Roger Newman

View Roger Newman's Comments BY TICKER:
  • An 8.8% Yield Paid Every Month Since 2007 [View article]
    You could certainly be right and there is risk involved. I'll take the chance and the risk/reward seems reasonable to me.
    Dec 17, 2013. 06:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An 8.8% Yield Paid Every Month Since 2007 [View article]
    Thanks Eppoh, I was unaware of the common trading. I agree, a great performing, and paying, little company!
    Dec 17, 2013. 05:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An 8.8% Yield Paid Every Month Since 2007 [View article]
    James, you were lucky to get shares at par. Hasn't seen that level recently but I agree, limit orders are the way to play this one.
    Dec 17, 2013. 02:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An 8.8% Yield Paid Every Month Since 2007 [View article]
    You may be right and we cannot know that in advance. I do place some weight however on the fact that this issue has been callable for years now, including the past few when interest rates have been so low. It is a risk, as I do disclose in the second to last paragraph, but one that I feel is worth taking, at least for me.
    Dec 17, 2013. 01:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Portfolio Returned 38.29% This Year, Here's What I'm Doing For 2014 [View article]
    Because it outperformed the S&P 500 in 2013 by 10% you would expect the same out-performance in 2014? Based on what? The phrase "past performance is no indication of future returns" is a common one for a reason. Your article seems to essentially state that because it happened this year it should happen next year. That is a very dangerous premise to putting your hard-earned money at risk and readers should be much more skeptical. I can back test any number of strategies that out performed the S&P or DOW in 2013 but there is no likelihood it will do so again in 2014, no matter whose famous market name is attached to it! Many investors have lost a great deal of money by trying to chase the hot hand. Beware...
    Dec 6, 2013. 01:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ImmunoCellular Is A High Risk, High Reward Biopharma [View article]
    I have no position at all but would like to know why you call it a scam. Criticizing someone else is easy but coming up with your own thesis is much more difficult whether he is a paid writer or not. If he is paid and nothing more than a promoter, it should be easy for you to cut down his arguments with facts.
    Dec 2, 2013. 10:09 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ImmunoCellular Is A High Risk, High Reward Biopharma [View article]
    Why do you believe that NWBO is a scam? Do you have any scientific evidence to back this up? Are you short?
    Dec 2, 2013. 09:13 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JCP: Ullman's Buy Is Very Meaningful [View article]
    When you say that a stock is dead money, it means that it isn't going to go up, not that it is going to collapse. I am not overweight to the short side although I believe that is the place to be. You expose your lack of knowledge by not knowing what dead money refers to.
    Nov 27, 2013. 09:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JCP: Ullman's Buy Is Very Meaningful [View article]
    Ummm, you're happy about a $5 price target? Survival does not make a bull case. It is just that, survival, not leadership or out-performance. At best, I think JCP is dead money for longs.
    Nov 26, 2013. 05:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Improving A Simple SPY Trading Model [View article]
    Curve fitting is very dangerous. That is exactly what you have done. There is absolutely no evidence that curve fitting the past will produce any better returns in the future. Cutting your analysis to the best single day (i.e. 79th) is a disservice to SA readers. If you ran this analysis one year ago you may have come up with the 99th day. That wouldn't have been optimized going forward as you proved. Computational power can be very dangerous in investing if in the wrong hands.
    Nov 26, 2013. 11:55 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Total Return Pricing For BDCs [View article]
    If you were a holder of HTGC would you consider selling to buy MAIN which, based on your work, seems to have better valuation and potential going forward?
    Nov 20, 2013. 10:38 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BDC Returns For Q3 2013: Part 1 [View article]
    Buzz, thanks as always for your insight. I am thinking that HTGC is getting pricey here and wonder what your suggested replacement would be for total return?

Thanks!
    Nov 14, 2013. 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ranking ETFs For Portfolio Update [View instapost]
    I find this type of analysis to be quite interesting. Do you have any back tested information as to its performance under different market conditions?
    Nov 11, 2013. 03:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BDCs With The Highest Growth Potential [View article]
    Thanks for all of your hard work in this area, it is appreciated. I have recently read a few of your articles and seem to remember you calling HTGC one of the best BDC's out there but also calling it overvalued at the current price. Do you consider this a cash the chips opportunity?

Thanks
    Oct 25, 2013. 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Obama REIT: A Secure 7% Yield [View article]
    I have been out of this name for some time due to the issues surrounding the managers.
    Oct 19, 2013. 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment