Roger Nusbaum

View Roger Nusbaum's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Jason Zweig Is Wrong About Gold [View article]
    you are correct, I misread the search result.
    Jul 23, 2015. 08:25 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • All That Crap About Not Panicking? [View article]
    what percentage of your portfolio is in cash, how long has it been in cash and how much of the bull market has occurred without that cash? have you ever bought "some DGI stocks at a discount" in the face of a 20% decline ever before?
    Jul 8, 2015. 08:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • All That Crap About Not Panicking? [View article]
    you can do a search for "Roger Nusbaum 200 DMA" either on seeking alpha, randomroger.com or google and probably 500 posts that answer your question.
    Jul 6, 2015. 10:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • All That Crap About Not Panicking? [View article]
    the article was written on June 29th and posted July 2nd

Jul 5, 2015. 11:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Aspiring Retirees Be Nudged Into Living Off Dividends Alone? [View article]
    "... This type of investing strategy would not serve the short-sighted goals of investment advisors and brokers since it would deprive them of the large quantity of commissions that are coincident with the churn that has brought them their riches."

This is more of a 1980's or 1990's line of thinking.

The argument against DGI, is doing it (or any strategy) exclusively which can make for poor diversification to the extent that a lot of the stocks fitting the DGI description are vulnerable to the same things.

I realize most of this group won't care too much about this point but is more the case against it from advisors than quoted excerpt.
    Jun 17, 2015. 02:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Working In Retirement Is A Hope? [View article]
    finding a job obviously can be difficult, I think maybe the context I really mean is creating your own job which is why I talk about planning early, monetizing a hobby and generally being as outside the box as possible.
    Jun 1, 2015. 11:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The (Investment) World Is Changing And You Need To Get On Board [View article]
    obviously there will be far fewer people with pensions unless you are including Social Security in your comment.
    May 21, 2015. 01:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Close To Retirement And Under-Saved, What Should You Do? [View article]
    certain cities sure, we live in a low cost, semi-rural area and need vehicles.
    May 14, 2015. 12:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    IZZKUBE2.5

Thank you yes, if I was not clear my personal intention is to work (because I enjoy it) and wait.

Of course who know where they will be or how their interests might change in 10 or 20 years, so I try to be cognizant of that as well.

Thanks again
    Apr 26, 2015. 08:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    thanks for the kind word...I should have mentioned my parents split when I was a kid so her benefit did double but yes you are very right that it would have been a hit to her if they'd stayed together
    Apr 23, 2015. 09:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    the $450k income issue is not something I am burdened with LOL
    Apr 23, 2015. 09:54 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    Chancer,

I take a slightly different view. A retired couple (or person) has a desired income need (fixed monthly expenses, unbudgetable surprises and travel budget for example) based on their lifestyle.

Putting aside when to take SS for a moment, that income need will first be met with SS. Then any need beyond would likely come from investments and maybe some sort of part time work.

In that light the 4% would be looked at as being the sustainability point for the portfolio...hopefully. If expenses are $50k, $30k comes from SS and the portfolio has $800k then the $20k needed from the portfolio would not be too much. If in that example the portfolio was only $400k then either the lifestyle needs to be ratcheted down, someone needs to work or the withdrawal rate would exceed the 4% which may or may not be a problem depending how the market does and individual investment performance.
    Apr 22, 2015. 09:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    kingdad,

I may not be following you correctly my father just passed away in February. He was getting his full benefit and my mother was getting the spousal benefit (1/2 of his benefit). Upon his passing her benefit went up to his benefit amount, meaning it doubled.

The start of your comment reads to me like you may not be aware of that. Sorry if I misunderstood.
    Apr 22, 2015. 09:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    Jrp2x,

Roth's make for a good discussion. The tax on converting is a tough obstacle (at least for me) to overcome but we've been contributing to Roth's more recently after doing a conversion in the late 90's. For now they make up about 14% of what we have saved so far.

I am not one who believes the tax treatment will change unfavorably.
    Apr 22, 2015. 08:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Social Security And Portfolio Withdrawals: It's Complicated [View article]
    stxmahn,

you are exactly right about learning file and suspend
    Apr 22, 2015. 08:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment