Roger Newman

View Roger Newman's Comments BY TICKER:
  • AIG With A 7% Yield [View article]
    If you feel that way I can suggest the RBS preferred issues. A number of them are trading below par with great yields. Although this may not be one of the strongest financials out there it is far from the worst and at least seems to be on the road to recovery.
    Jan 25, 2013. 06:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AIG With A 7% Yield [View article]
    James, I like the company and do believe that they will reinstate a dividend sooner rather than later. Good Luck and watch for more yield plays...
    Jan 25, 2013. 03:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AIG With A 7% Yield [View article]
    Honestly have no idea but I'd be surprised to see it happen imminently. Something to watch for sure.
    Jan 25, 2013. 08:59 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AIG With A 7% Yield [View article]
    That may be true hksche but AVF may work better for an investor who needs the income
    Jan 25, 2013. 08:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AIG With A 7% Yield [View article]
    Thanks rl, that's why I mentioned possibly waiting for the issue to trade closer to the low end of its recent range...
    Jan 24, 2013. 10:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Obama REIT: A Secure 7% Yield [View article]
    A number of the offices are leased to agencies such as the Department of Justice (FBI). If the feds were to stop leasing properties, that would adversely impact property prices, lowering property taxes, putting local governments in somewhat of a bind. Think of it as a subsidy to local governments as well...
    Jan 18, 2013. 08:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Obama REIT: A Secure 7% Yield [View article]
    See http://bit.ly/V2t32E for a better explanation on evaluating REITs and the use of FFO (Funds from Operations). Earnings are not a good measure for this type of entity. For the three months ending 9/30/12 FFO was $0.54 per share and the dividend appears safe.
    Jan 15, 2013. 01:45 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Obama REIT: A Secure 7% Yield [View article]
    David, my apologies, I got this mixed up with another article I am writing *#@%
    Jan 14, 2013. 03:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • "Death of Equities?" Assets in fixed income hedge funds are set to overtake those in equity strategies for the first time in the history of the industry, according to HFR. The move jibes with other stories from 2012 about the abandoning of stocks for the "safety" of fixed income. [View news story]
    C'mon people, hedge funds have the smartest people on the planet, right? right?
    Dec 10, 2012. 01:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Pandora Rally Screams Caution [View article]
    I have never heard of a company's cost structure being relevant in royalty rates?
    Nov 27, 2012. 03:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • This Pandora Rally Screams Caution [View article]
    I have tried Pandora. You do not get to select your song and one random song from an artist hardly means choosing your selection.
    Nov 27, 2012. 03:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This Pandora Rally Screams Caution [View article]
    I think that you miss the main thrust of the Act. Pandora is trying merely to pay no more than terrestrial radio. The artists have no say currently as the rate is mandated by the panel. I see no common sense reason why one distribution method (internet) should pay significantly more than another (terrestrial). Your analysis of access to songs is also misplaced. On Pandora a listener does not have the option of choosing a song or even a particular artist. The system provides the songs and, unless you subscribe, you may only "skip" a limited number of songs per hour. While you can certainly tailor your "station" you are still provided content by P, just as you are with radio. While I have my own concerns about P's business model, I think that you are not properly framing the argument here.
    Nov 27, 2012. 03:01 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GAIN Preferred: A Monthly Pay Preferred Trading Near Call With A 7% Yield? [View article]
    I can't believe I missed that but you are correct, it is Gladstone Capital Corp. preferred, not Gladstone Investment Corp. but I think the analysis holds...
    Nov 26, 2012. 03:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Obamacare Leads To Lower Unemployment? [View article]
    You are one of few. This is but a step in a progression toward a socialist medical system - yuck!
    Nov 13, 2012. 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay Likely To Take A Breather After These Results [View article]
    That's bold. Wait for a 20% drop on a well executing company to buy shares? I would similarly be happy to buy SPY at 115, a 20% drop, or how about AAPL at 500?
    Oct 18, 2012. 01:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment