diligence and not rely on ANY Seeking Alpha articles. Amazing that one mistake can invalidate all of my research and opinions over the time I have been writing. Hope no one casts any generalizations on you for one action. By the way, I didn't forget the yield to call, but forgot to mention it in the article. Like I said, try writing a number of articles yourself and see how perfect they are.

By the way, after two payments at even the current high prices, you will have earned a positive return even with a call. The next payment due to holders is in about six weeks.
    Jan 28, 2013. 03:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AIG With A 7% Yield [View article]
    Wow, lying or incompetent. What a choice. I'm sure you have never forgotten to mention something in your life. I wish I were perfect like you. It's easy to comment on someone else's article and I'd be happy to follow you and comment on yours but I notice you've never authored an article. Much easier to pick apart someone else's work.Anyone who invests solely on a Seeking Alpha article shouldn't be on the site in the first place. Most people know that they should perform their own due diligence before committing their hard earned money to anything.
    Jan 28, 2013. 01:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Obamacare Leads To Lower Unemployment? [View article]
    While I did not intend this to be a political article, I cannot disagree with Freedoms Truth or leid back investor. I am concerned that, as a country, we are placing too much emphasis on income equalization and not on innovation, but that is a topic for a very different article.

Freedoms, the biggest problem that I see with amnesty is that we are training the best and brightest of the world at our universities and then sending them home because we do not want to grant them visas to stay here and put all of the newly developed expertise to work for US!
    Jan 28, 2013. 08:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AIG With A 7% Yield [View article]
    Yield to call is certainly very important but likelihood of call is even more so. If you read the article closely I recommended that investors wait for a lower price.
    Jan 28, 2013. 08:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Obama REIT: A Secure 7% Yield [View article]
    Sam - Regardless of per capita spending, Obama will not be cutting departments or laying off employees, all of which bodes well for a REIT that rents to the government.
    Jan 28, 2013. 08:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AIG With A 7% Yield [View article]
    If you feel that way I can suggest the RBS preferred issues. A number of them are trading below par with great yields. Although this may not be one of the strongest financials out there it is far from the worst and at least seems to be on the road to recovery.
    Jan 25, 2013. 06:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AIG With A 7% Yield [View article]
    James, I like the company and do believe that they will reinstate a dividend sooner rather than later. Good Luck and watch for more yield plays...
    Jan 25, 2013. 03:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AIG With A 7% Yield [View article]
    Honestly have no idea but I'd be surprised to see it happen imminently. Something to watch for sure.
    Jan 25, 2013. 08:59 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AIG With A 7% Yield [View article]
    That may be true hksche but AVF may work better for an investor who needs the income
    Jan 25, 2013. 08:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AIG With A 7% Yield [View article]
    Thanks rl, that's why I mentioned possibly waiting for the issue to trade closer to the low end of its recent range...
    Jan 24, 2013. 10:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Obama REIT: A Secure 7% Yield [View article]
    A number of the offices are leased to agencies such as the Department of Justice (FBI). If the feds were to stop leasing properties, that would adversely impact property prices, lowering property taxes, putting local governments in somewhat of a bind. Think of it as a subsidy to local governments as well...
    Jan 18, 2013. 08:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment