Roger Newman

View Roger Newman's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The smart money appears to be still long GameStop (GME +3.2%), according to the hedge fund trackers at Insider Monkey. The stock was held in 26 of the bigger funds tracked at the end of Q1, an increase from the end of the year despite the growing consternation over the used game business model. [View news story]
    I am surprised to see this comment. The Microsoft announcement came after the reporting date for the 13F reports. After that report, funds could have sold their positions in reaction. To suggest that the funds are long even in light of the Microsoft announcement regarding the new XBox and how it deals with used games is simply misleading. This post should be retracted.
    May 30, 2013. 12:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil (IOC) +10.1% premarket on news it has entered into exclusive negotiations with ExxonMobil (XOM) to develop the Elk and Antelope gas fields IOC owns in Papua New Guinea. The discussions include the possibility of XOM purchasing a stake in Petroleum Retention License 15 and providing funding to drill additional wells in the Elk and Antelope fields. [View news story]
    Hmmm. That was a short-lived 10% pop?
    May 24, 2013. 10:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Medical Marijuana: Get Out Now [View article]
    Last time I looked there wasn't a borrow so can't get short anyway. I tried with Medbox as well but no luck there either.
    May 23, 2013. 03:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Interoil: Let's Get Ready To Fumble [View article]
    Someone just needs to start asking this question on every conf call for a major. Easy to narrow down the targets.
    May 20, 2013. 05:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Interoil: Let's Get Ready To Fumble [View article]
    I folded some time ago as well. I had played both sides of this story in the past. I just don't like raising my bets without even knowing my own hand!
    May 17, 2013. 01:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Scary Charts Warning Of The Next Financial Crisis [View article]
    Good luck being long the yen when the BOJ is going to trash it! Stay away!
    May 13, 2013. 01:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Scary Charts Warning Of The Next Financial Crisis [View article]
    I agree with you in concept but in practicality, I'm not sure that the day of reckoning must necessarily come.
    May 13, 2013. 01:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Scary Charts Warning Of The Next Financial Crisis [View article]
    Lone NIKKEI, short yen OR... a hedged Japanese equity fund.
    May 13, 2013. 01:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Scary Charts Warning Of The Next Financial Crisis [View article]
    That has been the argument for the short treasuries strategy. It will be right at some point but many very wealthy people have lost a great deal trying to time that trade...
    May 13, 2013. 01:43 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Scary Charts Warning Of The Next Financial Crisis [View article]
    You are correct about default. As with the US, a default is merely theoretical.
    May 13, 2013. 01:41 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Interoil: Let's Get Ready To Fumble [View article]
    I may be mistaken but I do not believe that any press releases have been made by the bankers. If I am wrong, could you please provide a link. I would really like to know.

Thanks
    May 9, 2013. 03:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Interoil: Let's Get Ready To Fumble [View article]
    I agree with your thesis. Here's the problem, the risk/reward. Shorting this stock is very dangerous as the risk is huge on the slim chance that they can monetize. The problem with options is that the market has been VERY patient with IOC allowing it to continually delay any meaningful announcement. Premium is also very high. How do monetize your short bet? That is my question!!!
    May 9, 2013. 02:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Linn Energy: A Solid Choice For Income [View article]
    Albert - I see you've written a few times on LINE. Any thoughts on this weekend's Barron's article citing a fair value of less than $20 per share?
    May 5, 2013. 10:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Growing MLPs With High Dividend Yields [View article]
    Avi - any thoughts about this weekend's Barron's article claiming a fair value for LINE at less than $20?
    May 5, 2013. 10:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Capital Agency Corp. Reports A Nightmare Quarter [View article]
    Remember also that MBS pricing has already firmed up from the end of the quarter which will increase book value.
    May 3, 2013. 02:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment