Roger Newman

View Roger Newman's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Placing Northwest Biotherapeutics In The Figure-4 Deadfall Trap [View article]
    I would love to hear your response to the fact that Dr. Buzdar has released results at a similar stage in trials. This is the very thing for which he criticizes NWBO. I take no position on the the efficacy of the drug, just the credibility of one of its critics. Any factual thoughts on this?
    Jun 26 11:48 AM | 15 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vanguard Natural Resources: Valuation Targets Price At $20 [View article]
    LOL, p/e as a measure for LP's is almost as funny as using it for REITs.
    Oct 9 04:13 PM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Day I Sold Everything [View article]
    Unless you have a systematic plan to time the market, a plan that has not changed for years, I believe that you have succumbed to the perils of behavioral finance. This is precisely the reason that people don't make as much as the funds in which they invest. They are simply ill-equipped to make investment decisions without factoring in their emotions. You feel the market is too high. Have you been using your indicators for the past 10 years, live or simulated? mts's comment, "I have "sold out" and "hedged" each once. Both times I've regretted it. To each his own," is instructive. If the "professionals" can't consistently and accurately predict the market, what makes you think that you can. How will you feel if we gain another 10 - 15% before end of year. Not saying we will but active investors, without a stable system, invariably lose out over time. Be very careful, adhere to a system, or turn your account over to a professional who will not be swayed by a gut feeling...
    Jul 25 05:25 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Why, because it didn't support his thesis of course.
    Jun 26 04:06 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Scary Charts Warning Of The Next Financial Crisis [View article]
    You are correct about default. As with the US, a default is merely theoretical.
    May 13 01:41 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Unique Class Of Preferreds: The Perfect Income Security? [View article]
    Your comment about Auction Rate Preferreds is a good one. The advantage here is that the fund MUST redeem if the ratio falls below 2:1 and their collateral is common stock which, of course, is VERY liquid. TYG, for example, recently had a coverage ratio of over 10:1!
    Sep 8 10:38 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I am cheering for NWBO to be successful if only to see what kind of reaction that prompts from AF. My bet is that he will simply ignore any substantially positive developments and move on to another target. A journalist with integrity would come out and admit that they were wrong. Of course the jury is still out on NWBO but it will be very interesting to watch this play out. Does anyone know of a company that AF hit and subsequently went on to approval? What happened there. I would have a great deal more respect for AF if he actually admitted mistakes...
    Jun 26 03:07 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Annaly Capital gets new CFO [View news story]
    eltito, don't make the mistake of looking at your purchase price when making a decision. The correct decision (in addition to taking tax issues into account) is whether you would want to buy NLY at this price or is there a better place for your money. I am not giving an opinion but forward performance is the only thing that matters, not how much you may be behind...
    Aug 19 05:24 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Capital Agency Corp.'s Detailed Dividend Sustainability Analysis [View article]
    Scott - I think we would all appreciate your updated analysis in light of this afternoon's earnings announcement...
    May 2 05:05 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MLPs And The Hidden Benefit [View article]
    Some people already know about this benefit but I thought that there were definitely people out there who did not. I am pleased that I could help you with your strategy on what is a great investment area!
    Jan 29 11:15 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Punkslaps Apple - Cook Makes Strategic Error [View article]
    You should all be using Waze, an app that has the best turn by turn directions I have used yet, in addition to traffic and police location info!
    Sep 21 02:08 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • InterOil: Setting The Record Straight [View article]
    Are you stating that there will be a substantive decision when the NEC meets this week. I have long been frustrated by what's coming with IOC and it never does. I would appreciate someone making a call and standing by it.

Also, I am somewhat of a novice with respect to SEC regulations but your statement "It would certainly make sense for Shell to buy up to 20% of InterOil's common stock in the open market" begs a question. Wouldn't RDS be required to file with the SEC if it acquires 5% of IOC. You seem to imply that they could acquire 20% in the open market but I'm not sure they can do that without full disclosure...
    Aug 20 12:27 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 New Extremely Overvalued Shorts [View article]
    Agree with many other comments. It isn't actually that difficult to find companies like this but finding shares is impossible. This is nothing more than a theoretical exercise not worthy of being read.
    Sep 2 02:52 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Public Apology To Adam Feuerstein On Northwest Biotherapeutics [View article]
    Apologies never seem to be forthcoming...
    May 22 04:22 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Obama REIT: A Secure 7% Yield [View article]
    See http://bit.ly/V2t32E for a better explanation on evaluating REITs and the use of FFO (Funds from Operations). Earnings are not a good measure for this type of entity. For the three months ending 9/30/12 FFO was $0.54 per share and the dividend appears safe.
    Jan 15 01:45 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment