Roger Newman

View Roger Newman's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Perfect Income Security: An Update On Tortoise Energy Infrastructure Preferred CEF [View article]
    There is a list of 8 "other ones" in my previous article here http://seekingalpha.co... along with a discussion of the class.
    Apr 26 08:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • RAM Energy Partners: The Start Of Something Great Or A Terrific Short? [View article]
    Thanks Keith. As posted, I would have exited my short despite not being inclined as a daytrader.
    Jan 24 04:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Although I not generally a day trader, I would close out my short here at about $3.40 from a price around $3.90 when published!
    Jan 24 03:04 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    This article is not meant as a recommendation that you short expecting the stock to go to zero. It is my opinion that over the next few months this could produce profits to the short investor.
    Jan 24 02:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Agreed for now. The reverse split will bring either buyers based on being over a $5 and $10 price hurdle or downward pressure. Wilson did pick RAM but they have very big shoes to fill with that market cap.
    Jan 24 01:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Cash does not necessarily translate into earnings. This isn't the early days of the shale rush. New land is VERY expensive and E&P companies are not valued on cash as they tend to burn it pretty quickly.
    Jan 24 12:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Rivernorth Core Opportunity Fund: Capitalizing On CEF Pricing Inefficiencies [View article]
    KDizzle - SPE has a somewhat different approach in that they also invest in business development companies and auction rate securities. A close cousin but not as pure a play on the closed end fund discount phenomenon.
    Sep 22 02:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks KDizzle. I was hoping to get this type of feedback as I was unaware of an alternative. I will start my due diligence now.
    Sep 22 12:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heckmann Corporation: It's All About The Water [View article]
    Thanks John. I understand your analysis, I was just saying that there is no upfront investment cost on the part of the driller that binds them to HEK.
    Sep 16 11:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heckmann Corporation: It's All About The Water [View article]
    Interesting analysis. I have followed HEK and owned some shares that I sold prior to the recent drop. I like the company and its prospects.

I do, however, take issue with your suggestion that this is a "razor blade" business. A "razor blade" business is one in which the customer purchases a hard asset and MUST continue to purchase the consumables in order to use the hard asset. ISRG, for example, sells a surgical robot. In order to continue using that robot, you MUST purchase the patented consumables that are necessary to perform operations.

HEK sells no "hard" product which requires the follow-on use of a soft disposable. Although they may be the best provider of this service, and I agree that they are, there is no fixed investment that prevents a customer from changing to a competitor.
    Sep 16 10:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dream Team Of Speculative Biopharm [View article]
    Great article, love the tie-in to NBA players - VERY creative!
    Sep 12 06:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • StemCells' 1-for-10 Reverse Stock Split [View article]
    So true. Statistics show that reverse splits rarely present good buying opportunities. There are always exceptions, but I'll go with the odds here with securities that have to artificially inflate their trading price.
    Sep 12 03:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Unique Class Of Preferreds: The Perfect Income Security? [View article]
    Well you know something! These securities are the perfect ones to have on your watch list for instances in which the market drops irrationally. Although the "power wasn't going out" back in the 2008-2009 period, many investors were having their margin called, including many hedge funds. This induced forced selling at any price to get liquid and as these securities are not the most liquid, any sustained selling cannot be met with matching demand. There are select times during which safe, high-yielding securities can be purchased well below value, much as you did with Alabama Power. Wish I had made the same purchase back then!

Thanks
    Sep 12 08:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Unique Class Of Preferreds: The Perfect Income Security? [View article]
    Always bought back at par.
    Sep 12 08:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Unique Class Of Preferreds: The Perfect Income Security? [View article]
    There are also a few other sites that I have found helpful, namely preferredstockguide.com, epreferreds.com and a subscription service cdx3investor.com. I also utilize research materials from a few of the wire houses...
    Sep 9 03:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment