Roger Nusbaum

View Roger Nusbaum's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Tiny Houses Can Help Grow A Huge Portfolio [View article]
    I mentioned that the idea of such a small house is a non-starter for most people but the concept is interesting and in general terms; simplification where possible and practical is a net positive.

Clearly simplification will mean different things to different people.
    Apr 11 04:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Can't Retire At 30, Then How About 38? [View article]
    See my comment above about volunteerism--you have an opportunity by virtue of age to help a lot of people for a lot of years.

In addition to my wife's work in animal rescue I am VERY involved with the volunteer fire department where I live and have been for many years already.

Based on how you describe your situation you have an opportunity to be very productive.
    Feb 20 09:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Can't Retire At 30, Then How About 38? [View article]
    Today's Tom Sawyer (great alias)

Why is the alternative to a white collar career puttering on a desert golf course? A lot of people do meaningful volunteer work. My wife volunteers full time for a dog rescue coordinating adoptions, doing marketing, social media for the rescue and a few other things. It is a full time vocation that she loves but happens to not get paid for.

The alternatives to a white collar career are endless. Around here people do seasonal work at state/national parks as one of many other examples.
    Feb 20 08:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Can't Retire At 30, Then How About 38? [View article]
    No affiliation to Marketwatch and no income for this or any SA article.

These types of articles about what other people have done are, for me, fun to read and fun to write about. Your hang up on "promotion" is off the mark. I've been blogging for many of years and generating little to no revenue from posts on my site, it is simply fun.

The pay off has been in having some life experiences I probably would not have otherwise had--meeting people, going to the NYSE a bunch of times (fun), speaking at some conferences and a few other things.

The article is not meant to be a step by step manual, just a light read that might get a couple of people to think about retirement in a way they had not done so before and so maybe get motivated to change their thought process.

You complained when you incorrectly thought I did not respond and then you complained when you found out I had responded so I expect you'll complain again but there is no way to entirely recreate a nine year thread on every post.
    Feb 20 08:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Can't Retire At 30, Then How About 38? [View article]
    um, yeah....I'm the author and I responded at 4:24 EST to the first comment.
    Feb 19 07:22 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Can't Retire At 30, Then How About 38? [View article]
    Michael.

Your comment is reasonable. By way of explanation/clarification this is a topic I have been writing about for over nine years and so have developed a very long term conversation and this post is the latest snippet in the conversation. I looked at your post and over the years these are all things I have covered (except maybe bartering) but in smaller chunks.

If you google 'roger nusbaum monetize a hobby' you will find a lot of articles that are much more specific and there other topics also covered very specifically.
    Feb 19 04:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Retire At 30! [View article]
    "Our occupations are not only what defines us but also gives our lives value and worth."

Gangsta,

While there is nothing wrong with that sentiment it is not an uncommon viewpoint, it should be easy to envision that there are other people who view it completely different than you do.
    Feb 15 06:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Retire At 30! [View article]
    "If you sell 4% every year..."
    Why are you assuming zero dividend? All dividend/no dividend is a false dichotomy.
    Feb 4 08:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Retire At 30! [View article]
    Thanks for all the comments. They capture many divergent views about lifestyle and retirement. Personally I've done work I love for quite a few years and hope to never retire per se.

I did not know their income was actually $80k although I think I allowed for the possibility that it was more than $25k the way I worded the article.

The real point is figuring out how to be happy and then trying to get there while still remembering that life is about the journey not the destination.
    Jan 30 09:16 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 4% Rule Is More Complicated Than You Think [View article]
    It just seems wrong to draw down the aftertax account and let the IRA compound.

similar to getting ten economists in a room and getting eleven opinions, everyone has their own ideas on this stuff.
    Jan 10 08:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 4% Rule Is More Complicated Than You Think [View article]
    This is good stuff. The idea of means testing noted above and being 'penalized' for being responsible loom as real possibilities.

I've been saying for years that one way or another I don't expect to actually receive my SS (either not at all or meaningfully reduced) and we are merely comfortable meeting no reasonable definition of being rich.
    Jan 7 10:17 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Roger Nusbaum Positions For 2014: Starting To Take Defensive Action [View article]
    Pinot44,

if you use diversifiers in your portfolio and they were all up a lot last year then they may not be diversifiers.
    Jan 6 11:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    The attributes of gold (good and bad) are what they are. It sounds like you've sized it up and decided 'not for you.'

This is no different from anything really, for me, the positives outweigh the negatives when modestly sized in the portfolio.
    Jan 5 07:32 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Buffett advises you buy index funds not that you invest like he does.
    Jan 5 07:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment