Roger Nusbaum

View Roger Nusbaum's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Benefits Of Proper Risk Budgeting [View article]
    what you're really describing is suitable asset allocation. Your six months cash might be someone else's three months or 12 months but it is a crucial point and part of any financial plan.
    Jan 29, 2015. 03:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Can The Bond Bull Keep Going? [View article]
    "Yields have a long way down to go"

That would be a fascinating development if you turn out to be correct. I guess I disagree but clearly all outcomes are on the table
    Jan 7, 2015. 08:06 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MLPs Weren't Supposed To Decline [View article]
    LINE has been a lightning rod, relatively high profile and high vol holding, it first popped on my radar a couple of years ago after a Barron's article torched it. Where my job involves stewarding other people's money I try to avoid names like this. I think the risks from the standpoint of a professional are unnecessary and for a do-it-yourselfer i would say to really look in the mirror about how much risk/vol you need to take on. Where income vehicles are concerned I would much rather field complaints about how boring they are.
    Jan 3, 2015. 04:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Holiday Randoms [View article]
    "... not name it?"

Compliance reasons.
    Dec 30, 2014. 02:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jorge Posada's (Financial) Slump [View article]
    Active management is many more things than just buying actively managed funds.
    Dec 23, 2014. 02:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Experts Weigh In On Solving Retirement [View article]
    glad to know 'things are good,' but how close where you on the retirement-expense box? I write a lot about fixed expenses and unexpected expenses like new tires, large vet bill and so on. Any other sort of surprises from your experience?
    Nov 28, 2014. 04:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Overcoming Financial Pessimism [View article]
    I've blogged many times that I expect to get means tested down to little or no Social Security benefit and that I meet no reasonable definition of being rich.

As far as forgetting people have been retired, it seems like you didn't read the post. Specifically"...which is where monetizing a hobby comes in. For anyone new, this refers to putting in serious time to excel at something you enjoy while figuring out how it might be able to provide a supplementary income. This relieves some of the burden off of the portfolio, avoids being forced to find whatever you can just to make ends meet, and also keeps you engaged."

I've been laid off before (Sept 2001) although I was not retirement age. I saw the layoff coming about a year and a half ahead of time and I prepared for it. Not everyone may see a lay off coming but most people can prepare for such an outcome one way or another as opposed to "simply sit back and just take what is foisted upon them" which is another quote from this post.
    Sep 13, 2014. 06:56 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Allocation Or Stock Selection - An Example [View instapost]
    This is interesting. I did not read Chuck's article but it would be interesting to know the risk adjusted stats of all of this. If for example Chuck's all-equity portfolio had better (or worse) stats versus the combos you list in your table, that would be worth knowing...if such a thing even is of interest to you.
    Sep 7, 2014. 09:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • So It Turned Out 80% In Precious Metals Was A Bad Idea [View article]
    there is no longer enough gold to back one of the larger currencies.
    Sep 6, 2014. 08:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is This Bull Market Real? [View article]
    To the extent you are interested, if you do a google search for random roger 200 dma you will probably find a couple of hundred blog posts
    Aug 30, 2014. 10:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Overcoming Secular Stagnation [View article]
    This post does not critique the Fed it explores whether there could be consequences from the Fed's action and what the portfolio implications might be.
    Aug 18, 2014. 07:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • You're Gonna Need A Bigger Bucket [View article]
    Aug 13, 2014. 11:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • You're Gonna Need A Bigger Bucket [View article]
    Many "new" things do indeed blow up at some point. It is probably too early to know about yieldcos.
    Aug 13, 2014. 07:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • You're Gonna Need A Bigger Bucket [View article]
    nothing yet but will keep following this. Obviously the Barron's article was written before the Kinder news. It will be interesting to see how this changes the entire landscape (beyond the yieldco) concept.
    Aug 13, 2014. 07:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Income Investing Evolves, Volatility Doesn't [View article]
    ...a personal inventory of volatility tolerance would be a good starting point, perhaps past reactions/actions in previous times of adverse market conditions as a starting point. For many years I have been writing about having various types of exposures, some volatile with yield and others that have low volatility but obviously less yield.
    Aug 7, 2014. 05:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment