Roger Newman

View Roger Newman's Comments BY TICKER:
  • InterOil: Setting The Record Straight [View article]
    Are you stating that there will be a substantive decision when the NEC meets this week. I have long been frustrated by what's coming with IOC and it never does. I would appreciate someone making a call and standing by it.

Also, I am somewhat of a novice with respect to SEC regulations but your statement "It would certainly make sense for Shell to buy up to 20% of InterOil's common stock in the open market" begs a question. Wouldn't RDS be required to file with the SEC if it acquires 5% of IOC. You seem to imply that they could acquire 20% in the open market but I'm not sure they can do that without full disclosure...
    Aug 20 12:27 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil Rally Likely To Continue [View article]
    It is a never ending cycle with this company. Big press release to prop up the stock followed by back steps and the stock goes back down. I don't see any real business or operational progress.
    Aug 15 01:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil Rally Likely To Continue [View article]
    10:17 AM InterOil (IOC -5.7%) shares slide after a trifecta of disappointing news this week: disappointing Q2 results, a report of potentially waning interest for its Papua New Guinea exploration licenses, and George Soros' liquidation of his entire 1.6M-share stake in the company. Shares have shed 13.5% on the week
    Aug 15 10:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil Rally Likely To Continue [View article]
    CMGI his highs for years before it fell to earth. Performance of a stock is no indication of its value or future movement. If you believe it is, I have tons of stock I can sell you, just ask
    Aug 15 10:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil Rally Likely To Continue [View article]
    You expect that also?!?! lol, IOC will have its pumpers until the day it goes out of business.
    Aug 14 03:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil Rally Likely To Continue [View article]
    Here's an interesting fact. IOC has suggested that majors are looking at its properties numerous times yet no deal has ever been reached. If the asset was all that you claim it to be, the majors would be tripping over themselves to become involved. Instead, they express interest, conduct due diligence and then their interest wanes. I would be on the majors over your opinion any time.
    Aug 14 10:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil (IOC -3.9%) is lower on chatter suggesting waning interest from Royal Dutch Shell (RDS.A, RDS.B) in a potential deal for IOC's Papua New Guinea exploration licenses. [View news story]
    RDS would just be the latest in companies that have been involved in talks with IOC only to back away...
    Aug 13 01:55 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hedge Funds Love These 3 High-Growth Drugmakers [View article]
    Be very careful if you think about going long HZNP. They just announced up to a $170 million offering (major dilution) and currently have a junk loan that costs them more in interest each quarter than their total drug sales. Not to mention that Deuxis, their recently approved drug, is nothing more than a combination of Pepcid and Ibuprofen which are both available over the counter at substantially lower cost. Perhaps health plans will cover this drug but I don't see why they would.
    Aug 10 12:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil: Opportunity Of A Lifetime [View article]
    Wow, zero risk. That's as good as a Treasury bond. I wish I could make an equity investment with zero risk. This is representative of the hype that followers ascribe to IOC's prospects. There is no such thing as a zero risk exploration company, never has been and never will be. Not to say that IOC can't succeed but no risk? NO WAY!
    Aug 7 06:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil: Opportunity Of A Lifetime [View article]
    IOC has been about to explode in price for essentially its entire life. I would enter this with a healthy dose of skepticism. Just because a billionaire makes a large investment in no way validates the thesis. Just ask John Paulson about his investment in Chinese reverse merger companies or his losses in gold. This stock has been pumped so often on message boards and here on SA that I have lost count. Interesting that this is your first and only article. Perhaps you have written before under a different name(s)?
    Jul 25 04:14 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • RAM Energy Partners: The Start Of Something Great Or A Terrific Short? [View article]
    Just saw this and glad you took the profit!
    Jul 23 09:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Deeply Undervalued Oil And Gas Stocks That Are A Strong Buy, 1 With Huge Downside [View article]
    Remember, big names make mistakes as well. John Paulson lost significant sums in a Chinese reverse merger company. I wouldn't call him an amateur. You should never rely on the fact that other firms have invested but should perform your own due diligence. By the way, IOC has been on the verge of major news nearly its entire life and it is headed by an individual who has a very questionable background. I have no position.
    Jul 20 09:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Opko Health: Shorting Is The Best Diagnosis [View article]
    I heartily agree with Pablo. You may choose not to be long OPK but to short it in the face of monthly purchases by Frost who could buy the entire float if he so chose? I doubt that you will see enough of a drop to make a short at these levels very profitable unless your timing is very good in light of its normal volatility. As they say, don't fight the fed and in this case, don't fight Frost, just choose not to participate.
    Jun 12 08:19 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Better Than A Money Market, With A Warrant To Boot [View article]
    Personally the way I view this investment is that I will get my principal back plus some "better than money market" return and the warrants are my capital gain call option. Once the transaction closes (IF it closes), I own the warrant for "free". I tend to hold the warrants past closing and watch them/the company to see if I want to hold or sell. At that point, I view the warrants as I would any other long holding and follow it accordingly.
    Jun 11 04:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Better Than A Money Market, With A Warrant To Boot [View article]
    Thanks for your reply. I wouldn't say this has some hair on it. All of the funds are held in short-dated treasuries with a trustee. SPACs do have the security of a money market with higher rates. They do not have "fixed" price but will generate better yields than a money market if held to maturity, which is usually just more than a year. Perhaps a better analogy would have been to an 18 month CD?
    Jun 9 11:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment