Roger Nusbaum

View Roger Nusbaum's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The (Investment) World Is Changing And You Need To Get On Board [View article]
    obviously there will be far fewer people with pensions unless you are including Social Security in your comment.
    May 21, 2015. 01:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Close To Retirement And Under-Saved, What Should You Do? [View article]
    certain cities sure, we live in a low cost, semi-rural area and need vehicles.
    May 14, 2015. 12:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    IZZKUBE2.5

Thank you yes, if I was not clear my personal intention is to work (because I enjoy it) and wait.

Of course who know where they will be or how their interests might change in 10 or 20 years, so I try to be cognizant of that as well.

Thanks again
    Apr 26, 2015. 08:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    thanks for the kind word...I should have mentioned my parents split when I was a kid so her benefit did double but yes you are very right that it would have been a hit to her if they'd stayed together
    Apr 23, 2015. 09:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    the $450k income issue is not something I am burdened with LOL
    Apr 23, 2015. 09:54 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    Chancer,

I take a slightly different view. A retired couple (or person) has a desired income need (fixed monthly expenses, unbudgetable surprises and travel budget for example) based on their lifestyle.

Putting aside when to take SS for a moment, that income need will first be met with SS. Then any need beyond would likely come from investments and maybe some sort of part time work.

In that light the 4% would be looked at as being the sustainability point for the portfolio...hopefully. If expenses are $50k, $30k comes from SS and the portfolio has $800k then the $20k needed from the portfolio would not be too much. If in that example the portfolio was only $400k then either the lifestyle needs to be ratcheted down, someone needs to work or the withdrawal rate would exceed the 4% which may or may not be a problem depending how the market does and individual investment performance.
    Apr 22, 2015. 09:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    kingdad,

I may not be following you correctly my father just passed away in February. He was getting his full benefit and my mother was getting the spousal benefit (1/2 of his benefit). Upon his passing her benefit went up to his benefit amount, meaning it doubled.

The start of your comment reads to me like you may not be aware of that. Sorry if I misunderstood.
    Apr 22, 2015. 09:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    Jrp2x,

Roth's make for a good discussion. The tax on converting is a tough obstacle (at least for me) to overcome but we've been contributing to Roth's more recently after doing a conversion in the late 90's. For now they make up about 14% of what we have saved so far.

I am not one who believes the tax treatment will change unfavorably.
    Apr 22, 2015. 08:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    stxmahn,

you are exactly right about learning file and suspend
    Apr 22, 2015. 08:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    I do mention this point, in the third paragraph. If SS is still paying in the same way then my benefit at 70 and half of my FRA for my wife would be just over $4000/mo in today's dollars which is more than the cost of our current monthly expenses. I love my work and hopefully that continues. If it does, then arguably I only need an emergency fund for retirement. This is not to try to convince anyone to do anything, just a scenario where waiting might make sense, at least that is the conclusion I draw for myself.

We are saving like like SS won't be there for us (insolvency/means testing) just in case.
    Apr 22, 2015. 09:27 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    Thanks for the comments guys. I lean toward waiting. I have multiple streams of income and enjoy the work to earn those stream and expect that I will continue to enjoy the work. If that stands up then I will wait. Obviously plenty of people end up needing to take it fairly early for all sorts of reasons which is totally valid. My hope would be that people are reasonably informed before doing anything.
    Apr 21, 2015. 03:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Active/Passive Debate: Others Weigh In [View article]
    Webapalooza,

If you read the myriad of articles from DGI investors on this site and the many comments those articles draw, it is quite clear that many of those folks are far more concerned about their income streams than whether their bottom line beats the market.

Just about every advisory practice has clients who cannot tolerate normal equity market volatility and want there accounts managed accordingly.

Those are just two examples where the goal of active management is not beating the market. Your definition is narrow in scope applying to some portion of investors but not all.

Further, not every active strategy involves decisions about asset classes as you say, plenty of people actively trade broad based index funds trying to outperform the index.
    Apr 16, 2015. 09:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Barron's Recap [View article]
    This area has significant potential with the likelihood of stagnation in both the equity and bond markets lying ahead.

Would mostly agree with you that if equities continue higher many of these will probably not do well but that is the point (sort of), if these are supposed to provide diversification for equity exposure then they should not look like equities, they would hopefully do well when equities struggle.
    Apr 9, 2015. 09:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is A Lost Decade For Performance Coming? [View article]
    I don't disagree that the US market is not cheap but the predictive value of PE ratios hasn't been so good in the past. I also believe in the in the younger population idea as it creates demand, this certainly mattered during the last decade and I think will matter again but not sure when.

It seems plausible to me that all markets and normal inter-market dynamics are distorted for now due to global CB policies.
    Apr 2, 2015. 11:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is A Lost Decade For Performance Coming? [View article]
    How significant do you think a decade or more where rates trend up could be?

I think it would be hugely significant as there has not been a stretch of rising rates that long in too many people's investing lifetime. It is hard to see rates going up for that long if for no other reason than the economic cycle is usually shorter than that and the Fed will lower rates at the next slowdown (unless they are still at zero).

Higher rates is less of a concern than the path to higher rates.
    Apr 2, 2015. 11:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment